Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2013, 08:16 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I'm not on welfare, thanks.

If they live in such a lap of luxury, why don't you give it a try as well? You make it sound simply wonderful. Why not live on welfare yourself?
OMG I can't believe this ridiculous question is being asked AGAIN - by a poster who will not answer direct questions.

Since you're into repeating yourself, I'll meet you on your turf:

Earlier I stated that I HAD "tried being poor and on public assistance" myself and I wasn't cut out for it. In fact, I determined quickly that I HATED that lifestyle and was not about to raise my kids in it, and by changing my own behavior and making better choices, I got out of that pit of poverty. When I said that, you said, "Yeah, right" or "I bet you did" or some sort of similar veiled insult full of implied nastiness, and I asked you for clarification - three times. You never answered the question.

Answer it. What was it about my statement that you doubt?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2013, 08:19 AM

50,294 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
They already get free housing, free food, free phones, free utilities, free education, free utilities, etc.

Now they complain about the cost of diapers.

What exactly are they responsible for providing themselves?

At the very least, can they keep their neighborhoods clean?
They do a good job of keeping the alley by work smelling like an outhouse.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:27 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
We are a service based economy now. Service jobs typically don't pay much.
We also have many immigrants that don't have the education, skill, language to move up.

The white collar world has been laying off. They still make their profits but more because they are cutting expenses, not because of increased revenue.

IBM just layed off 3000 US workers last month after reporting a bad quarter. Did any major MSM report that ?

Life in America is becoming too expensive for nearly 30% of those living in America.
We have 83+ means tested programs to help them that cost us $1 trillion in 2011.
That cost is growing at 20% annually.

Would it be cheaper to pay the poor to live somewhere else?

Old 07-31-2013, 08:30 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's nothing new. The more educated you are, the more money you make, the better decisions you make in life.

Smoking, drinking, gambling have historically been greater at lower income levels.
Oh, I know. The left's logic is... Oh, but their income is so low that they can't *afford* to pay federal income tax ...accompanied by much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

BUT they can afford cigarettes, drinking, and gambling on that very same income? I'm not buying it. They should pay a 6% federal income tax rate like the middle class.

6% of a $15K income is only $900 per year, $75 per month, 15 packs of cigarettes per month (at an average cost of $5 per pack).

Old 07-31-2013, 08:32 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I'm still waiting on repsonses by questions psoed by MTATech et. al., if welfare is such a life of luxury as the teabaggers claim it is, why aren't you on it? Are you that stubborn that you'd rather be a slave than living the so-called easy life? Kathryn is the only conservative one on here that seems to know deep down inside that living on welfare is not a luxurious lifestyle by any means at all. If you guys think living a luxurious lifestyle is living on $200 a month on food stamps, living in a ghetto ravaged by drugs and guns, then you guys have a really messed up idea of what luxury is and need a serious reality check. You have to be ****ed up in the head, literally, to WANT to live in a bullet riddled neighborhood

Let's get this straight. YOU are the only one connecting Welfare and "the life of luxury" at all. Welfare should never resemble the life of luxury, and I doubt it will.

But, considering the cost/benefit ratio from the welfare recipient's perspective, welfare pays pretty darn well. I have to start my day at 6:00am to earn my income.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:33 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
I'd like one of the conservatives to answer that too.
Well you won't get an answer, that was my very first question on this thread, still not answered.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:33 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I found these interesting photos of public housing (aka "the projects"):

Oregon:

California:

Kentucky:

Nice digs. Too bad they'll look like this in about five years:

Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,168,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Like when people were starving during the Great Depression and FDR had crops plowed under? Or when FDR set the price of food and anyone selling it for less was prosecuted? So instead of lowering prices and selling the food, it went to waste.
Thanks big government. Not only are they responsible for the horrible economic times, they are also responsible for starving people. Hurray we're saved.
Uh, you should really watch the documentary "Dust Bowl". Really, you really should.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Oh, I know. The left's logic is... Oh, but their income is so low that they can't *afford* to pay federal income tax ...accompanied by much wailing and gnashing of teeth.

BUT they can afford cigarettes, drinking, and gambling on that very same income? I'm not buying it. They should pay a 6% federal income tax rate like the middle class.

6% of a $15K income is only $900 per year, $75 per month, 15 packs of cigarettes per month (at an average cost of $5 per pack).
These are the same people that can't buy a package of diapers for their babies any given week.
And they rely on tax credits.

Wonder what will happen to those credits next year if they don't have health insurance....

Those of us that get refunds based on income can change our W-4 forms but those that rely on tax credits can't so the IRS will always get their penalty money from these people.

I wonder if anyone thought of that.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:36 AM

1,922 posts, read 2,778,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OMG I can't believe this ridiculous question is being asked AGAIN - by a poster who will not answer direct questions.

Since you're into repeating yourself, I'll meet you on your turf:

Earlier I stated that I HAD "tried being poor and on public assistance" myself and I wasn't cut out for it. In fact, I determined quickly that I HATED that lifestyle and was not about to raise my kids in it, and by changing my own behavior and making better choices, I got out of that pit of poverty. When I said that, you said, "Yeah, right" or "I bet you did" or some sort of similar veiled insult full of implied nastiness, and I asked you for clarification - three times. You never answered the question.

Answer it. What was it about my statement that you doubt?
But you are SuperWoman, or you were only able to get out of poverty because you are White. Everyone knows the Poor are unable to work hard and lift themselves up by getting motivated. There is no opportunity in America unless you are a white male.

Did I miss any of the lefts talking points?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies