Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 05:35 AM

14,498 posts, read 11,325,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
If someone wants to get married what is it of anyone's business? ALL marriages occur without your consent and that's the way it should be...
That's not true. Marriages happen at the consent of society, if they weren't, the cops would go in and put a stop to it.

Old 07-14-2013, 05:41 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,084,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
That's not true. Marriages happen at the consent of society, if they weren't, the cops would go in and put a stop to it.
No they don't, at least not in the manner we're discussing here. Does society consent to each individual marrying, and scrutinize their sexual habits (among other things) before issuing a license? Only the concept of marriage is "supported" by society, the specific people getting married are not.

But society is now supporting the concept of same sex marriage, so the naysayers won't have any leg to stand on soon enough! Since the MAJORITY of our country now favors legalizing SSM, are you antis willing to admit "society as a whole" consents to their marriages? Time to accept that fact and move on with your lives.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:21 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,260,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Same sex couple can get married. They can propose to each other, rent out a banquet hall, have a big ceremony and invite all their friends. They can write up a marriage contract and sign power of attorney over to the spouse. No one is stopping them.

What most people are opposing is the forced recognition of homosexual marriage as having equal legal status as heterosexual marriage. That's really the bone of contention here.

The fact remains that state recognized marriage and all the benefits that come with that is a privilege granted by the state through the power of the people of that state. The argument that since some people get it then everyone should get it is a poor argument. If that's the case then everyone should get social security and welfare and foodstamps. It's the people's right to decide who they want to honor through law.
And the 14th amendment says
AMENDMENT XIV

SECTION 1.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Not to mention that the USSC has stated that marriage is a basic civil right.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:24 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,260,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morskoy View Post
Wrong. Pleasure is just a stimulus to do sex. What is the sex, I've mentioned earlier. Get some books on biology.

I've told you what perversion is. Desire to have sex with anyone or anything you cannot procreate with. If you have sex with an elefant, you are pervert. If you want have sex with the person of the same sex, you're pervert. If you have sex with a crocodile, you are pervert. No matter will you use condoms or not. This has nothing to do with the birth control or condoms.
So having sex with a sterile person is perverse?
How about an elderly couple having sex? They have no possibility of reproduction.

Old 07-14-2013, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
No they don't, at least not in the manner we're discussing here. Does society consent to each individual marrying, and scrutinize their sexual habits (among other things) before issuing a license? Only the concept of marriage is "supported" by society, the specific people getting married are not.
Oh boy! you really got me there!

Quote:
But society is now supporting the concept of same sex marriage, so the naysayers won't have any leg to stand on soon enough! Since the MAJORITY of our country now favors legalizing SSM, are you antis willing to admit "society as a whole" consents to their marriages? Time to accept that fact and move on with your lives.
Move on with my life? By that do you mean stop debating on this website? Because that is the extent of my involvement at this time.

BTW, when the majority of people in this country did not "consent" to gay marriage, did people who supported it "not have a leg to stand on"?

Old 07-14-2013, 08:54 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,418,776 times
Quote:
You want to hit me over the head with a frying pan, don't you?
He probably just wants you to educate yourself.

Old 07-14-2013, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think you need to get a book on English, because I read this three times and STILL can't figure out what you're trying to say! And I not only have a degree in English, but have worked as a librarian and teacher for almost a decade.

No, you've told us about your personal opinions on perversion - which don't even match any dictionary definition I've ever read.

You have your opinions, and that is all fine and dandy... but unless you can formulate a logical argument (not just personal feelings) against gay marriage, they really mean squat to the rest of us. Go to church or wherever you can find like-minded people to rant about dem gays, but let those who are gay decide for themselves who they want to marry. You don't even have to "accept" it as normal or natural, since most of the gay folks I know couldn't give a rat's arse what you think of their unions.
I think it might be stargazzer reincarnated after being banned.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So what you are saying is you have a degree in biology?
A Masters of Idiocy perhaps?

Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,963,297 times
Quote:
Tha point you missed is that you are not society. we all are. the majority have spoken and will continue to speak out.

Your own logic should accept that fact.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
He probably just wants you to educate yourself.
Educate myself? How do you mean?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies