Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 08:40 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,654,874 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Because it's not there. From your source:

"Newburn says Alexander's case is not an isolated incident, and that people ensnared by mandatory-minimum laws cross racial barriers.

In central Florida, a white man named Orville Lee Wollard is nearly two years into a 20-year sentence for firing his gun inside his house to scare his daughter's boyfriend. Prosecutors contended that Wollard was shooting at the young man and missed.

He rejected a plea deal that offered probation but no prison time. Like Alexander, he took his chances at trial and was convicted of aggravated assault with a firearm. Circuit Judge Donald Jacobsen said he was "duty bound" by the 10-20-life law to impose the harsh sentence."
Yes, I see. It's crazy.

But this woman had a protective order against the husband. She acted stupidly and I think she should have served some time, but the problem is with these mandatory sentences that do not give judges or juries the chance to take into account the circumstances of a crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 08:47 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,267,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
Yes, I see. It's crazy.

But this woman had a protective order against the husband. She acted stupidly and I think she should have served some time, but the problem is with these mandatory sentences that do not give judges or juries the chance to take into account the circumstances of a crime.
I am aware of that. The R's in FL wanted to look like they were tough on crime and so they enacted this law. Drug laws are similar. In CA 3 felony offenses will get you life in prison and most are due to drugs. Crack is treated differently than cocaine , but meth isn't treated the same even though it is probably worse.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I am aware of that. The R's in FL wanted to look like they were tough on crime and so they enacted this law. Drug laws are similar. In CA 3 felony offenses will get you life in prison and most are due to drugs. Crack is treated differently than cocaine , but meth isn't treated the same even though it is probably worse.
Once again that seems racial. Many more blacks than whites are locked up for drug crimes. And meth is the poor white man's drug.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:53 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Doesn't this seem bizarre to you?

The same State Attorney who initially did not even charge George Zimmerman prosecuted an abused woman for firing a warning shot at her abusive husband.

In Tampa Florida last month, Marissa Alexander, who had never been arrested before, fired a bullet at a wall to scare off her abusive husband when he threatened her. Nobody got hurt, but this month she received a mandatory sentence of 20 years in prison.

Alexander, a black 31-year-old mother, had claimed self-defense, but the judge would not allow Alexander to invoke her "stand your ground" rights. State Attorney Angela Corey, who also is overseeing the prosecution of shooter George Zimmerman in the Trayvon Martin case, says she believes the bullet she fired could have ricocheted and hit any of them. But the gun was fired into the wall away from her husband and his sons.

Her husband had been arrested for domestic violence twice, and convicted once, and Alexander had a protective order on him!

Marissa Alexander Gets 20 Years For Firing Warning Shot
Good ole boy southern justice. Why any woman would live south of Iowa is a mystery to me.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Once again that seems racial. Many more blacks than whites are locked up for drug crimes. And meth is the poor white man's drug.
Crack laws ARE racial. More blacks are locked up because dealers are punished more harshly than users and it is much easier to find a dealer than a user. I think the argument for the disparity in sentencing was that crack is changed from its original form and hence more potent. Okay, maybe, but then meth should be on the same level as crack. Meth is just as addictive as crack.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:55 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times
Quote:
She had much stronger grounds for self-defense than Zimmerman, including the fact that her husband had previous convictions for domestic violence, unlike Trayvon Martin who was an innocent boy. And yet she was still prosecuted and is going to spend 20 years in prison.
No, she didn't, and anyone who has looked at the case and knows anything about the law knows it.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Good ole boy southern justice. Why any woman would live south of Iowa is a mystery to me.
Had nothing to do with being a woman, black, or the south. IL has minimum sentencing laws too.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
You are seeing the reasoning behind this, right? Let's see, black kid unarmed is murdered, it's justifiable. Black woman fires warning shot instead of murdering, justifiable to toss her in jail.
Yes northnut, it's just that simple. No differences in the cases or anything.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:00 PM

Quote:
To me it was a clear case of self-defense. Much clearer than in the Zimmerman case.
You're still saying this?

She want out to her car, got a gun, and brought it back inside, with the intent to use it.

How you can compare these cases is beyond me. You guys are just grasping at straws now.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post

It looks more like why would any black person live in Central Florida?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies