Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 09:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
My sister has a step son on disability... Guess what for... He is a heroin addict.. Some disability... Makes her mad and me too...He is in jail at the moment, where he belongs, but he is still drawing his check each and every month.. It's outrageous...
Social Security and SSDI are suspended during prison terms of 30+ days.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:09 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I've never heard of people who suffer from depression getting disability, although it can be very debilitating to some. Where are you getting this info from
It's not just "depressed" like the guy alleged it is suffering from a prolonged condition. Bipolar is certainly covered but depression is possible. But not situational depression such as losing a loved one. It has to be persistent, debilitating and last more than a year. Even most clinical depression doesn't fit that.

So, I'd think most depressed people wouldn't qualify and those that did would be on meds that were not helping. Bipolar can be a lot more severe and a lot of these people will just kill themselves anyway.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Let her work. She enjoys it and definitely needs the money, just to pay her rent and live self-sufficiently. Good for her, I say!
Any idea how much she earns?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:16 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
It's not just "depressed" like the guy alleged it is suffering from a prolonged condition. Bipolar is certainly covered but depression is possible. But not situational depression such as losing a loved one. It has to be persistent, debilitating and last more than a year. Even most clinical depression doesn't fit that.

So, I'd think most depressed people wouldn't qualify and those that did would be on meds that were not helping. Bipolar can be a lot more severe and a lot of these people will just kill themselves anyway.
What?? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Do you even know the difference between manic depressive and Bi polar.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Yet, I , personally, know a couple people receiving disability income for brain BBQ, due to drug use. They aren't a friends of mine, just people I know. It's kind of irritating, that such a condition is a qualifying factor for benefits. Oh, I'm sure they are messed up, but, makes ya raise an eyebrow.
But what to do with them? That's where we start making societal damages to not punish someone for their condition after they paid in to the system. Any idea what their check is and how long long they worked and what the earned?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:20 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,673,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Any idea how much she earns?
Washing dishes? I think she told me she earns $9/hr and works something like 25 hours a week max. Her hours are inconsistent, though.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
It should be noted in the case of older people, consideration is given based on if you can do the job you have done most of your life. For example if a 55 year old was a laborer all their life and can no longer physically do that type of work that must be considered even though they could be perfectly fine at a sit down job but have no skills to do such.
Correct. This is based on a grid. Generally the younger you are the more scrutiny they have for re-training. This can really suck because if you are young and can do ANYTHING they are going to try EVEN if the job they suggest ISN'T AVAILABLE ANYWHERE near you.

For example, if you can't handle the pressure of taking directions from a boss they may find a job on an assembly line putting caps on bottles without a boss nearby. They don't give a damn if such a factory doesn't exist in your job market.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I've never heard of people who suffer from depression getting disability, although it can be very debilitating to some. Where are you getting this info from
You'd be wrong (again).

I know a lady who is in some kind of depressive medical condition, nothing else wrong with her, lives on Prozac, and gets everything from SSDI to food stamps.

She's a basket case.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
Seriously, I don't think there is a single thing enjoyable about not working, not producing anything of value, plus living on $700 per month.
Really, you can assume I am jealous of folks that don't work and have barely any money, all day long, that is fine.
I just want it on record that I cannot imagine a more hideous life than doing nothing for very little money! I love working. I love my job and I can't imagine how living on that little money would be in the slightest bit enjoyable...really?
That seems to be a standard response from left wing nut jobs: You're just jealous.

That would be like being jealous of a slug.

lol

Old 06-22-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
What?? You obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Do you even know the difference between manic depressive and Bi polar.
This is an area you don't want to challenge me in. But if you insist, please tell me but in the form of links to SSA since that's what we're talking about.

I cannot wait to learn the difference between bi-polar and manic depression. I'd pop corn if it wouldn't make the keyboard greasy so please hurry. I want a snack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies