Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 07:20 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times

Advertisements

Most people who make casual observations about black people should read Tally’s Corner and The Other America .
Things have not changed in 50 years. Minorities still today put no lower value on their; housing, jobs, education and their lives than the society around them does.
Many of jobs that poor men typically work have low pay and bad hours and can be physically demanding. The fathers you typically see a little league games and weekend soccer practices are always young professional guys who work their own hours like Dr.’s and business owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 07:22 AM

121 posts, read 142,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
It is still not proof of anything. you are forming a hypothesis out of your beliefs, not factual evidence
I worked in an office with a group of women when I was much younger. I recall there were 6 black women in the office, I was a teen at the time, 3 were 20 something, 1 was in her 30s, while the other was approaching 50. All of us had very different likes/dislikes and interests, but we all seemed to have one thing in common. None of us grew up with fathers in the home. While all of the white women in the office (and there were plenty of them), even if their parents divorced, still had a father figure in their life.

I remember thinking to myself, what are the chances that random black women who were raised in different areas of the country all have that one commonality. In my case, my father was married to my mother, but after they divorced, when I was 4, he went his separate way and never even called or stayed in touch or did anything for me or my siblings. My mom tried to sue him for child support when I was 15, but to my knowledge he relocated to the Caribbean (so the court system was never able to garnish his wages or hold him accountable).

I have 3 siblings. My mom was very fortunate because she came from a stable two parent home. My grandparents allowed her to move back into their home and study to become a nurse, which allowed her to purchase a home independently and raise 4 children alone.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherish643 View Post
I worked in an office with a group of women when I was much younger. I recall there were 6 black women in the office, I was a teen at the time, 3 were 20 something, 1 was in her 30s, while the other was approaching 50. All of us had very different likes/dislikes and interests, but we all seemed to have one thing in common. None of us grew up with fathers in the home.

I thought what are the chances that random black women who were raised in different areas all have that one commonality. In my case, my father was married to my mother, but after they divorced, when I was 4, he went his separate way and never even called.

I have 3 siblings. My mom was very fortunate because she came from a stable two parent home. My grandparents allowed her to move back into their home and study to become a nurse, which allowed her to purchase a home independently and raise 4 children alone.
And I can give you my own observations and experiences which would contradict yours, but neither is still proof. This is the part you are having a hard time understanding. You could come to the town I am currently living in, and you will find that 95% of the black households and mixed households have the father living in the house. You have to take many things into factor other then just skin color, you have to take geographical, social, economical, and many other factors into consideration.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I think it might be the area that you live in. I don't see this trend in higher income areas. Kids annoy me though, so I tend to stay away from family places.
I do a lot of traveling and I live in what is considered the black mecca "Atlanta." I have also lived in L.A., D.C., NYC and Chicago. Sadly, I've observed the same trends in all of these areas.

Currently I live in a slightly mixed (predominately white) middle/upper income community.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:33 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,155,515 times
Quote:
Here comes the PC police. You just can't speak certain truths, because some people become highly offended by the reality of your statements.

Hispanics speaking Spanish has nothing to do with my original post.
I'm the least "PC" person on this forum, sweetie.

Do you really think there is a single person here who doesn't understand that absent fathers among blacks is at an astronomical level? You're just figuring this out, dearie?

If your argument is that these women walking around during the daytime must be on welfare, does that logic also apply to you? What about the folks on this forum who are posting here morning, afternoon and night on weekdays?

Old 07-28-2013, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
And I can give you my own observations and experiences which would contradict yours, but neither is still proof. This is the part you are having a hard time understanding. You could come to the town I am currently living in, and you will find that 95% of the black households and mixed households have the father living in the house. You have to take many things into factor other then just skin color, you have to take geographical, social, economical, and many other factors into consideration.
Which town do you live in? If you don't want to provide the town, can you at the very least provide the city. I work as a photographer during my free time and I'd love to take a few random pics of neighborhoods with 95% of black households with a father in the home.

Seriously, I really want to know where this community is, because I've been around and I have yet to find such a place.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I'm the least "PC" person on this forum, sweetie.

Do you really think there is a single person here who doesn't understand that absent fathers among blacks is at an astronomical level? You're just figuring this out, dearie?

If your argument is that these women walking around during the daytime must be on welfare, does that logic also apply to you? What about the folks on this forum who are posting here morning, afternoon and night on weekdays?

I mentioned that most of my observations are on the weekends, when people are out and about with their families. I obviously know the impact of absent fathers, because I grew up in a single parent home. I just think more people need to drill this message into young black girls. To take a look around them and see what their future lives will be like, if they have children with the guys from their community, who are not prepared to be fathers on any level. I'm just being real when I say, the future is looking very bleak.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 AM

12,962 posts, read 13,676,205 times
Quote:
Which town do you live in? If you don't want to provide the town, can you at the very least provide the city. I work as a photographer during my free time and I'd love to take a few random pics of neighborhoods with 95% of black households with a father in the home.

Seriously, I really want to know where this community is, because I've been around and I have yet to find such a place.
Affluent African American Communities | AfricanAmericanDigest.com

Old 07-28-2013, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thriftylefty View Post
Many of jobs that poor men typically work have low pay and bad hours and can be physically demanding. The fathers you typically see a little league games and weekend soccer practices are always young professional guys who work their own hours like Dr.’s and business owners.
I agree 100%, but the only problem is, I often see a number of Hispanic men out and about with their women and children on the weekends. Many Hispanics are blue collar as well.

Old 07-28-2013, 07:42 AM

This is very silly. I'm not referring to "affluent or rich folks." Obviously rich folks have plenty of resources. I'm referring to regular working class/middle class neighborhoods and every day people who work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies