Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 03:39 PM

808 posts, read 663,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngGirl View Post
I am not sure about other states, but in Florida initial application is simple. You answer questions without attaching any proof and receiving temporary medicaid card via mail. It's conditional upon verification of all paperwork. If woman is not providing proof of citizenship or income, her conditional coverage is cancelled and it happens 4-6 weeks after receiving card by mail. If women is giving birth within that period of time she shows her temp medicaid card at the hospital and madicaid is covering all expenses before coverage is getting cancelled.

I kept track of birth tourists for over a year now and none were denied entry. Yes, some are getting questions regarding pregnancy and financial situation, but no one was denied to entry the US.
These wealthy women are coming here 4 weeks before delivery at the most so their prago bellies are visible. Don't believe me? Go to Miami airport and wait for international flights. You will be suprised I promise.

Too bad gov. doesn't care about what's going on with milking their system
if a woman is giving birth she is going to be treated in the hospital no matter what - she is under EMTALA protection ( and the reason why costs of the healthcare is skyrocketing). It is the payment of the bill we are discussing - usually is even easier by these woman - plain ignored, since the treatment upon admission is not connected to the ability to pay.

Obtaining the medicaid itself is not that easy. Sure, you can apply and send the paperwork, but if you are not a citizen you are not eligible - even permanent residents are not, unless they have been those before 1996.

I am in Miami airport regularly and in Ft Lauderdale as well - not that many pregnant women encountered.
I live in South Florida.

If your experience on the stories is internet bragging - I would not place too much value on that.
How were you keeping track on these birthers?

And how many did you count in a year? ( just curious, without irony)

Old 07-31-2013, 03:45 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,907,547 times
I doubt a lot of this. Yes we all know illegals are coming here and having kids on Medicaid. This is a problem. Tourists coming here to give birth just seems weird. I know many are coming here to have kids so they are citizens but my understanding is most are not using Medicaid. I don't believe any of them should be and yes they should be denied citizenship.

Interestingly though this happened to my paternal grandmother. She came here when she was pregnant and had the ship known she would have been denied entry. She gave birth her to my dad. However she was married to an American serviceman so a bit different.

Old 07-31-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Emergency medicaid requires no papers or proof of citizenship.
I just posted a link about it a few posts up.
not true. it is emergency TREATMENT which requires no proof of anything - it is called EMTALA and it has been around 25 years. The article is talking about the state paying the hospitals under emergency medicaid provision, not illegals getting it. In Florida legal permanent residents are not eligible for any medicaid, though there are personalized options and decisions.

this is from your own article:

The federal government doesn’t require states to report how many people receive services through Emergency Medicaid payments to hospitals.
Legal immigrants who’ve been in the United States less than five years aren't eligible for regular Medicaid coverage, though states have the option of extending it to children and pregnant women.
Despite the surge in overall Medicaid spending in the past decade, Emergency Medicaid costs have been remarkably stable. A 2004 study by the Government Accountability Office that looked at data from the 10 states with the highest expected Emergency Medicaid costs, reported $2 billion in spending. State officials say spending varies depending on immigration patterns and that during the economic slowdown, the number of illegal immigrants dropped.
The definition of emergency care and the scope of services available through the Medicaid programs vary by state. For example, in New York, Emergency Medicaid may be used to provide chemotherapy and radiation therapy to illegal immigrants. In New York, California and North Carolina, it may be used to provide outpatient dialysis to undocumented patients.
Other states have tried to narrow the definition of "emergency" to limit what's covered. "Each state has its own interpretation," said Jane Perkins, the legal director of the National Health Law Program, which advocates for the working poor.
Last year, for instance, Florida changed its policy to pay for emergency services for eligible undocumented immigrants only until their conditions had been "stabilized." Previously, its policy was to pay for care that was "medically necessary to relieve or eliminate the emergency medical condition."
Many hospitals -- particularly those in the immigrant areas of Miami and Tampa -- feared the change would cut millions of dollars in funding. An administrative law judge ruled in December that Florida had enacted the change improperly because it didn't go through a public hearing process; the state is appealing.
Short, the chief financial officer at Tampa General Hospital, said the $10 million the hospital collected each year to treat illegal immigrants was "very important to us." He noted that Medicaid pays the hospital about $1,500 for each day a Medicaid patient is in the hospital.
Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami collects about $50 million a year in Emergency Medicaid funding, according to the state Agency for Health Care Administration.

In other words - in an emergency you just hit the ER door and will get help. Applying for emergency medicaid will only help the hospital to get funds from the state for the treatment one has already received.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I doubt a lot of this. Yes we all know illegals are coming here and having kids on Medicaid. This is a problem. Tourists coming here to give birth just seems weird. I know many are coming here to have kids so they are citizens but my understanding is most are not using Medicaid. I don't believe any of them should be and yes they should be denied citizenship.

Interestingly though this happened to my paternal grandmother. She came here when she was pregnant and had the ship known she would have been denied entry. She gave birth her to my dad. However she was married to an American serviceman so a bit different.
That is because you are an American and do not value much something you have just being born here. EngGirl is right in terms that it is happening, exactly from the countries she states and even more - the wealthy people not sure about their future ( how can you be sure in Russia or in China) want to have an American citizen child and then eventually get their status adjusted when the child reaches 21 y.o.

It doesn't mean they stay here and their medicaid is good only for the delivery ( basically to cover the costs fro the hospitals by taxpayer's money, otherwise they have to cover themselves) but in any instance they will be provided help for the delivery - the hospital can not deny it under EMTALA.

The scope of the issue is speculative.

Because if one is pregnant and shows up in the embassy in any of those countries she mentioned - they will be denied the visa.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:34 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,907,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
That is because you are an American and do not value much something you have just being born here. EngGirl is right in terms that it is happening, exactly from the countries she states and even more - the wealthy people not sure about their future ( how can you be sure in Russia or in China) want to have an American citizen child and then eventually get their status adjusted when the child reaches 21 y.o.

It doesn't mean they stay here and their medicaid is good only for the delivery ( basically to cover the costs fro the hospitals by taxpayer's money, otherwise they have to cover themselves) but in any instance they will be provided help for the delivery - the hospital can not deny it under EMTALA.

The scope of the issue is speculative.

Because if one is pregnant and shows up in the embassy in any of those countries she mentioned - they will be denied the visa.
I've heard of this but not this angle. I have heard that many wealthy women are coming here and having babies they pay for then moving back. Apparently they do this for citizenship for the kid for college. A woman coming here and paying for her delivery, while bothersome doesn't bother me like the women coming here and getting on Medicaid.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:14 PM

2,475 posts, read 2,078,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
:rolle yes:

Goes to show that you don't understand what you are talking about and never read the cases. The courts ruled that they have the same protections under the US Constitution, despite being here illegally. Not that certain "amendments" protect them.
I don't understand what I am talking about? ...

I highlighted the wording in your links to help you understand that they talk about the EPC as directed from the States perspective. I'm sorry you don't know or comprehend basic Law, it's rather obvious you don't understand what you are discussing or even what the links and cases you link to fully state.

I suggest not making claims to things that you are not fully versed in.

I note that your hero historiandud hasn't come here to save you, maybe you should have a conference message session with him to straighten you out.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 07-31-2013 at 06:39 PM..

Old 07-31-2013, 06:20 PM

Quote:
and there goes Informed consent showing yet again that she has no clue what "subject to jurisdiction" means.
Did you even bother to attempt to comprehend what IC stated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If one is born in the U.S. a foreign citizen, they are not under the jurisdiction of the U.S. They are under the jurisdiction of the foreign country. Pretty simple.
He is talking about foreign ambassadors and consules stationed in the US.

Quote:
and you base your post on this known false premise.

on US Soil = subject to jurisdiction (only two exemptions exist : Prisoner of War and Ambassadors)
You seem to base your retorts on an inability to actually comprehend the discussion and to whom it pertains. There is also persons held in limbo that have not yet entered the US that give birth, that even though their child was born on US soil per say (caught at the border or holding cell at port of entry), they are not granted US Citizenship due to not actually having entered the US.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idon'tdateyou View Post
I've heard of this but not this angle. I have heard that many wealthy women are coming here and having babies they pay for then moving back. Apparently they do this for citizenship for the kid for college. A woman coming here and paying for her delivery, while bothersome doesn't bother me like the women coming here and getting on Medicaid.
they are not getting medicaid for anything else except that delivery, it does not cover anything else.

I doubt they even do this, since most just need the birth certificate

Old 07-31-2013, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
US. Secretaries of State do. I've posted their citizenship determinations. Clearly, those born in the U.S. to an alien parent are subject to a foreign power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus
and there goes Informed consent showing yet again that she has no clue what "subject to jurisdiction" means.
7FAM1111 is DoS Policy, it is up to the DoS to allow or not children born to illegals BRC. As it stands since the Obama Admin took over the FAM has changed to stating that even children born to illegals attain BRC at birth if within the US (their reasoning is their interpretation of WKA). This can change either with Congressional Law for which the Pres or the DoS Secretary has no say in the matter (immigration is solely Congress), or by a new DoS head that interprets prior laws differently.

You are using "subject to the jurisdiction" (as explained by Gray in WKA) out of context, as used from the Schooner Exchange "within the jurisdiction". The Schooner Exchange defines it as
Quote:
When private individuals of one nation spread themselves through another as business or caprice may direct, mingling indiscriminately with the inhabitants of that other, or when merchant vessels enter for the purposes of trade, it would be obviously inconvenient and dangerous to society, and would subject the laws to continual infraction and the government to degradation, if such individuals or merchants did not owe temporary and local allegiance and were not amenable to the jurisdiction of the country. Nor can the foreign sovereign have any motive for wishing such exemption. His subjects thus passing into foreign countries are not employed by him, nor are they engaged in national pursuits. Consequently there are powerful motives for not exempting persons of this description from the jurisdiction of the country in which they are found, and no one motive for requiring it. The implied license, therefore, under which they enter can never be construed to grant such exemption.
You, I hope, understand that this is about foreign visitors and immigrants who enter with either an implied or expressed license. (Today that would be called a VISA)

We have hashed this out before, here: Bill to end Birthright Citizenship put forth.

Last edited by Liquid Reigns; 07-31-2013 at 06:51 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies