Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2014, 03:35 PM

1,347 posts, read 955,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
I'm curious to know what black people YOU personally know that don't understand what's being talked about... We in the black community know what the problems are and we're slowly but surely climbing out despite opposition by white conservative know it alls...
Are you? If Don Sterling was black, and said those things about white people, would there have been such an uproar?

I've said this to many people, many times - if I was black, I'd be the most miserable human on earth. Why? Not because of how others would treat me, but how "we" as blacks treat ourselves.

Do blacks value education and hard work the way asians, indians (from India), or other groups do?

How many poor asian communities have you seen with high crime/murder rates that you are afraid to walk through? I have never seen ANY, anywhere.

Blacks, instead of bettering themselves, should stop blaming other people why no one will hire them as they go to job interviews with their pants on the floor speaking ebonics, or demanding affirmative action by adjusting and reducing test scores for blacks for civil service jobs. Where is their pride as people?

Some blacks do work hard, and become professional athletes or entertainers, but that is a tiny fraction of the black populace. They just want it both ways; to act in defiance of a society while demanding that that society accept and embrace their counter-cultural behavior - and on their terms, which is just never going to happen.

The Japanese have a saying: "the hammer will find the tallest nail", which black americans just don't get. Even blacks from other countries find american black culture disgusting, and they will tell you if asked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2014, 03:41 PM

1,347 posts, read 955,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
You obviously have not been following the posts. The white out of wedlock birth rate has increased over 300% since the 60's. If this was really the culprit of crime and violence, then where is the corresponding increase in rates of crime and violence in the white community relative to the 60's?

You see, what many white folks are tying to do is to find a SUBSTITUTE for the accrued impact of centuries of white racism, to be used to EXPLAIN the difference between the rate of socioeconomic dysfunction between the black population and the white population. The strategy to accomplish this is predicated upon making racism....MYTHOLOGY...or an odorless, harmless, invisible gas that never produced ill effects. Hence, once they carpet bomb the narrative with those untruths, then they drop propaganda pamphlets proclaiming the inferiority of black people leads them to perform and behave inferior, and nothing else.
And you think white racism against blacks is the issue blacks embrace the worst cultural aspects like wearing their pants on the floor, ebonics/slang, violent gang life as desirable, etc.? That they are not employable because of a bad work ethic is the white man's fault?

Old 06-01-2014, 03:42 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Wrong, he hit right on the head.

And the black community hates the criticism so they cry racism.
Actually, I would agree more with SHABAZZ310. It is not that Don Lemon had his own criticisms. It is the fact that he teamed up with Bill O'Reilly. O'Reilly said what he said, not because he cared, but out of a kind of anger. All I heard from O'Reilly was anger and arrogance. There is a difference between constructive criticism and being a jerk. Big difference. O'Reilly doesn't care at all.

Bill Cosby, on the other hand, actually cares. He actually wants to see people do better, and he puts his money where his mouth is. It was he who donated to HBCU's. He actually went to the people, and started talking to them. In one speech I listened to, he spoke of a woman who, I believe graduated from college or high school, most likely college. He mentioned that she had sorrow for not having her father around, but she wasn't crying because she was emotionally numb(no more tears). He was in a room full of Black people. None of then disagreed with him. I would prefer that Don Lemon team with Bill Cosby.

Furthermore, Michael Nutter, mayor of Philadelphia, a Black man. When some Black teenagers were attacking people in downtown Philadelphia, he went and spoke out against it. He targeted those who actually were causing problems and said "you've embarrassed your race". He was speaking in church full of Black people. None of them were disagreeing with him or criticizing him. They were most likely in agreement with him about the things he said.

It isn't so much the message. This is about Don Lemon teaming up with Bill O'Reilly. It is also important to note that 1.1% of FOX News viewers are Black, so think about that. More than 1.1% of the Black population has conservative views. There are conservative Blacks, and yet, not that many watch FOX News. Ever ask yourself why that is?

Old 06-01-2014, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
Are you? If Don Sterling was black, and said those things about white people, would there have been such an uproar?

I've said this to many people, many times - if I was black, I'd be the most miserable human on earth. Why? Not because of how others would treat me, but how "we" as blacks treat ourselves.

Do blacks value education and hard work the way asians, indians (from India), or other groups do?

How many poor asian communities have you seen with high crime/murder rates that you are afraid to walk through? I have never seen ANY, anywhere.

Blacks, instead of bettering themselves, should stop blaming other people why no one will hire them as they go to job interviews with their pants on the floor speaking ebonics, or demanding affirmative action by adjusting and reducing test scores for blacks for civil service jobs. Where is their pride as people?

Some blacks do work hard, and become professional athletes or entertainers, but that is a tiny fraction of the black populace. They just want it both ways; to act in defiance of a society while demanding that that society accept and embrace their counter-cultural behavior - and on their terms, which is just never going to happen.

The Japanese have a saying: "the hammer will find the tallest nail", which black americans just don't get. Even blacks from other countries find american black culture disgusting, and they will tell you if asked.
Do Blacks value education? A better question is "does the Black underclass value education"?

The statistics that I see, well, I have to consider this. There are far more Blacks in the middle class than ever in America's history. Far more Blacks getting college degrees than ever before. This idea of "a tiny fraction", can you show me a statistic analysis that only a fraction of Blacks are hard workers?

And answer this. Do you really believe college-educated Black people will show up to an interview with their pants hanging down to the floor? Do you believe they will take that into a corporate environment? Do you really believe they will speak that way at an interview? Can you even prove that is the case?

The bad behavior you describe is an underclass trait, or stuff Blacks don't take into corporate America. I should know. I've seen Black people speak ebonics among one another, but switch to speaking proper English when amongst mostly White people or in a corporate environment.

Some better things to ask are this. Why is it that the best educated, middle class-middle upper class Blacks often do not live in predominantly Black areas?

Why is it that alot of predominantly Black areas are often poor?

I look at it as a matter of who left, and who stayed behind.

And something else. You are not Black. This "if I were Black", you do not know what it is to be a Black American.

Old 06-01-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
And you think white racism against blacks is the issue blacks embrace the worst cultural aspects like wearing their pants on the floor, ebonics/slang, violent gang life as desirable, etc.? That they are not employable because of a bad work ethic is the white man's fault?
Which segment of the Black population? Middle class Blacks who are trying to get away from crime and violence? Or the underclass who are often in those situations?

Old 06-01-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
No, you guys agree with a gay CNN correspondent??? Unbelievable. Lol
It all boils down to the concept of Black Shame. The likes of Pastor James Manning being one example. Truth is, I don't believe for a moment that Bill O'Reilly said what he said because he cares about Black people. Whether or not it is the truth is a moot point. It is the reason for saying it. If one says things to be a jerk, to please one's constituency, or to be a reactionary, then all that is accomplished from it is stirring up more anger. I think O"Reilly said what he said from anger and arrogance.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:05 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
My issue has always been the right-wing IGNORANCE of the black community.

This just in... most black people never go to jail, never commit a crime, don't wear their pants off their ass, and don't ever dream of assaulting white people. The problem is the ignorant white conservatives that see a small segment of the black populace (perpetuated by the media) and allow their own fears to dictate how they view blacks.

The black community has problems. Black liberals and black conservatives alike are well aware of the problems and do pin most of the blame on blacks. HOWEVER, where black liberals and conservatives differ is how much acknowledgement of structural discrimination exists. (Black) conservatives tend to sweep it under the rug. Structural discrimination exists. It isn't responsible for all the problems in the black community but its impact throughout history has been significant.

White people can help the situation by choosing to stop being so ignorant of the problems.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Not that I agree with the conservatives but wanted to point out that this is how public opinion works in general.
For instance, most of Italians were not members of mafia but this was the popular perception outside of Italian community.
Unfortunately the trouble making part of the black community is the most visible, both physically and statistically, just like that little segment of Italian community was years ago.
Agreed. However, less than 2% of black people ever go to jail. The right wingers think only 2% are not in jail. Get my drift?

Old 06-01-2014, 05:34 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,555,502 times
Quote:

You should change your 'corrector of lies' tag to 'promoter of lies'. Also, Don Sterling needs to pay someone to hold up his face. It just looks really horrible. Why are you defending him? Clearly, your ignorance is beyond foolish, so there is no need to dismantle your post point by point. You have destroyed your credibility with regard to rational though and critical thinking on your own. Also, you may want to talk to just one out of many of those Indian girls and women who have had acid thrown on them for pursuing an education. These girls and women are unrecognizable now, and are banished from their communities. I haven't even got to honor killings yet. Any how, keep pointing the finger at "THE BLACKS." Lol. I would tell you to stop thinking commenting on us, but clearly, we are in the deepest parts of your brain. You couldn't stop think about Black people if you tried. Get in line, many others can't stop either. Lol.

Old 06-01-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
The right wingers don't think, lol, they use whatever stat they can to stop any progress.
You have to be careful though, stats are not really favorable for the Black population:

One in six black men had been incarcerated as of 2001. If current trends continue, one in three black males born today can expect to spend time in prison during his lifetime

That's a horrible statistic. Even though whites in the us are not doing that great, neither.

Criminal Justice Fact Sheet | NAACP
I have to find the most recent statistics. The number was significantly lower when black women are included.

The worst is the drug rates. Black people use drugs less than whites, yet make up a significant amount of drug arrests.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies