Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:38 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times

Advertisements

The OP's post is indicative of EXACTLY why the media really screwed up the Zimmerman-Martin case by framing in terms of race.

Stand your Ground needs to be re-evaluated because it is leading to people picking fights, getting their a***** whooped, and then pulling out a gun to stop a fight they caused.

But the media is the biggest hypocrite of all. Apropos in ALL of this, is the case of Trevor Dooley, a black man who picked a fight with a white man over skateboarding, and then shot and killed the white guy in front of his daughter. He was initially brought in, but then was released pending investigation of his self-defense claims.

Same thing happened as in Zimmerman.

I don't agree with this guy's politics, but his analysis is spot.on.:

George Zimmerman & Trevor Dooley : Stand Your Ground Hypocrisy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 08:39 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordlover View Post
Well, read up on it really quickly.

Major difference in the case. Zimmerman was being beat up, he drew his gun and fired.

This lady left the house, went out to her car, got the gun, then came back in the house and fired it. She was the aggressor in this case. She should have gone to her car and called 911, or even better left and came back with the cops.

Hmmm...

Maybe Zimmerman should've waited on the cops.

Old 07-05-2013, 08:46 AM

78,438 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
The OP's post is indicative of EXACTLY why the media really screwed up the Zimmerman-Martin case by framing in terms of race.

Stand your Ground needs to be re-evaluated because it is leading to people picking fights, getting their a***** whooped, and then pulling out a gun to stop a fight they caused.

But the media is the biggest hypocrite of all. Apropos in ALL of this, is the case of Trevor Dooley, a black man who picked a fight with a white man over skateboarding, and then shot and killed the white guy in front of his daughter. He was initially brought in, but then was released pending investigation of his self-defense claims.

THis has been my opinion since the start. There have been MANY cases similar to zimmermans where people have wound up dead and no charges have been brought.

THe problem is the loosey goosey SYG laws.

Old 07-06-2013, 04:17 PM

3 posts, read 2,791 times
Newsflash for you people...........I know Marissa Alexander and I can tell you right now it wasn't a warning shot. She just missed. To say nothing of the fact that while she was out on bail for THAT she got back with the abusive husband AGAIN and they got into yet another brawl which caused her bail to be revoked until trial. If she was so afraid of him why would she go back to him AGAIN AFTER the shooting incident?

She fired that gun in anger and she got EXACTLY what she deserved. Even if the husband WAS abusive she fired a weapon in the direction of his CHILDREN who were standing right there.

This is how Marissa has always chosen to live her life and consequences be damned. Well THIS time it caught up to her and personally I hope she has to serve every single day of the sentence. Her kids are better off being raised by others.

Old 07-06-2013, 05:13 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,968,825 times
Agreed, SYG really needs to be evaluated. Immediately after Martin's shooting, legislators were defending the SYG law, stating it was written for women, that it is necessary. Many articles appeared in newspapers about the qualities of SYG because it was so much under attack here.

I remember when the SYG law was first passed, a motorist was stopped at a toll booth for a long time pulling together change. A young man and his girl friend pulled up behind him in a pick up truck. The young man blew his horn a few times. He then got together change, got out of the truck, walked to the car sitting at the toll gate, tapped on the window to give the guy the change and was shot in the face and killed. The shooter sped away and was found by his tag. The police found the quarters by the young man's body, but the guy won his SYG hearing. I am not sure that would occur again now that some tests have been applied. But, there just seems to be no reasonable man test, or else it's really screwed up.

I don't think Zimmerman's motivation was racial, but Martin was profiled. The media was responsible for the frenzy, and the history of Sanford, FL where the shooting occurred had a part in it too.

Thank you for sharing the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post

Old 07-15-2013, 03:21 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
The jury in the Marissa Alexander trial deliberated for TWELVE, yes, all of twelve minutes. That's hardly enough time to sit down and decide a foreperson.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:11 PM

The jury foreman is elected before he trial begins. it only took them 12 minutes because of the overwhelming evidence of her guilt. SOMEtimes things aren't about race. They're just what they're about.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:16 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyle View Post
The jury foreman is elected before he trial begins. it only took them 12 minutes because of the overwhelming evidence of her guilt. SOMEtimes things aren't about race. They're just what they're about.
No, the jury foreman is elected when the jury first meets up to determine a verdict.

You can't even go through a few pages of evidence or testimony in 12 minutes.

I'm not saying that the Marissa Alexander case is only about race. I think it's about problems in the laws protecting victims of domestic violence, and it's about severe problems with mandatory sentences, as well as the fact that she wasn't allowed to use the stand-your-ground defense. Also, the fact that she was convicted for what could have happened, not what really did happen, which is that no one got so much as a scratch on them.

George Zimmerman got out of his car while armed and followed Trayvon. I don't see that as much different from Marissa Alexander going to her car to get a gun.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:18 PM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Florida's stand-your-ground law put to test in Marissa Alexander conviction | World news | guardian.co.uk

You might want to read details of the case against her instead of cherry picking the facts. She left to the garage, went to the vehicle, got the gun, went back in the home, and then shot at her husband.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Doesn't this seem bizarre to you?

The same State Attorney who initially did not even charge George Zimmerman prosecuted an abused woman for firing a warning shot at her abusive husband.

In Tampa Florida last month, Marissa Alexander, who had never been arrested before, fired a bullet at a wall to scare off her abusive husband when he threatened her. Nobody got hurt, but this month she received a mandatory sentence of 20 years in prison.

Alexander, a black 31-year-old mother, had claimed self-defense, but the judge would not allow Alexander to invoke her "stand your ground" rights. State Attorney Angela Corey, who also is overseeing the prosecution of shooter George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin case, says she believes the bullet she fired could have ricocheted and hit any of them. But the gun was fired into the wall away from her husband and his sons.

Her husband had been arrested for domestic violence twice, and convicted once, and Alexander had a protective order on him!

Marissa Alexander Gets 20 Years For Firing Warning Shot

Old 07-15-2013, 09:22 PM

Not only that Victim she had gone back to him over and over again INCLUDING AFTER SHE FIRED THE GUN AND GOT ARRESTED FOR IT. They once more got into a brawl and her bail was revoked and she went back to jail until trial. Marissa is NOT blameless in this. She dealt out as much violence as he did. She exposed her own small children to it over and over again. Even if not for herself who exposes little kids to violent situations like that? To say nothing of her firing that gun while Gray's children were present. THAT'S inexcusable. The bottom line is, by her own admission she left got a gun and came back and fired it. I'll say it again: she didn't fire a warning shot. She fired and missed because the gun kicked on her. She intended to kill him. Is 20 years too much for that? I'm not sure. Trying to shoot someone while they're standing next to their children is pretty bad in my book. Is Gray faultless in all this? Of course not but the reality is HE didn't pick up a gun. She did. Got what she deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies