Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 08:59 AM

89,157 posts, read 44,939,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Believe what you will.

30% of Americans are on welfare programs costing $1 trillion dollars.
And those numbers are increasing by double digits each year (20% which should scare the hell out of you).

Now go figure out how we're going to continue funding this.
Meanwhile, the income of the Left's cash cows, the top 1%, has fallen back to mid 1980s levels, meaning the tax revenue confiscated from them is correspondingly lower.
Quote:
[T]he top 20 percent of households now pay more than 94 percent of federal income taxes, a record high. The data also shows that effective tax rates have been going down for almost everyone, except the top 1 percent of households. Meanwhile... the share of income earned by the top 1 percent has collapsed back to where it was in the late-1980s and mid-1990s.
CBO Report Shows Higher-Income Earnings Collapsing

SO... taxes have been lowered on everyone but the top 1%, and the top 1%'s share of the income has lost all of the last 30-years' gain.

Given these facts, and to repeat HappyTexan's question, how are we going to fund benefits for a welfare-dependent class that increases at a rate of 20% each year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,781,379 times
Quote:
They are not claiming that at all.

I myself have posted that we have the richest poor in the world.

Do you think the poor in Haiti think a cellphone is a necessity ?
Do the poor in Haiti get to travel to Disneyworld and spend their food stamp money there ?
Do you think the poor in Haiti get cash benefits each month to spend as they wish ?

Compared to poverty in other countries the US is doing pretty good with providing the poor not on the necessities but some luxuries as well.

And I'm not even proposing to end any programs.
My question is how to cover the increased spending each year.
The administration is worried about SS and medicare yet means tested programs cost more and are growing by 20% each year.

The Fed budget for 2011 was $3.8 trillion. Over $1 trillion of that was spent for means tested welfare programs.

I love how one of the mentally deficient posters earlier in the thread pointed out that they aren't iphones with unlimited data, so we're abusing our poor with free dumb cell phones and limited minutes.

I guess they are completely incapable of grasping why I'm not too excited about government stealing more of my income to the poor so they can get a free phone that is nicer than mine that I work hard to pay out of my income the government lets me keep.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:00 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,172,731 times
Quote:
Believe what you will.

And those numbers are increasing by double digits each year (20% which should scare the hell out of you).

I already gave a couple of examples some posts back, relating to birth control & easing off thru time the payments. That's about all I have now.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I already gave a couple of examples some posts back, relating to birth control & easing off thru time the payments. That's about all I have now.
Birth control ? Births among the poor are exploding. You can't force them either.
With birth among the poor 3x the rate of non poor you have exponential growth.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:06 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,172,731 times
Quote:
Birth control ? Births among the poor are exploding. You can't force them either.
With birth among the poor 3x the rate of non poor you have exponential growth.
So requiring them to get say the depo shot if they continue to receive their payments is not an option? I personally think it's a great idea. I would think you conservatives would be totally on board with that.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,064,561 times
Here's another success story - my own nieces from that same neighborhood.

Without exception, these three women were born to unwed, African American mothers. Two of them (same mom) have two different dads who were never in the scene. The other one's mother never knew who her baby's daddy was, and was a crack cocaine addict. All three little girls were raised in public housing projects. Their mothers worked at odd jobs (they didn't graduate from high school) till eventually they both were able to receive disability (I have no idea what their disability was to begin with but one did eventually have a stroke at age 42 - could have something to do with her HORRIFIC lifestyle). These little girls were raised on WIC, food stamps, Head Start, etc.

Their mothers lives are the epitome of "ghetto queen" lives - never married, sorry ass men in and out of their lives, shacking up with them in public housing, filthy homes, rotten teeth, substance abuse - you name it. However, they did always have money for manicures and hair appointments, partying every single weekend, crack and weed and cigarettes and beer, and plenty of junk food in the house. They also had cable TV and cell phones. They lived in housing that was free.

However - there are some good role models for success in that sad family. For instance, their uncle (my exhusband) is a Colonel in the Army. They have several aunts who are teachers, bankers, and one is a high school principal. Thank God.

These three little girls chose to pattern their lives after the people in their family who chose NOT to embrace a life of dysfunctional poverty. I don't even know how they did it - the odds were so stacked against them. But they became honor students in school. One of them earned a full academic scholarship to college. The other two earned partial scholarships. They went to college. They did NOT shack up or have illegitimate kids. They got married after college and waited till then to begin starting families. One of them married someone in the military. One joined the military. And one went into banking. Not a one of them ever used drugs.

They escaped - but they had to make a long series of choices that differed greatly from the choices their mothers made. And this had to start IN CHILDHOOD. If kids growing up in poverty don't have positive role models, I don't know how they can develop the wisdom or the fortitude to make choices that will lead them OUT of poverty.

It's poor life choices that land most people in poverty, and poor life choices that keep them there.

I am so proud of my nieces. They are strong, intelligent young African American women, who now have beautiful children who will probably never spend a day of their lives living below the poverty line.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-31-2013 at 10:34 AM.. Reason: response to deletion

Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,841,952 times
Exactly What are the "poor" responsible for?

Their own poverty of course.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
So requiring them to get say the depo shot if they continue to receive their payments is not an option? I personally think it's a great idea. I would think you conservatives would be totally on board with that.
We can't even get a laws passed to require drug testing to get welfare benefits.
It's discriminatory.

Only 2 programs require work efforts..we've dropped work requirements from all the other programs due to the recession that was over 4 years ago.
And the 2 that are left were made "flexible" because actual jobs are hard to come by for the poor.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:21 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,497,791 times
Quote:
Believe what you will.

i've already offered a solution cap spending increases at pop growth plus inflation, more moochers = each moocher gets cut. when they ask why they will have only each other to blame.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:02 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,251,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I think you miss the point.

"Welfare" is public assistance for those in NEED.

If you have big screen TV's, eat luxury foods and have rims on your car that are worth more than the car, you don't need our assistance.

That's the point.
Your point again is moot.

I know of at least two couples with children whose grandparents of their children purchased video games and large screen televisions for them.

You're saying poor people who receive public assistance should own and have nothing in their apartments or homes.

I also know that at Christmas time, the grandparents also gave the families nice things to eat too.

The steak and lobster theory or belief some of the people using this forum have doesn't hold water. You got nothing.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 07-31-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies