Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2013, 08:55 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
IF all that Fed money was going into the stock market the P/E ratio would be HUGELY out of whack
I disagree.

QE inflates asset prices, and corporate earnings are heavily influenced by asset prices.

I'm not sure what your logic is, exactly, but it seems to me you're assuming U.S. corporate earnings are a reflection of (A) The American economy, or (B) The American consumer.

Not all corporate earnings are equal, and there's really no fast-and-easy way to measure the quality of earnings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
and they have been awesome. The DJIA was about 6,500 when Obama was elected. At this moment it is 14,866 -- about 600 points off its all-time-high.
And... you're failing to recognize that as the next artificial bubble to replace the burst housing bubble, which replaced the burst dotcom bubble, because...?

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
I disagree.

QE inflates asset prices
Agree. It's another artificially inflated bubble ...which will eventually burst, just like all the others.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:14 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,200,125 times
Quote:
And yet I've got a pretty good track record.

What's YOUR track record?
Did you call the end of the recession and the bottom of the stock market back in 2009?
How about the election? Did you pick Obama to win?
How about the gold collapse - how'd you do on that?
Hmmmmmm

You can lead a wingnut to knowledge, but you can't make him think.

Ken

PS - And, ah - you might work on your spelling. "It's "balfor" not "balfour" (that's someone else).
You do realize that any time you use the phrase 'wingnut' you immediately make yourself look foolish, don't you?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:53 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
You do realize that any time you use the phrase 'wingnut' you immediately make yourself look foolish, don't you?
Only to the wingnuts.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Only to the wingnuts.
...to anyone who actually thinks for themselves. It makes you look as stupid as using phrases like 'Nobama' and other stupidity like that.

But hey, I guess it is easier to put down one party than it is to critically think through issues on your own, isn't it?

Old 06-26-2013, 12:02 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
How's unemployment? How about food stamp enrollment? Are these the people landing prime rate mortgages for their overpriced homes?
Unemployment is falling - and with a rate of descent similar to the last recession. It's not a rapid descent, but neither was the recovery from the last recession. This one was just a lot deeper to begin with so it's taking a lot longer to get down to a decent UE rate, but the RATE at which UE is falling is roughly the same at which the rate fell during the early 2000's recession. A graph shows that quite clearly.

Portal Seven | Unemployment Rate - US
Portal Seven | U6 Unemployment Rate

Food stamp enrollment is extremely high - so?
It'll come back down as the UE continues to drop. Part of the reason food stamp usage is so high is because a LOT of people were laid off from 2007-2009 so the backlog is enormous. However, another big reason there's so many people on foodstamps is because the government made it so much easier to QUALIFY for food stamps. Even if the economy was doing wonderful, foodstamp usage would STILL be elevated because it's now easier than ever to get foodstamps.

Are buyers getting prime rate mortgages? Some are, some aren't - same as always, so what? If you are implying that folks who shouldn't be getting mortgages ARE getting them, well, that's not so much the case anymore since lending standards are a lot higher than they used to be.
The upshot is, the economy has been recovering for several years now - despite what you may claim - and it will CONTINUE to recover - and little by little more and more Americans are realizing that:

Americans' View of Economy Hits Post-Recession High: Survey

Ken

Old 06-26-2013, 12:21 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,319,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
...to anyone who actually thinks for themselves. It makes you look as stupid as using phrases like 'Nobama' and other stupidity like that.

But hey, I guess it is easier to put down one party than it is to critically think through issues on your own, isn't it?
I'm not putting down "one party". I'm putting down wacko EXTREMISTS. Plenty of rational people in the GOP, just not the wingnuts - just as there are some irrational extremists in the Democratic party. The fact is, most of the wingnuts are not even really Republicans, they're Libertarians or Independents (and not all Libertarians or Independents are wingnuts). There' are HOWEVER a LOT of wingnuts on THIS board - just as there are a LOT of Neo-NAZIs and their endless threads on race. Neither of those groups are in the slightest way representative of America as a whole, but there's a lot of them HERE, and in general they are overly dogmatic and pretty much clueless - hence "wingnuts". The term fits, so I use it.

Ken

Old 06-26-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
I'm not putting down "one party". I'm putting down wacko EXTREMISTS. Plenty of rational people in the GOP, just not the wingnuts - just as there are some irrational extremists in the Democratic party. The fact is, most of the wingnuts are not even really Republicans, they're Libertarians or Independents (and not all Libertarians or Independents are wingnuts). There' are HOWEVER a LOT of wingnuts on THIS board - just as there are a LOT of Neo-NAZIs and their endless threads on race. Neither of those groups are in the slightest way representative of America as a whole, but there's a lot of them HERE, and in general they are overly dogmatic and pretty much clueless - hence "wingnuts". The term fits, so I use it.

Ken
Using derogatory terms to describe a group of people is hardly the way to start an adult conversation. The term doesn't fit, it is nothing but something thrown around to perpetuate rifts between people instead of trying to actually understand where the other person is coming from and trying to understand how to reach that person on an intellectual level. Talking that way never does any good for the conversation.

Old 06-26-2013, 02:01 PM

7,495 posts, read 5,745,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Unless you have another answer, which I'm sure some will, Bush of course has to have something to do with it .............lol

Market Performance Since Bernanke May 22 - Business Insider
I've been saying this for years and all that money goes right into the village idiots donors pockets.. Nice!

Meanwhile back at the ranch millions out of work.. Stopped looking for work.. Food stamps and freebies for everyone! Obammie world!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies