Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2010, 01:47 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times

Advertisements

no, but the ability to not spend it will quickly make you rich.

Old 07-21-2010, 03:57 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stargazzer View Post
You do not know what your talking about my friend.......

I know two people "very well" who have medi education and make 1.5mil plus annually......
They have different occupations and spend more time in restraunts , fun trips, golfing ect ect ect ect...than you know.
Come to think of it I know quite a few mega dollar earners who basically "think" they work hard but "do not" have one clue as to what that word means..... Heres an easy one just thinking.......
Guy opens Donut shop.....Donut shop in 2yrs earns 1mil after all the
expences......
Guy pays employee's ...B-ll Sh-t Wages.... and does not work hard.
Give yourself a reality check pal....the economy is a farce because every Tom Dick and Harry wants to be who.....?
Thats right ...Bill Gates and laughs on the backs of all the workers
with this min wage baloney........
Hey ...all you greedy slobs......If you can't pay people properly...
DO IT YOURSELF
WAKE UP PEOPLE
"Work", what does that word mean?

Many presume that word to mean some sort of physical labor - which of course is not necessarily the case. "Work" can mean doing something smarter rather than "harder"

If one can make a good living by opening that Donut Shop, then as long as they make good creme filled donuts, more power to 'em.

Old 07-21-2010, 04:43 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
In Germany one is officially considered rich when their income (in the case of a single person) is above ~$4,800 per month, i.e. ~$58k per year.
So yes of course 300k a year makes a family rich.

Old 07-21-2010, 05:29 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F355 View Post
My point exactly. Often times people with these incomes live in homes that cost anywhere from $500k to $700k, lease luxury cars, dress well, and generally live an opulent lifestyle.

Even when saving, I agree that after all of your expenses, you're still not rich. Although this income affords you more expensive things than someone making $30k a year, you still are working and paying for items.
agreed. This is a nice article about this group of people:

Are you a high earner but not rich yet? Higher taxes ahead - Oct. 26, 2008

Quote:
This is the world of the HENRYs, an acronym we'll use to describe people whose financial situation can be summed up by the phrase "high earners, not rich yet." (I coined the term for a Fortune story in 2003 on the alternative minimum tax, or AMT, the bane of the HENRYs.) Put simply, the HENRYs are the bulwark of the professional and entrepreneurial class that drives the economy. Look in the mirror, Fortune reader, and you'll probably see a HENRY.

They are relentless strivers. Aspiring HENRYs played by the rules and did everything right: They won the best grades in high school, got accepted at good colleges and grad schools, and worked daunting schedules as medical interns or associates in law firms. They're an upwardly mobile group: Most HENRYs used their talent and grit to advance from the middle class, and those who got a hand from affluent parents are determined to do even better for their kids.

"These high earners may come from privileged, upper-middle-class backgrounds or be the children of immigrants," says Phillip Cook, a financial advisor in Torrance, Calif. "What they have in common is that they worked incredibly hard to build their careers and work incredibly hard to move ahead." Now this group of superachievers is being targeted as a cash machine. Barack Obama, the Democratic presidential nominee, has pledged to pay for middle-class tax cuts and credits by raising taxes on the HENRYs. "It's time for folks who make over $250,000 a year to pay their fair share," Obama has declared regularly on the campaign trail.

Obama and the congressional Democrats frequently refer to households earning over $250,000 as the "rich" and the "wealthiest Americans." But whether the HENRYs are truly "rich," or ever will be, is debatable. In Fortune's interviews with two dozen HENRYs from Charlotte to Concord, Calif., what emerged was a portrait of families a world away from the private jets, luxury vacation homes, and heated garages with Bentleys and Porsches lined up headlight to headlight that typically represent America's vision of "rich."
The American dream - on hold - (1) - FORTUNE

Old 07-21-2010, 05:50 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,129 times
This question is posed the wrong way!

Making 300k is not rich if your working 16 hrs a day 52 weeks a year and thousands of miles away from your family!

I have known people who work decent jobs but work their asses off to make 200k

Are they rich?

Rich for me is described as an ability to live a certain lifstyle with out working...

that is if you were to stop working today, how long would you be able to sustain yourself at your lifestyle..

So if there is someone out there that has enough wealth (assets, cash, ect) and that gives them 300k a year to live off of... they are much more rich then the person who works 7 days a week to make 500k a year IMHO

think!!!!!! robert kiyosaki and the cash flow quadrant!!!!!

Old 07-21-2010, 06:37 AM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
This question is posed the wrong way!

Making 300k is not rich if your working 16 hrs a day 52 weeks a year and thousands of miles away from your family!

I have known people who work decent jobs but work their asses off to make 200k

Are they rich?

Rich for me is described as an ability to live a certain lifstyle with out working...

that is if you were to stop working today, how long would you be able to sustain yourself at your lifestyle..

So if there is someone out there that has enough wealth (assets, cash, ect) and that gives them 300k a year to live off of... they are much more rich then the person who works 7 days a week to make 500k a year IMHO

think!!!!!! robert kiyosaki and the cash flow quadrant!!!!!
I suppose by that definition, Bode Miller, before he became an Olympic superstar, was rich. Family income was only about $1000 a year, but their house was paid off, they raised their own food, they had their needs covered with income well below the official poverty level.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:01 AM

7,841 posts, read 19,004,056 times
The link between education and wealth is a shaky one at best. A Pete Rose story comes to mind. Back in his day as a ball player, Pete Rose was one of the highest paid players of that time. That didn't stop the reporters from getting on his case about his lack of a college degree. They would ask questions like, Hey Pete where did you go to college? And Pete would respond, I didn't go to college, but I'm thinking about buying one!

Old 07-21-2010, 08:17 AM

4,049 posts, read 2,743,026 times
If one makes 300K a year and that amount is not enough then they are managing their money poorly.
300k a year makes you rich and easily can afford you home,car,school,and even vacations. That makes you rich IMO.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:27 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,191,559 times
If $300, 000 is not rich, then what is an annual income of $30,000?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:28 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,337,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sindey View Post
If one makes 300K a year and that amount is not enough then they are managing their money poorly.
300k a year makes you rich and easily can afford you home,car,school,and even vacations. That makes you rich IMO.
it may make you well-off, but it doesn't make you rich. Someone making $300 K/year still has to go to work every day to put food on the table, keep the mortgage and car paid etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies