Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 11:11 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,422,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Did you notice he was driving a Cadillac Escalade?
Yep, nice ride especially for being on welfare. And as you hard working people out there struggling to make ends meet, driving a car that you hope you can get another year out of, no worries, you were able to help the surfer dude out after all he needed a Escalade to haul his surfboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 11:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
And you obviously did not not really know why, you simply assumed. My taxes did not go up, did yours, I think Not, so much for that piece of propaganda.
Where does the money come from if not taxes to pay for these programs?

Old 08-10-2013, 11:34 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
Quote:
Never been poor have ya. Let me enlighten you, when you are poor you end up having to buy cheap food, hotdogs and macaroni, guess what most cheap foods are high in fat content. Consider yourself better informed now.
I'm not poor, but I like hot dogs and cheese and mac is my favorite.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Where does the money come from if not taxes to pay for these programs?
They don't consider Bernanke's printing press as anything to be concerned about.

That's ok though because sooner or later the chickens will come home to roost and the piper will demand to be paid.

$1 trillion per year and growing at a 20% annual clip.
That's how much means tested government programs cost.
The Fed portion is about $800 billion and the states portion is $200 billion.

The CRS went through the 2011 budget and pulled out all the means tested programs and added them up.
Does not include medicare or social security as they are not means tested.

Now why doesn't our government have a "Means tested program" category where we can see this total ?
Why did a Congressman have to ask the CRS to go do this arithmetic ?

The FedGov doesn't want you to know that Americans can't afford to live in the US anymore and that number is growing each year.
And the press won't headline this. Jeff Sessions is a Republican.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:39 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Childless adults can only get SNAP for 3 months every 3 years. "Jason the surfer" might be gaming some system, but it isn't the SNAP system.
Wrong. That's how the old food stamp program worked.

Eligibility <<go down the page to Income:
SNAP is now a full year, and the requirements have been eased. That's the problem, Jason is gaming the system legitimately.

Jason Greenslate - Jeff Spicoli eats Sushi & Lobster off EBT cards

Jason Greenslate of ‘Ratt Life’ from La Jolla, CA (near San Diego) is a perfect example of the abuses the food stamp program and other government services that we the tax payers have to foot the bill for.

BTW, La Jolla is one of the wealthiest areas to live in California.

I hope Greenslate's life is turned upside down for having the nads to broadcast his unabashed leeching off tax payers.

Last edited by steven_h; 08-10-2013 at 11:49 AM..

Old 08-10-2013, 11:56 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Never been poor have ya. Let me enlighten you, when you are poor you end up having to buy cheap food, hotdogs and macaroni, guess what most cheap foods are high in fat content. Consider yourself better informed now.
It's a fact that people on food assistance tend to gain weight. I doubt that would happen is it were limited to vegetables and fruit as it should be. The fact that sushi and lobster can be purchased shows that it isn't properly administrated (what a surprise!).

There's a wide spread epidemic of people using their cards to purchase booze and tobacco products as well. This is what happens when thousands of liquor stores are allowed to accept the cards.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:02 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Yea sure. Your ignorance makes it easy people to get on snap. Take the surfer dude. Not a thing wrong with him and all he does is surf all the time, no guilt because people like you fall for his pity party when he applies.
It's interesting you deduce that my 20-plus years working in social services amounts to ignorance.

I can fully explain the safeguards used to prevent fraud and ensure people receiving benefits are forthcoming and truthful. I can also delineate the extent of benefits offered as well as eligibility criteria (again, with the checks an balances in place.)

Can you?

Are there people who game the system and collect benefits they do not deserve and are not in fact eligible for?

Heck YES. It most certainly happens. It is unfortunate, but also unavoidable. Fortunately, those people are the exception and not the rule.

Quote:
What about the moms and dads working their buts off to pay for the waste land.
The vast majority of people receiving SNAP and other benefits are also working their butts off.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:30 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Since it's fox news, you can guarantee this is another right wing plant like james O'*****.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Childless adults can only get SNAP for 3 months every 3 years. "Jason the surfer" might be gaming some system, but it isn't the SNAP system.
Media Matters attempt to downplay the reporting of truth. I watched the interview and the surfer dude did all the talking. The guy was not embarrassed and didn't care about living off other people who work.

yep, we go to work so surfer guy can surf all day and party all night.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
Since it's fox news, you can guarantee this is another right wing plant like james O'*****.
Since it was liberal Media Matters you can guarantee it is a cover up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies