Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2014, 08:08 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
But he realized that only by openly talking about problems can lead to solving them. Pretending they don't exist doesn't help.
When I said "publicly", what I meant was this. I remember when mayor Michael Nutter(of Philadelphia) gave his speech. No one seemed to have any kind of outrage. Bill Cosby, however, many were outraged. With Nutter, he said what he said in front of a church crowd. Cosby said it over the airwaves, during the BET Awards no less. I think some people were more upset about that. The "don't air our dirty laundry in public" thing was mainly about that.

I was talking to a Black female friend one day, and we were both speaking about some issue taking place in the Black community. Her Hispanic friend happened to be there, and she was talking to her as well. She basically said "shush" while her Hispanic friend was there. As soon as she left, she basically said "I agree with what you are saying, but keep it between us".

Quote:
Self fulfilling prophecy. The culture was already there but gangsta rap not only legitimized it but created this phantasy were being tough on the street would land you money, respect and women. Remember, rappers only emulated gangsters so they were not really (for the most part) being shot and going to prison. For most kids rapping about gangster life was the same as living one, they didn't see this as a Hollywood fantasy but rather reality with guns, partying and stashes of cash that seem to last for ever. Gangsta rap took ghetto culture out of ghettos straight to Main Street by avoiding mentioning that an average life expectancy of a gangster was about 25 years...
Not only self-fulfilling, but a cycle. Most people I know who listen to this music have never been shot, or have never been to prison. I would not say it took it out of the ghetto, but spread it. And another irony is this. If you look at the roots of "ghetto" culture, it has some parallels to "redneck" culture.

Quote:
I didn't know that and thought it was part of standard procedure were shoelaces and belts are being removed to prevent suicide attempts (hangings) among arrestees. Anyways, high school kids trying to look like prisoners? Again, a self-fulfilling prophecy via glorification of prison culture.
I knew removal of belts was standard procedure. However, the sagging of pants was more about sex. I find the high school kids sagging their pants to be quite ironic, especially considering the average teenage male who does this likes women and not men.

Quote:
That's why we need Black version of Big Bang Theory, or paraphrasing the title of Africa Baambaata's album: Dark Matter Theory.
Thing is, we had the Cosby Show, which featured a Black doctor and a Black lawyer, and college-bound children. The very last episode features Theo graduating from college. I would like to see a Black version of Big Bang Theory.

Quote:
Yup. It's universal and happens in every ethnic group.
I've seen it up close.

Quote:
That's unfortunately the fallacy of all pop culture, however it's important to get that message across so those with potential would give up under peer pressure.
A large amount of pop culture seems to reflect alot of stupidity. These days more so. In the 90s, it did, but it seemed to get worse in the 2000s.

Quote:
I am pretty sure it's a difficult position to hold but I think it'd be easier in a city with considerable Black middle class like Atlanta, wouldn't it?
Yes and no. There have been Black professionals moving here. At the same time, Atlanta is also the new hip-hop capital. And it also depends on where you live. I spent middle school and high school out in the exurbs of Atlanta(roughly 45 minutes from both Atlanta and the Georgia-Alabama border).

Quote:
I am watching some pretty clever "Black" cartoons on Comedy Central Adult Swim, I think there is more Black nerds than you think. I think Black community is changing and these changes will be reflected in mass media.
Years ago The public saw Blacks as an uniform group, unfortunately often through the prism of crime stats and slavery, now many are discovering that there are many different aspects of being Black, which is a great lesson for Whites and Blacks as well.
I don't have cable anymore. I only remember Adult Swim on Cartoon Network.

I think what it will take is for people to look beyond the statistics, and look at the individuals. And that is why I worry when people point only to the statistics. Everyone knows what the statistics are, but no one asks "how does it represent the Black people who have nothing to do with those stats"? In that process, many decent Black people sometimes get ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2014, 08:18 AM

28,681 posts, read 18,811,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenniel View Post
I gotta disagree.
I Don't think the black community knows what the problems are. At least, not in the hood where a lot of the problems exist. And even if they do know, there doesn't seem to be much being done about it.

I've said for a long time that until the 'culture' changes, the same problems will continue to exist.
Black people need to perform some clear-headed, open-eyed triage.

One step is to identify the areas that are "Blackistans" (Google it). Just as is true for Afghanistan, there is no hope for transforming a Blackistan, and no hope for anyone who remains in one.

It is not a solution for blacks who have "made it" to return to a Blackistan. A Blackistan is a lost land. It's like a place filled with zombies and it needs to be left isolated until the zombies to finally die off.

We need to give young black women and men who still have their heads screwed on somewhat straight--but are trapped in Blackistans-- a way to emigrate out of the Blackistans.

We also need to identify the "Hoods" and rennovate them. A "Hood" is merely a cultural enclave. There are plenty of "Hoods" in the country--Italian, Puerto Rican, Polish, Chinese, Irish, Vietnamese, Jewish. Nothing wrong with a cultural enclave, and there are a lot of good things about them. They can be saved and invigorated--to some extent, gentrified. We can do that.

Those are places people who have "made it" can return to, or at least invest in. That's one of the things that wealthier black people have failed to do that other groups have done with success: Invest in the viable "Hoods," Invest in small businesses, purchase rental houses and apartments.

The "Hoods" are vital, they are the places of transition and the places of revitalization.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:22 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,409,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I notice you said "decent black people".

I said that in a post......not long ago.....maybe yesterday.

That seemed to be a problem to another poster......you can look and fine it.

I did not defend my post.....I just replied I was wrong......there is no decent black people.
Oh really... like the black folks that:

-Invented the dozens of household products you use today
-Fought for this country despite living in the Jim Crow South
-Thousands of black veterans
-Black contributions to literature and music
-Black contributions to athletics, especially on the national scale.

Here's a tip, why don't you go out in the real world and try speaking to a black person. Trust me, we aren't bad and scary

Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Black people need to perform some clear-headed, open-eyed triage.

One step is to identify the areas that are "Blackistans" (Google it). Just as is true for Afghanistan, there is no hope for transforming a Blackistan, and no hope for anyone who remains in one.

It is not a solution for blacks who have "made it" to return to a Blackistan. A Blackistan is a lost land. It's like a place filled with zombies and it needs to be left isolated until the zombies to finally die off.

We need to give young black women and men who still have their heads screwed on somewhat straight--but are trapped in Blackistans-- a way to emigrate out of the Blackistans.

We also need to identify the "Hoods" and rennovate them. A "Hood" is merely a cultural enclave. There are plenty of "Hoods" in the country--Italian, Puerto Rican, Polish, Chinese, Irish, Vietnamese, Jewish. Nothing wrong with a cultural enclave, and there are a lot of good things about them. They can be saved and invigorated--to some extent, gentrified. We can do that.

Those are places people who have "made it" can return to, or at least invest in. That's one of the things that wealthier black people have failed to do that other groups have done with success: Invest in the viable "Hoods," Invest in small businesses, purchase rental houses and apartments.

The "Hoods" are vital, they are the places of transition and the places of revitalization.
This is simply false. It shows your ignorance. Stop watching Donald Sterling.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:26 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Oh really... like the black folks that:

-Invented the dozens of household products you use today
-Fought for this country despite living in the Jim Crow South
-Thousands of black veterans
-Black contributions to literature and music
-Black contributions to athletics, especially on the national scale.

Here's a tip, why don't you go out in the real world and try speaking to a black person. Trust me, we aren't bad and scary
My post said there was descent black people....that term seemed to be wrong.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My post said there was descent black people....that term seemed to be wrong.
Most black people are decent. As I continue to repeat, less than 2% of the black population is in prison.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Not only self-fulfilling, but a cycle. Most people I know who listen to this music have never been shot, or have never been to prison. I would not say it took it out of the ghetto, but spread it. And another irony is this. If you look at the roots of "ghetto" culture, it has some parallels to "redneck" culture. .
One quick point about this. It's not "parallel." They have the same danged roots. "Southern" culture is an "honor-based" culture, although it's a superficial honor.

"Suh, you have impuned mah dignity, and Ah demand satisfaction!"

The southern elite gave up the gun duels long ago, but southern redneck culture--and black culture that emigrated from the south--is still immersed in it.

Like "soul food" is just southern food eaten by blacks in the north, Aaron McGruder's "n*gga moment" is only assciated with blacks in the north, but it's part of the basic culture of the south--they have their "redneck moments" that are the same thing.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:34 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,359,408 times
Quote:
Most black people are decent. As I continue to repeat, less than 2% of the black population is in prison.
Here is the post.....

Racism Out Of Control: Middle School Teacher Suspended For Showing Video About White Actors Wearing Blackfaces

You can post "decent black person".......I can not???

Old 06-02-2014, 08:34 AM

Quote:
This is simply false. It shows your ignorance. Stop watching Donald Sterling.
No, it's realistic. I don't know if Donald Sterling has any idea of it--I suspect he does not.

If you actually Google "Blackistan" you will find that it's a FUBU concept.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:44 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 27 days ago)

29,573 posts, read 16,560,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
No, it's realistic. I don't know if Donald Sterling has any idea of it--I suspect he does not.

If you actually Google "Blackistan" you will find that it's a FUBU concept.
If you google Blackistan, you see that no one actually uses that term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies