Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 10:29 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Obama's America. Wait until you see what they'll do when you didn't pay up your Obamacare fees.
Not to worry. The IRS is armed and ready for the event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 10:34 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,369,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
A lot of this problem is coming from the hysteria following 9/11 and implementation of the patriot act.
We need to admit that the patriot act was a mistake and repeal it, then the flood of money for purchasing military equipment for local law enforcement will end and things can return to normal.
So, who are the hysterics? The people or the LEO's?

The PAT act was/is all too encompassing and does need to be repealed.

LE will NEVER give up toys they've been given.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:56 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
So, who are the hysterics? The people or the LEO's?

The PAT act was/is all too encompassing and does need to be repealed.

LE will NEVER give up toys they've been given.
It is government who is hysterical, and if the Patriot act were repealed most of the funding for the militarization of LEO would go with it.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:17 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,046,032 times
Ms. Goodman covered this story a while back.

"The War at Home: Militarized Local Police Tap Post-9/11 Grants to Stockpile Combat Gear, Use Drones"

Old 08-10-2013, 12:27 PM

27,146 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Just take a look at how they dress. They are starting to look more like a military unit than a local police force.
Showing up in tanks, wearing camo and sporting weapons powerful enough to invade a country.

I guess we should thank DHS for the military and terrorist training they gave along with all that money for their new "toys".

In a town nearby here there are cars & trucks that are the blackest black I have seen including the windows.
Insignia on it is a very slightly shade of black lighter than the rest of the vehicle.
You can't even see the markings unless you are within 6' and even then it is almost impossible to see.

So hard in fact you have to know they are there and then look closely to find them.

They have tons of lights on them, including those to light up the area all around the vehicle, that you can't see unless they are on.

Seeing 3-5 of these vehicles in action at a scene sure looks like a military operation.

Even some LEOs I know are aware and apprehensive of this new direction.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,749,338 times
Judging from the corrections paragraph at the end, some of those units did not like that kind of publicity

Old 08-10-2013, 12:45 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,868,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
No, police are not mandated with protecting citizens.

To acknowledge the 'evil side' is testament that you must accept some measure of what is happening to American law enforcement.

As cops quite often state - the job is boring for the most part.

Grown adults acting like 13 year olds? Cops are supposed to be trained and educated to assess threats. Kicking doors in and shooting at whatever moves is poor training on top of poor judgement.

Don't be so praiseworthy of those that do not protect and serve when they themselves say they do not protect and serve.
I know there are evil police and good ones. Everyone knows this. Just like firefighters some are good and some are pyros that start the darn fire.

I still think both jobs are hard. Yes I will praise anyone I think that is good.

What Does a Police Officer Do? (with pictures) - mobile wiseGEEK

Old 08-10-2013, 01:50 PM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Never does happen.

People were outraged here too when a cop got off with murdering a father of 3 but no charges were brought.

Why should those in power listen when the population isn't gonna do anything about it?
There have been a few cops prosecuted, but they found a loop hole. Just ask for a non-jury trial. It is not a hard to find a judge that will rubber stamp a not guilty verdict no matter how obvious the criminal conduct was. There was one case in a neighboring county were the Chief of Police fired an officer for beating people up and breaking in to homes to steal drugs. The DA filed aggravated assault, breaking and entering, and robbery charges against the fired cop. Cop asked for a non-jury trial, found not guilty after a one day trial. The DA was so infuriated that he filled a complaint with the judicial review board and asked the Federal prosecutor to look in to the case. Nothing came of it, the cop filed an union grievance and the township was forced to rehire him. As long as this level of corruption exists nothing will change.

Old 08-10-2013, 03:51 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Chicago isn't called "Gangster" City because of the new gangs.
It's because of the Obama administration, right?

Old 08-10-2013, 04:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Ah; back to the days F wanted dead or live warrants posters. Perhaps they will start offering rewards ;dead or alive I time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies