Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2009, 05:53 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times

Advertisements

300 k a year is rich if you do not have to spend any time or effort to get it. If you have to work 50 to 70 hours per week for the salary, no matter how big, you are just another wage slave. You are a well paid, sometimes extravagantly so, wage slave but are still indentured to an employer even if the employer is yourself.

IMHO a retiree living on a pension that supplies all the basic needs is quite rich because he has the time to do what he wants. He might not have a huge house or fancy car but he has time. BTW – I hope to be this free in a couple of more years. In the mean time winning a small lottery that paid 300k a year would be very nice because it would free me from spending time earning enough money to keep healthy enough to spend time earning money.

The most luxurious fancy treadmill is still a treadmill.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:23 AM

400 posts, read 469,362 times
3% to 5% of america is the wealth in the US. The rest of 95% are people that are just normal. Keep in mind that the 3 to 5 % have ther majority of wealth and money. And where do you think the wealth comes from in the US? old, very old family.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:27 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,633,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
They don't need one. They just might like to have one. Freedom to choose what you buy, or don't buy, is a good thing.

Believe it or not, in some parts of the US 500k doesn't get you much.
Look I earn far more than $300k per annum, regardless of euro/dollar exchange rates.

I do not feel the need to drive a luxury car - my only car is 6 years old.
Nor do I feel the need to have vast properties/newest clothes/a n other.

My mortgage, on my one home is cleared.

All societies need to be less materialistic.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indurain View Post
Look I earn far more than $300k per annum, regardless of euro/dollar exchange rates.

I do not feel the need to drive a luxury car - my only car is 6 years old.
Nor do I feel the need to have vast properties/newest clothes/a n other.

My mortgage, on my one home is cleared.

All societies need to be less materialistic.
And you sir, are up in the higher percentile if you live in the USA. Do you have a family that your are supporting?

Old 11-16-2009, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneyear View Post
And you sir, are up in the higher percentile if you live in the USA. Do you have a family that your are supporting?

I don't live in the USA.
I live in Europe and I am European.

I do have a family to support.

I am damn lucky and fortunate and I count my blessings.

I am more than happy to pay tax and to give away a proportion of my after tax salary to charity because those of us who earn should by rights be expected to support those who are less fortunate.
Very happy to do so to.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I don't live in the USA.
I live in Europe and I am European.

I do have a family to support.

I am damn lucky and fortunate and I count my blessings.

I am more than happy to pay tax and to give away a proportion of my after tax salary to charity because those of us who earn should by rights be expected to support those who are less fortunate.
Very happy to do so to.
Well, good for you, you European, you are just like me!

Old 11-16-2009, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Well, good for you, you European, you are just like me!
Good stuff.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Good stuff.
Well, I don't make near the money that you do. Especially those Eros money

Old 11-16-2009, 07:54 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
To earn that kind of money, I would say that a person is quit wealthy. 3 % to 5% own everything in the US. 95% are the low income people. And that is a fact folks. This is how it works in the states.
This is correct. We are turning into a banana republic, even importing people who are accustomed to that situation.

The middle class in America made us what we were. The middle class was created by the wealth spread around through salary arbitration by labor unions. That is when child labor ended and education was mandatory and people earned a living wage and had some slack time during which they spent. Now, we are going backwards.

Old 11-16-2009, 08:06 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,976,948 times
Quote:
why would one need to drive a luxury car?
why would one need to live in a 500k - 700k house?
At least the house and car last for a time.
Why, in God's earth, would anyone want to get their nails done? Are these women trying to appear as though they have household help and don't clean up after themselves?

What a huge waste of money - and all of those shops that have sprung up - must be hugely profitable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies