Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2013, 04:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Your maximum annual out of pocket expense is known though. Let's say you get cancer and have to visit the Dr. 3 times a week and need meds, surgery, the works, et al. You might incur $3 million in expenses in any given year, but your annual out of pocket expenses would be limited to what your policy states.

Check your policy or call your provider to find out what your maximum annual out of pocket expense is.
If my policy states I have a $20 co-pay for every doctor's visit, there is no way the out of pocket expense can be estimated. If there's some upper limit, yes, but it's probably pretty high. If you think you've gotten some great ins. for what you're spending, I have a beach in Colorado to sell you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2013, 04:08 PM

12,149 posts, read 8,417,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't have $200 laying around for stitches. Not a lot of people do, which is the point that Katiana is trying to make. You keep thinking the average person can just shell out $200-$300 for stitches like if they were going out to dine at a 5 star restaurant. If the average person isn't dining out at a 5 star restaurant at least once a year, what makes you think they can afford $200+ stitches out of pocket, which is more expensive than a 5 star meal for 2? It doesn't matter if it's $1000, or $500, or hell, even $100, expensive is still expensive
How much is your health worth?

You've illustrated the conundrum and the challenge. The same people who state they don't have $100 for the doctor probably have a car payment or a cell phone and pay rent or make a house payment. All of those cost more than $100.

It is simple priorities.

Old 07-05-2013, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
How much is your health worth?

You've illustrated the conundrum and the challenge. The same people who state they don't have $100 for the doctor probably have a car payment or a cell phone and pay rent or make a house payment. All of those cost more than $100.

It is simple priorities.
There's a point to that. However, many, many people are "penny wise, pound foolish".

Old 07-05-2013, 04:23 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,261,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If my policy states I have a $20 co-pay for every doctor's visit, there is no way the out of pocket expense can be estimated. If there's some upper limit, yes, but it's probably pretty high. If you think you've gotten some great ins. for what you're spending, I have a beach in Colorado to sell you.
You would need to check your policy. Some policies don't count Rx or Dr copays towards the deductibles, but most do and the max expense amount is stated in the policy. The selling points of many policies is usually coverage, premiums, and max out of pocket expense. I'm not sure you can make an informed decision about the policies offered if you take away any of those three things

Let's expand on this further though. Here is the financial breakdown of two plans that were available at one point. I haven't found any private plans that don't have coinsurance and have copays without requiring some deductible be met first.

_______________Plan A HSA approved_ VS_____ Plan B low deductible
Premium:_____________ $70_______________ $240
Annual premium:_______ $840______________ $2880
Annual deductible:______ $4500_____________ $1000
Dr visits:_________ Deductible applies_________ $25
Rx:_____________ Deductible applies_________ $10-$35 deductible waived
Rx deductible:_____ Deductible applies_________ $250
Coinsurance:______ None___________________ 20% subject to $3K limit
Max annual out of_______ $4500_____________ $3000
Pocket
Tax savings for HSA at:
20% tax rate:___________ $600______________ None
Max HSA contribution:_____$3000_____________None
Expense when healthy:___ $840____________ $2880
Expense when very sick:__ $5340_____________ $7130
After tax expense:______ $4740____________ $7130

Last edited by lycos679; 07-05-2013 at 05:24 PM.. Reason: add example

Old 07-05-2013, 09:58 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,126,656 times
Quote:
Yes you can.

My out of pocket caps out at $5k/year.

So long as I have $5k in the bank... And rebuild it whenever that $20 copy hits.... I'm covered for the year.

Easy to estimate.

If I get behind (car wreck ec)

I've still got a year of breathing room.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:42 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,480,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I don't have $200 laying around for stitches. Not a lot of people do, which is the point that Katiana is trying to make. You keep thinking the average person can just shell out $200-$300 for stitches like if they were going out to dine at a 5 star restaurant. If the average person isn't dining out at a 5 star restaurant at least once a year, what makes you think they can afford $200+ stitches out of pocket, which is more expensive than a 5 star meal for 2? It doesn't matter if it's $1000, or $500, or hell, even $100, expensive is still expensive
you'll be spending a lot more than that for singlepayer

'''most''' people are SUBSIDIZED through their employer...the employee pays 25% of the premium and the employer pays 75%

with singlepayer. 100% will be paid for by the individual taxpayer

100% or even 80/20 health care for 320 million people will easily cost 3-6 trillion each and every year

and it has zero to do with the profit of insurance or even insurance in the first place

the simple fact is health CARE costs...

those doctors, and those nurses (like Katiana) do need to get paid....and supplies and equipment is not(nor will it ever be) free

Old 07-06-2013, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you'll be spending a lot more than that for singlepayer

'''most''' people are SUBSIDIZED through their employer...the employee pays 25% of the premium and the employer pays 75%

with singlepayer. 100% will be paid for by the individual taxpayer

100% or even 80/20 health care for 320 million people will easily cost 3-6 trillion each and every year

and it has zero to do with the profit of insurance or even insurance in the first place

the simple fact is health CARE costs...

those doctors, and those nurses (like Katiana) do need to get paid....and supplies and equipment is not(nor will it ever be) free
You don't know how single payer works. Some systems have a tax on employers as well.

Don't forget the power bill. They don't use electricity in UHC countries.

Old 07-06-2013, 07:32 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times
I'm in favor of single payer if EVERYONE is taxed the same amount for it. And I don't mean the same rate, I mean the same amount. I'm very tired of subsidizing able-bodied leeches.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:06 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,783,260 times
Quote:
You don't know how single payer works. Some systems have a tax on employers as well.

Don't forget the power bill. They don't use electricity in UHC countries.
Japan keeps many of their government entities to around 60 degrees in winter time to conserved money.

Americans would freak out if they had to work in 60 degree temp in the winter time even though a sweater would be more than enough to work comfortably.

There are things they do in other countries to conserve money the US would consumer would be angry and against.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Single payer is the way to go.
I love how liberals are already admitting that Obamacare is a complete failure..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies