Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2013, 09:05 PM

17,478 posts, read 9,303,835 times

Advertisements

There must be an "accounting", but don't you dare ask what that accounting would be. To "ask" only proves you and all your ancestors are died in the wool Racists.

For Ever and Ever ...... Amen.

This is exactly the reason for the "Fatigue". There is no end, there will never be an End.
I'm worn out with 50 years of this. I marched in the 1960's and believed I was right to do so.
I didn't waste my time and I would do it again, but I'm "fatigued" with this Generation of those who appear to yearn for those times of battle. The battle was won, but they have morphed to a yearning for some sort of weird Race War and what they perceive as .... I can't figure it out. These kids today have no clue about the reality of real Racism as we knew it decades ago.

I
Don't
Care
Any
More

I Tried
I Give Up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 08:49 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,727,889 times
That is because people like you are running outdated “virus” detection software which only knows how to detect viruses as they existed when you installed that software. If you run YOUR software on a modern internet connected computer, it will never detect modern viruses and all the problems the PC is having you will swear is unrelated to “viruses”, but rather, user error. See the problem? You need to update your virus detection software from version 1.0 to version 8.1.2.

You see, most black folks are running 8.1.2, while most white folks are running 1.0. Hence, black folks detect a lot of viruses while white folks are not. When white folks use their software to scan the pc, they are looking for viruses with the same signature that existed when 1.0 first came out….and when they bought the software. The problem is that hackers are always readjusting their code and coming up with new ways to sabotage people’s computers.

Of course, virus is an analogy for racism in this rebuttal. The problem is that too many whites think that viruses were essentially eradicated when 1.0 came out, which is when the legal foundation of racism was eradicated in the 60’s. At that point, all the racist said: “Oh darn! Ok…..it’s time to change my heart and straighten up my act and start treating black folks as equal, because now discrimination is illegal”. Yep. That is what happened. Racist and racism became “Down by law” and black folks could live happily ever after.

That is how a lot of white folks want to narrate the story, especially and particularly conservative white folks. Conservative whites are almost all using racism 1.0. Hence, if there are no laws which are racist, like when 1.0 came out and every conservative white person stood with MLK and others to eradicate these laws and injustice, then racism is not a problem. These same white folks will, however, tell you that crime in America is a MAJOR problem. Well….how can that be? Last I checked crime was AGAINST THE LAW. I mean, since racism cannot be a problem unless its LEGAL, then how can violence be a problem without being LEGAL? It seems to me that racist and racism is just like crime and criminals in that once you have that “mindset” laws are not going to subdue you.

When prohibition was enacted, did people stop selling and drinking liquor because it was illegal to do so? Yet, we are to believe that racism, as a problem, ended 50 years ago…..because it was made illegal? There are countless studies being done that show that racism and discrimination against blacks is alive and well in America……too bad white conservatives refuse to update their software to detect it.

Old 08-10-2013, 10:08 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,080,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
That is because people like you are running outdated “virus” detection software which only knows how to detect viruses as they existed when you installed that software. If you run YOUR software on a modern internet connected computer, it will never detect modern viruses and all the problems the PC is having you will swear is unrelated to “viruses”, but rather, user error. See the problem? You need to update your virus detection software from version 1.0 to version 8.1.2.

You see, most black folks are running 8.1.2, while most white folks are running 1.0. Hence, black folks detect a lot of viruses while white folks are not. When white folks use their software to scan the pc, they are looking for viruses with the same signature that existed when 1.0 first came out….and when they bought the software. The problem is that hackers are always readjusting their code and coming up with new ways to sabotage people’s computers.

Of course, virus is an analogy for racism in this rebuttal. The problem is that too many whites think that viruses were essentially eradicated when 1.0 came out, which is when the legal foundation of racism was eradicated in the 60’s. At that point, all the racist said: “Oh darn! Ok…..it’s time to change my heart and straighten up my act and start treating black folks as equal, because now discrimination is illegal”. Yep. That is what happened. Racist and racism became “Down by law” and black folks could live happily ever after.

That is how a lot of white folks want to narrate the story, especially and particularly conservative white folks. Conservative whites are almost all using racism 1.0. Hence, if there are no laws which are racist, like when 1.0 came out and every conservative white person stood with MLK and others to eradicate these laws and injustice, then racism is not a problem. These same white folks will, however, tell you that crime in America is a MAJOR problem. Well….how can that be? Last I checked crime was AGAINST THE LAW. I mean, since racism cannot be a problem unless its LEGAL, then how can violence be a problem without being LEGAL? It seems to me that racist and racism is just like crime and criminals in that once you have that “mindset” laws are not going to subdue you.

When prohibition was enacted, did people stop selling and drinking liquor because it was illegal to do so? Yet, we are to believe that racism, as a problem, ended 50 years ago…..because it was made illegal? There are countless studies being done that show that racism and discrimination against blacks is alive and well in America……too bad white conservatives refuse to update their software to detect it.
Indentured Servant: I've read a lot of your posts and you seem to be very knowledgeable on subject matter, but I'm not sure you quite understand how most white people view the world. Think a lot more hopelessly naive and a lot less secretly promoting our biases. Most white people are unaware of the fact that white privilege exists and thinks it's all normal. That doesn't mean that by convoluted logic that they think blacks are inferior (some posters on this forum notwithstanding); rather, that they don't see why black people can't be exactly like white people (because that's normal) if there's no direct racial oppression. By the way, while there is definitely much less of it, there are certain instances of black privilege, where a lot of black people are unaware of it too.

Let's put it this way - from what I understand, you're a Michigander (and possibly a Detroiter, at least part time,) so you have some insight into the Detroit situation that most people don't have. A lot of people from outside the region/state don't understand the complexities. So a lot of people having been going off of what they've heard, not what they've experienced, when hearing about Detroit and its problems.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:18 AM

78,642 posts, read 60,809,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Indentured Servant: I've read a lot of your posts and you seem to be very knowledgeable on subject matter, but I'm not sure you quite understand how most white people view the world. Think a lot more hopelessly naive and a lot less secretly promoting our biases. Most white people are unaware of the fact that white privilege exists and thinks it's all normal. That doesn't mean that by convoluted logic that they think blacks are inferior (some posters on this forum notwithstanding); rather, that they don't see why black people can't be exactly like white people (because that's normal) if there's no direct racial oppression. By the way, while there is definitely much less of it, there are certain instances of black privilege, where a lot of black people are unaware of it too.

Let's put it this way - from what I understand, you're a Michigander (and possibly a Detroiter, at least part time,) so you have some insight into the Detroit situation that most people don't have. A lot of people from outside the region/state don't understand the complexities. So a lot of people having been going off of what they've heard, not what they've experienced, when hearing about Detroit and its problems.
The problem is that what used to be white privilege morphing more and more into CLASS privilege anymore.

Interestingly enough, the biggest problem with race based quotas is that it tends to freeze out blacks from tougher\poorer backgrounds while the children of the Collin Powells or a black pediatrician or other successful black person haven't had those disadvantages and tend to take up "slots". That's why it's nice to see those measures being mitigated by looking at peoples backgrounds. (This was also a problem with African students taking up university slots, there have been several articles regarding this.)

The OP might actually fall out of his chair to hear me agree that historic racism has direct ties to todays situation. For example, my in-laws are going to help with about 1 year of my kids college. Had they been black they'd have spent most of their lives in a setting vastly more racist than today and be far less likely to help financially all else being equal.

Where we disagree is that their "virus detection" in particular is so highly honed that it delivers a lot of false positives as well as spotting things others may not. Their stubborn defense of Kwame and depiction of negative commetns about him as being racially motivated is plain as day. The guy is a crook that robbed Detroit, not anything a lot of white mayors haven't done, but since his skin is black he gets a defense predicated on racism when it isn't. Kwame robbed Detroit and is a jerk, it's got nothing to do with him being black....just like the last republican mayor of Chicago who was arguably the most corrupt politician in US history....and he happened to be white. So what?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post

I can’t claim to know how most white people view the world….and I do not believe that you can either, because neither you nor I have meet all white people or even .0001 percent of them. Even those that we have met, we cannot assume that they have revealed their inner most thoughts on subjects, like race, to the degree that we know what they are thinking and feeling, especially when or if there are stigmas associated with having certain beliefs and opinions. I will offer this, however, and that is black people, if we are exist outside the ghettos, must get to know whites more so than whites need to get to know blacks. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but that is the general rule.

That having been said, my opinion does not rest on a foundation of all or most white people. I mean….really….what percent of whites is required to be racist to cause problems for black people as a whole? I submit that given that there are 5 whites for every 1 black, the majority of whites need not be racist to have a detrimental impact upon blacks. Only a very small percentage of whites owned slaves, but that small percentage did a lot of harm. Again, using the analogy of crime, a very, very small percent of residents of a city, engaged in violent crime, can have a profound effect on the quality of life in a city (property values, insurance cost, business investments...), and most people recognize that. By the same token, it does not take a large percentage of whites, being racist, to impact the quality of life and opportunity for blacks….given the one-to-many nature of impact.

There are probably more whites who are naive, than those who are racist….but neither phenomenon impacts blacks favorably. It seems to me that people are hell bent on removing the linkage between black socioeconomic inequality with past and present white racism. Instead, whites are much more comfortable believing that racial inequality, statistically, is rooted in the NATURE of black people and not the NURTURE of an unequal history of treatment in this nation. If white people would simply assume or conclude subconsciously that blacks are just as smart, hard working, loving and responsible as whites are.....then consciously they would conclude that something happened to black people to throw their equality with whites out of balance. However, when the subconscious believes blacks are inferior.....then it does not allow the conscious mind to conclude that inequality is caused by something EXTERNAL, like racism, but rather, something INTERNAL and endemic to being "black".

Last edited by Indentured Servant; 08-10-2013 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-11-2013, 02:58 PM

78,642 posts, read 60,809,315 times
Quote:
I can’t claim to know how most white people view the world….and I do not believe that you can either, because neither you nor I have meet all white people or even .0001 percent of them. Even those that we have met, we cannot assume that they have revealed their inner most thoughts on subjects, like race, to the degree that we know what they are thinking and feeling, especially when or if there are stigmas associated with having certain beliefs and opinions. I will offer this, however, and that is black people, if we are exist outside the ghettos, must get to know whites more so than whites need to get to know blacks. Of course, there are exceptions to the rule, but that is the general rule.

That having been said, my opinion does not rest on a foundation of all or most white people. I mean….really….what percent of whites is required to be racist to cause problems for black people as a whole? I submit that given that there are 5 whites for every 1 black, the majority of whites need not be racist to have a detrimental impact upon blacks. Only a very small percentage of whites owned slaves, but that small percentage did a lot of harm. Again, using the analogy of crime, a very, very small percent of residents of a city, engaged in violent crime, can have a profound effect on the quality of life in a city (property values, insurance cost, business investments...), and most people recognize that. By the same token, it does not take a large percentage of whites, being racist, to impact the quality of life and opportunity for blacks….given the one-to-many nature of impact.

There are probably more whites who are naive, than those who are racist….but neither phenomenon impacts blacks favorably. It seems to me that people are hell bent on removing the linkage between black socioeconomic inequality with past and present white racism. Instead, whites are much more comfortable believing that racial inequality, statistically, is rooted in the NATURE of black people and not the NURTURE of an unequal history of treatment in this nation. If white people would simply assume or conclude subconsciously that blacks are just as smart, hard working, loving and responsible as whites are.....then consciously they would conclude that something happened to black people to throw their equality with whites out of balance. However, when the subconscious believes blacks are inferior.....then it does not allow the conscious mind to conclude that inequality is caused by something EXTERNAL, like racism, but rather, something INTERNAL and endemic to being "black".
Weird how in one breath you say this and in another breath you dismiss criticism of Kwame as "racist".

One would think that a grown man would address these facts as opposed to hiding....but oh well, I've given you ample opportunity to face your own racism here and obviously it's not going to happen. All it takes is a white person criticizing a black person and you are there to defend.

Old 08-14-2013, 01:35 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,794,543 times
Quote:
Have you ever sought to make the same point about welfare and children born out of wedlock? Statistically, there are more white people on welfare than blacks and more white children or born out of wedlock than are black children. It seems when a statistic is used NOT to denigrate black people, that some white folks will switch the topic to NUMBERS as opposed to PERCENTAGES, to give the impression that the situation is not particular or endemic to black people....and discredit a larger argument that is being made. When the issue is crime, rarely to you hear white people try to chime in and create a "balance" which shows white crime. Racism is another one. Many whites are quick to try to call and create the impression that blacks are just as racist (if not more) than whites, because racism is a negative and the negatives of whites MUST be equalized with blacks to create a normalization. However, no such normalization attempts are made for those things that are generally viewed as positives in favor of whites or negatives in favor of blacks.

Why is there this assumption that blacks "Do not realize"? Blacks do realize the impact of this.....more than you give them credit for. Blacks have calculated, however, that in the aggregate, they will come out better supporting the position of the Democratic Party.....and keeping out republicans, despite what they might lose in regards to immigration. In the long run, blacks, like you, know that these immigrants will likely vote for the Democratic Party and hence ensure going forward more democratic policies for the country, which include things that will offset whatever they might lose in labor competition.

Again, why the assumption that I am embellishing......if you don't know much about Detroit? Secondly, I have no worries about the white guy getting Credit. That is simply the way America has worked. I do not have to worry about it......it is what it is. I am just taking note of it.....as the beat goes on.
Looking for a fight? Was there any mention of welfare, or children born out of wedlock in my original post? But since you brought it up, has it occurred to you that not all people are on welfare by choice? But by default? Look at the predominantly white areas of rural areas and many suburb areas that are mostly white, the problem with these areas is that they do not have the benefit of the same economic diversity of most urban/city locations with a more varied choice of employment opportunity. So, when factories close down in the middle of PA, or in western MA poverty is the result, affecting that population. I have lived in several cities that were poor and had predominantly white populations, the first one was very poor (Woonsocket,RI); one glaring fact I realized is that these cities often don't have the high crime associated with impoverished cities that are more diverse in their populations. It should also be noted that most poor cities that are predominantly white, and are "affordable" don't stay white for long, and thus don't remain with a reasonably low crime rate either. Detroit is the most dangerous city in this country because of black people. If you watched the Today Show yesterday, it was reported that black and Hispanic males commit 92% of the crime in our country. That's 92%, not 52%, not 62%, but 92%! However, you should do yourself a favor and vote for the black candidate, as a matter of fact, I'm sure it is quite possible with a little bit of organizing for a black candidate to win Detroit with too much effort.

Old 08-14-2013, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
Looking for a fight? Was there any mention of welfare, or children born out of wedlock in my original post? But since you brought it up, has it occurred to you that not all people are on welfare by choice? But by default? Look at the predominantly white areas of rural areas and many suburb areas that are mostly white, the problem with these areas is that they do not have the benefit of the same economic diversity of most urban/city locations with a more varied choice of employment opportunity. So, when factories close down in the middle of PA, or in western MA poverty is the result, affecting that population. I have lived in several cities that were poor and had predominantly white populations, the first one was very poor (Woonsocket,RI); one glaring fact I realized is that these cities often don't have the high crime associated with impoverished cities that are more diverse in their populations. It should also be noted that most poor cities that are predominantly white, and are "affordable" don't stay white for long, and thus don't remain with a reasonably low crime rate either. Detroit is the most dangerous city in this country because of black people. If you watched the Today Show yesterday, it was reported that black and Hispanic males commit 92% of the crime in our country. That's 92%, not 52%, not 62%, but 92%! However, you should do yourself a favor and vote for the black candidate, as a matter of fact, I'm sure it is quite possible with a little bit of organizing for a black candidate to win Detroit with too much effort.
The black community became violent when it became the retail venue for drug sales in the late 60’s early 70’s. Competition for market share and territory in the lucrative trade of banned substances generally results in increased crime and violence. Simply look at the prohibition era for example, a violent era of white criminality now romanticized, but driven by many of the same factors that have ramped up violence in the black community the last 40 years. Then look at Columbia when it became a source country for drugs….followed by Mexico and the carnage that has taken place there due to drug cartel violence.

Old 08-15-2013, 01:56 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,794,543 times
Quote:
The black community became violent when it became the retail venue for drug sales in the late 60’s early 70’s. Competition for market share and territory in the lucrative trade of banned substances generally results in increased crime and violence. Simply look at the prohibition era for example, a violent era of white criminality now romanticized, but driven by many of the same factors that have ramped up violence in the black community the last 40 years. Then look at Columbia when it became a source country for drugs….followed by Mexico and the carnage that has taken place there due to drug cartel violence.
As you usual, and as a member of the black race you will think of a every convenient excuse to not take any responsibility for your behavior. You have an excuse for every ill within your community, somehow related and caused by whites. So, what you are saying is, is that the vast majority of the black race is involved in the drug trade, thus became violent. Unbelievable. Blacks are violent all over the world. They are violent in Nigeria, South Africa, everywhere in Africa, Jamaica, and everywhere there is a black population. And you actually, believe a considerable percentage of the white population was involved prohibition? Romanticized? Unbelievable. You believe the problems in Mexico are related to drugs? Of course with the white world responsible. Not the economy? `

Old 08-15-2013, 01:57 PM

390 posts, read 942,955 times
No. The city is predominantly Black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies