Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2013, 10:38 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
People in the US are already paying that for healthcare.
My policy is $70/month and a policy for a 50 year old is about $230/month. Policies that cover everything under the sun are likely to approach $10K if you have a large family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2013, 10:40 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,372,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
My policy is $70/month and a policy for a 50 year old is about $230/month. Policies that cover everything under the sun are likely to approach $10K if you have a large family.
I don't know what state you live in but where I live ours are a lot higher.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:43 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,823,190 times
Quote:
Thats what YOU pay. You are being subsidized. And no, the average family premiums are approaching $16k in the US.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
What we have right now is a monopolistic system. There is no competition at all. Having multiple private insurance companies is not real competition because not a single company is doing anything to drive costs down. Group rates are what set prices, and having a one million member geographical group plan is better than having several thousand in one geographical area, don't you think? Since government has the incentive, due to political pressure, to reduce costs, they will have lower reimbursements than private companies. Medicare already does this, but then at the same time you guys complain out of the other side of your mouths that the government doesn't pay doctors enough. In the UK, where healthcare is more monopolistic than in continental Europe, healthcare costs are nowhere near through the roof like they are in the US, so your theory of monopolistic prices is just that, a theory unique to America
You are confusing the method of payment with the healthcare system. The healthcare system is monopolistic, not the insurance market. Though insurance does have a high barrier to entry and cannot, by law, compete across state lines, the insurance companies do not have the power to set prices. Hospitals do though.

When a company in competitive field has a department that is losing money what should they do? Outsource it, spin it off, sell it, contract it to the employees, or shut it down. Whatever they do they don't keep it open. Hospitals on the other hand shift the costs to other departments and raise the prices. Why do they do this? They do it because they can and regulations force you to pay hospital prices. Haven't you ever wondered why we don't have specialized clinics? Regulations..

Old 07-04-2013, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
I don't know what state you live in but where I live ours are a lot higher.
Illinois

Quote:
Thats what YOU pay. You are being subsidized. And no, the average family premiums are approaching $16k in the US.
How am I being subsidized? And as I said, if your have a large family and have a policy that covers everything under the sun the premiums will approach that. Family policies that don't cover everything under the sun are about $6K/year.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
You are confusing the method of payment with the healthcare system. The healthcare system is monopolistic, not the insurance market. Though insurance does have a high barrier to entry and cannot, by law, compete across state lines, the insurance companies do not have the power to set prices. Hospitals do though.

When a company in competitive field has a department that is losing money what should they do? Outsource it, spin it off, sell it, contract it to the employees, or shut it down. Whatever they do they don't keep it open. Hospitals on the other hand shift the costs to other departments and raise the prices. Why do they do this? They do it because they can and regulations force you to pay hospital prices. Haven't you ever wondered why we don't have specialized clinics? Regulations..
Time published an interesting article re hospitals and their charges. You should read it. Basically the rates that the charge are random. No logical reason for them. If you have some form of insurance their charges are heavily negotiated (downward). Without insurance, you are out of luck, you are charged the full amount. And even if you do have insurance you could easily go bankrupt paying copays.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Illinois

How am I being subsidized? And as I said, if your have a large family and have a policy that covers everything under the sun the premiums will approach that. Family policies that don't cover everything under the sun are about $6K/year.
Employer.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Time published an interesting article re hospitals and their charges. You should read it. Basically the rates that the charge are random. No logical reason for them. If you have some form of insurance their charges are heavily negotiated (downward). Without insurance, you are out of luck, you are charged the full amount. And even if you do have insurance you could easily go bankrupt paying copays.
I've read it. That article fully supports my claims.

Quote:
Employer.
It's a private policy from ehealthinsurance.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
I've read it. That article fully supports my claims.

It's a private policy from ehealthinsurance.
Depends on your age as well. And the type of health insurance that you have. Low premiums, high copays. High premiums, low copays. And many health insurance plans will now only pay 90%, not 100% (after deducts and copays) as was previously common.

Employers (the better ones) pay 70%-75% of the premium, employees pay the remainder. If you have family group health insurance thru your employer you might pay $5k-$6k a year. Your employer coughs up another $10k for you. And if you are jobless, you can be SOL.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Depends on your age as well. And the type of health insurance that you have. Low premiums, high copays. High premiums, low copays. And many health insurance plans will now only pay 90%, not 100% (after deducts and copays) as was previously common.

Employers (the better ones) pay 70%-75% of the premium, employees pay the remainder. If you have family group health insurance thru your employer you might pay $5k-$6k a year. Your employer coughs up another $10k for you. And if you are jobless, you can be SOL.
All the health plans I priced for different family sizes and ages all had policies that tell you exactly what your yearly out of pocket expense could be. I haven't seen any that cover X percent and leave the rest of an undetermined amount to the policyholder; I'm sure those might exist, I just haven't seen them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies