Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2014, 08:02 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Fugitive US leaker Snowden 'fears for his life'
Good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 08:35 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Snowden is a national hero, and should be treated as such.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:40 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,449,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
As well he should. And not from US actions.
The US government was taking away soooo many freedoms that he had no choice but to run to the haven of democracy that is Russia.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 AM

20,892 posts, read 16,083,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
He is.

In Russia.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:42 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,651,291 times
Awww. Poor baby!

Old 01-22-2014, 08:55 AM

37 posts, read 142,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Exactly. Not surprised all the fox newsies are cheering for his death or capture...guess they enjoy being spied on...

Old 01-22-2014, 08:59 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Gee, I guess he needed to rethink his decision to out US secrets then, huh.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:01 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
He should be more afraid of what they will do before it is made public that he is captured.
He is no hero. He chose a path that made him a traitor. He chose bedfellows who are hostile to the United States. His very actions bring into question his motivations.
I detest that the NSA and the government feel free to disregard our constitution. I detest that the POTUS an alleged constitutional scholar seems to be fine with the misdeeds. None of this earns Snowden a free pass. He deserves to be put on trial for his crimes.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:06 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
You are running with the wrong crowd.

Just as many liberals, including me, consider Snowden a hero as a villain. There are just as many conservatives who think he's a bad guy as a hero, too.

Personally, I don't think he was heroic as much as a man of conscience. He saw a wrong, exposed it to the best of his ability, but did not accept that he had to be a martyr to the facts.

After seeing Bradley Manning's fate, I don't blame him. Why should anyone who blows the whistle automatically be a traitor, facing years in prison? Snowden simply understood what he was getting into, and made some plans beforehand. His conscience compelled him to expose what we all now understand was a danger to us all, and I'm glad he escaped the consequences so far. He was certainly brave in his actions. How many of us are prepared to give up their entire life for doing something that needs to be done?

Snowden will never be 'home' again. He will never have full amnesty, and he won't ever be able to come back to his former all-American life, family, relationships and friendships, again. He had a good, well-paying lifetime career as a secret keeper ahead of him, too. How many of us would willingly give up a $240,000 a year job in their 20's for nothing but a clear conscience?
Not me, for sure, or anyone I know. Especially these days. If i was his father, I would have done my best to discourage his plans.

Secrets are a slow acting poison that always corrupts their keepers. Secrets are also the most potent addiction a human can have. As long as a regular vaccine- exposing secrets- does not happen, they take over and grow like cancer on our society. They are a cancer on any society.
Blowing the whistle did not make Snowden a traitor. What made Snowden a traitor was revealing classified information to foreign governments. Had he simply exposed the illegal activities of the NSA, and kept his mouth shut about everything else he knows, then he would be a hero to every American. However, Snowden crossed that line in the sand when he gave China, Russia, and other nations the information the US was collecting on them.

As I have said before, I admire the courage of his convictions and I praise him for exposing the NSA spying on Americans, but should he ever return to the US I would want him tried for treason.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:22 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,530,629 times
I am pretty liberal leaning and absolutely consider Snowden a criminal. When one agrees to work for a high security job, either within the government or contractually, you make a promise to keep classified information classified. Although I do not agree with many things NSA has been doing, Snowden did put national security at risk by releasing this information. He could have chosen to follow protocol and been a whistleblower but he opted to take matters into his own hands. He is no hero and deserves to be prosecuted. The fact that some of NSA's unlawful practices were exposed is not justification for his actions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies