Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 05:35 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,471,061 times

Advertisements

Full Story: In Jamaica, transgender teen murdered by mob

Quote:
MONTEGO BAY, Jamaica (AP) — Dwayne Jones was relentlessly teased in high school for being effeminate until he dropped out. His father not only kicked him out of the house at the age of 14 but also helped jeering neighbors push the youngster from the rough Jamaican slum where he grew up.

By age 16, the teenager was dead — beaten, stabbed, shot and run over by a car when he showed up at a street party dressed as a woman. His mistake: confiding to a friend that he was attending a "straight" party as a girl for the first time in his life.

"When I saw Dwayne's body, I started shaking and crying," said Khloe, one of three transgender friends who shared a derelict house with the teenager in the hills above the north coast city of Montego Bay.
Eternal Rest, Dwayne.

I don't "G" for this savagery.

And when I've stated in the past that I've been told by males of Jamaican descent how much the women of Jamaica hate gay males, will cheer their lynching, some on this site will act all huffy like I'm exaggerating about the sweet, loving Jamaican women.

I'm sure not all Jamaican women are like that--as I'm sure not all heterosexual Jamaican males lynch gay males--but lots are like that. Too many.

I have a prejudice against Jamaican women. I'd prefer a Brazilian one over them, and Brazilian women are even more tolerant of gay males than American women (Brazilian women might have sex with them).

You can disagree with something while still respecting the humanity of the person, liking their other qualities, and giving them the space to live their lives.

Part of what drives this in Jamaican culture is their love and pride in thinking themselves (the men) as the toughest SOB to walk planet earth. I give a f__ about their accent or what they like to think of themselves.

Quote:
International advocacy groups often portray this Caribbean island as the most hostile country in the Western Hemisphere for gay and transgender people. After two prominent gay rights activists were murdered, a researcher with the U.S.-based Human Rights Watch in 2006 called the environment in Jamaica for such groups "the worst any of us has ever seen."
Quote:
Dwayne's father in the Montego Bay slum of North Gully didn't want to talk about his son's life or death. The teen's family wouldn't even claim the body, according to Dwayne's friends.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 05:43 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,412,427 times
He knew the culture he lived in. What made him think he could dress like a woman and prance around at a straight party in a slum in Jamaica?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:48 PM

3,027 posts, read 2,519,255 times
kind of a weird angle from the OP, but this is tragic. why can't people just let gay/transgendered people be? why can't people let anyone be these days? I saw a video yesterday where some woman was harassing a breastfeeding mother about her "indecency". people need to mind their own damn business and f*** off with their personal beliefs when they are in public. you can run things the way you like in your own home/business. the rest of the world is for us all to share.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,950,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
He knew the culture he lived in. What made him think he could dress like a woman and prance around at a straight party in a slum in Jamaica?

Exactly. Looks like the gays better stay in the closet in Jamaica. Some people ask for trouble.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:49 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,166,525 times
Quote:
Oh look, blaming the victim. Tell me, why aren't you calling out the dbags who did this to him?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:50 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,454,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
kind of a weird angle from the OP, but this is tragic. why can't people just let gay/transgendered people be? why can't people let anyone be these days? I saw a video yesterday where some woman was harassing a breastfeeding mother about her "indecency". people need to mind their own damn business and f*** off with their personal beliefs when they are in public. you can run things the way you like in your own home/business. the rest of the world is for us all to share.
Couldn't the same be said about the woman breastfeeding in public ?

Old 08-11-2013, 05:52 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,097,577 times
Quote:
Damn straight. That freak had it coming.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
he'd probably been doing it for years. some of the same type of punks who killed him probably had hit it a couple times. there are always openly gay men in the hood. a lot of them don't get messed with because they have family members who would jack someone up. there was one in the small town I grew up in. I don't remember any guys ever starting isht with him. he had a crew of giant, mannish girl cousins who looked like they would jump somebody always around him.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Couldn't the same be said about the woman breastfeeding in public ?
no, because they're not trying to stop anyone from doing anything. they're just trying to feed their babies.

Old 08-11-2013, 05:56 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,086,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Oh look, blaming the victim. Tell me, why aren't you calling out the dbags who did this to him?
So if I, as a white man, walk alone at 3:00am through the worst ghettos of Chicago, the snakepits of Anacostia in DC, or the worst parts of South LA, and have something bad happen, it's not my fault? I had no reason to know better?

Sometimes the victim *is* asking for trouble and *should* know what to expect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies