Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,073,601 times

Advertisements

They already get free housing, free food, free phones, free utilities, free education, free utilities, etc.

Now they complain about the cost of diapers.

What exactly are they responsible for providing themselves?

At the very least, can they keep their neighborhoods clean?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2013, 07:36 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,970,995 times
While the conservative narrative is the poor are worthless moochers, the reality is that 66% of SNAP households included a child, an elderly person, or a disabled person and SNAP participation historically follows unemployment with a slight lag.

I think your claim that the poor get free housing, free phones and free utilities are dubious. Everyone gets tax-payer paid education, as they should.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:47 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,172,731 times
Well alpha, if being poor is so great like you appear to claim, why don't you do it yourself?

Old 07-30-2013, 07:53 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,739,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They already get free housing, free food, free phones, free utilities, free education, free utilities, etc.

Some do take advantage of America's very generous system.

However many are truly unable to make a viable living for their family.

Right Wing Evangelical conservatives are very hypocritical when it comes to the poor.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:06 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,229,951 times
Quote:

Who specifically are "they?" It is easy to attack the generalized idea of the poor, much harder to attack the specifics.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:15 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,966,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Some do take advantage of America's very generous system.

However many are truly unable to make a viable living for their family.

Right Wing Evangelical conservatives are very hypocritical when it comes to the poor.
You're joking, right? America has a very generous welfare system? Says who? Of all the developed countries in the world, the US has the most barebones welfare system of them all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Well alpha, if being poor is so great like you appear to claim, why don't you do it yourself?
I always wondered that myself since he and his ilk have convinced themselves that the poor live a leisurely luxurious lifestyle on benefits. I'd love to see that myself

Old 07-30-2013, 08:18 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
You're joking, right? America has a very generous welfare system? Says who? Of all the developed countries in the world, the US has the most barebones welfare system of them all.

I always wondered that myself since he and his ilk have convinced themselves that the poor live a leisurely luxurious lifestyle on benefits. I'd love to see that myself
We spent $1 trillion in means tested welfare programs for nearly 30% of Americans.
Is that not enough ? Should we double it to $2 trillion ?

Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 AM

3,537 posts, read 2,739,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Actually you are correct. Americans are near the most generous in giving to charity through private means though.

U.S. Ranks No. 1 In Generosity, Now Let's Give More

Sorry to burst your bubble but Americans are very generous overall.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:21 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,953,424 times
Quote:

In your state the "poor" recieve free housing? utilities? I guess the poor are so lucky they get free Utilites twice.

Old 07-30-2013, 08:23 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,966,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBen View Post
Actually you are correct. Americans are near the most generous in giving to charity through private means though.

U.S. Ranks No. 1 In Generosity, Now Let's Give More

Sorry to burst your bubble but Americans are very generous overall.
Private giving does not equate to the welfare system you were describing. A generous system means government welfare programs, not private charity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies