Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 08:33 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,914,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you've reached your tipping point, what you going to do? Become guilty of what you believe everyone assumes you to be?
Nope, when I wave to one, and they are clearly looking at me, I will just tell them off...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2013, 08:36 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,257,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Oh really? Who were there BLACK slaveholders? Its alright I hold no grudges though...
Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms

There were lots of black slaveholders. You better learn your history a little better.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,498,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
You can't completely wipe it out, no. Is it completely fixed? No. But at a certain point you have to let progress happen naturally. I feel we are now at that point. If people are foolish enough to try the same crap again we have enough power and know-how to fight it. If you keep beating up someone when they are trying to do the right thing, they eventually quit trying. They figure you aren't going to be happy anyway, so why bother. That is how it plays out in our everyday lives and relationships, that's how it plays out intuitionally.
It's not that. Of course attitudes have been changing in the South, but there's still a lot of racism down there. (and in places in the North) And do I believe that if given the chance, several southern states would try to impose restrictions on voting for blacks? Absolutely. I don't think the threat of Jim Crow can cease to be a threat until all of the people of the generation who remember life before the Civil Rights Era have died off. Only then can the South as a region--as a whole--can be said to have truly changed.

400 years of entrenched, institutional racism cannot be wiped clean in less than 40. That's simply the way it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Bull I have worked all over the South and have not seen what you speak of perhaps you live in a town with saggers and gangbangers who live to be loosers most Blacks I met don't fit that mold and are quite nice to meet and we worked together as friends and neighbors.I work in construction and have more contact with blacks and Mexicans than most who post on here not to mention skinheads and parolled murderers and such. Don't try to educate me about anything.been there done that. Farmer,commercial fisherman,bluewater sailor,big game outfitter,wrangler,always self employed and happy and not blaming others for the bad days just getting up in the morning and trying something new that could turn a profit and provide a needed service. Senior citizen now and finishing it off as a high end finish Carpenter sure miss the good old days some try to hate.Do it by yourself
Not sure what all this has to do with my post. I'm talking about voting rights and you're talking about your outdoor activities. Okay. I too lived and worked in the South, and came away convinced more than ever that that region cannot be trusted with minority rights just yet. Have things changed? Somewhat. But there's still a LOT of racist attitudes down there. It's appalling.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:44 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,222,820 times
Quote:
Black Slave Owners Civil War Article by Robert M Grooms

There were lots of black slaveholders. You better learn your history a little better.
That looks like a pro confederate website

Old 06-25-2013, 08:45 PM

40,996 posts, read 49,376,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
But there's still a LOT of racist attitudes down there. It's appalling.
Mostly on the Blacks hating on the Hispanics. Racism is not a one way street.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:47 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,257,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
That looks like a pro confederate website
They used statistics from the US census

Slavery wasn't about race, it was about economics. Yes, most of the slaves happened to be black, but that's because they were sourcing them from Africa.

I often ask myself if American education system is failing, clearly it is..

Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,498,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Mostly on the Blacks hating on the Hispanics. Racism is not a one way street.
Of course it isn't. Who said it was? Then care to explain all old white guys I met down there who constantly complained about black people? Sure. That place has changed. Almost nobody's racist down there anymore. Sure.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:48 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,051,917 times
Why is everone trying to relive the days of slavery,all them folks are dead and history clearly explains how the African tribes held and sold slaves as they do even today Even my Irish great grandparents were indentured slaves till they could earn or buy their freedom,such were the times back then. Not so much with my Sicilian ansestors. Them people were so tired of being invaded and kept as slaves they formed the Mafia

Old 06-25-2013, 08:49 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,222,820 times
Quote:
They used statistics from the US census

Slavery wasn't about race, it was about economics. Yes, most of the slaves happened to be black, but that's because they were sourcing them from Africa.

I often ask myself if American education system is failing, clearly it is..
An apologist for slave owners.

Not surprised in the least.

Old 06-25-2013, 08:50 PM

22,690 posts, read 24,710,650 times
The Racepimps have to have this deal.....it rallies their dues paying fans!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies