Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 01:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times

Advertisements

Also they actually produce something that adds to GDP and pay taxes plus paying other workers and themselves for basic living. Food if you look is very cheap in US compared to other countries. Its really subsiding cheaper food as if numbers go down to totally free market in time there will be less produced driving up prices. In some years farmers like in time of draught would not invest in a crop. In time it would mean a few large producers who invest in crops like people companies do it producing product. There are abuses but comparing welfare to farm subsidises is like comparing defense. Linking one to the other tells you one can't stand on its own in representative government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

23,974 posts, read 15,082,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
At least Farmers are up at 4 AM starting to work..... Can you say that for YOUR EBT card holders?
My neighbor who got $129,000 in 14 years does not farm the land. He leases it. He only goes bird hunting on it.

You do know that 80% of the money goes to the top 10 corporate farms? The guy getting up at 4 to milk the cows will not see anywhere near the money that is going to ADM.

3,923 posts, read 3,646,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
All is see on these threads is people talking the abuses of EBT cards for people on welfare, yet i never a see a republican whine about the massive subsidies given to farmers. Doesn't this sound a little hypocritical?
Hmmm, lets see. Subsidize farming so farmers dont' lose their farms and can continue to farm. Or give free food, money, cell phones to perfectly healthy individuals who are just lazy enough to milk the system for years and years and years. Yep, I'm going to help the farmers. Welfare was meant to be a hand up for those who were down on their luck and needed a little help while they got back on their feet. It was never meant to be a permanent lifestyle. You wanna find a problem with welfare, there it is. Those who live the welfare lifestyle instead of using it to get back on their feet and better themselves are the problem. Farmers aren't the problem.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:02 PM

5,756 posts, read 3,998,245 times
Where does that food feeding the poor come from brainiac?
Farmers....

Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
You're telling me that government subsidies keep food prices low, but yet according to republicans if you leave everything to the market place with true price competition, that is what lowers prices. so which is it?
Depends on the purpose of the subsidy and the market. For example if you get rid of the oil subsidies it's a drop in the bucket for Exxon and and they can easily absorb those costs. Since it only comes out to fractions of a penny per gallon the market will be unaffected with the exception of less competition. Smaller companies without deep pockets like Exxon could be in big trouble, they are the ones that really benefit from the subsidy.

On the other hand if you take renewable energy sources the purpose of those subsidies is to make the product competitive. If you remove them the cost shoots up and all those renewable companies go bye bye.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:04 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Can republicans clarify something for me? I thought if you leave something to the market place and have competition, that lowers prices? Why is Ferd now telling me that farm subsidies keep prices low? I thought only a true free-market keeps prices low?
Don't you understand that subsidies distort economics? Venezuela sells gasoline at below refining costs.

Corn/wheat/whatever should cost what it costs - without government interference.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:20 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
And since you believe that statement of yours above to be the truth then I would have to say you should not be telling others they have NO CLUE!
Actually, it means I'm way, way, way ahead of you when it comes to having clues.

I was not only raised on a farm but was raised in a lifestyle where people took care of their own instead of sucking the government teat.

It's your call.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:23 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Yes, I understand. In the conservative alternative reality actual job growth isn't job growth. Keep telling yourself that.
The issue is do we create jobs that do not add to economy because let's face it 200-something per paycheck doesn't really add to the economy. Now yes, 200 is better than 0, but it still is crushing those earning those wages because that could be a tank of gas both weeks and nothing left for food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dumbdowndemocrats View Post
Where does that food feeding the poor come from brainiac?
Farmers....
No they come from Hostess, junk food companies and soft drink companies.

Old 08-12-2013, 02:24 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,241,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
My neighbor who got $129,000 in 14 years does not farm the land. He leases it. He only goes bird hunting on it.

You do know that 80% of the money goes to the top 10 corporate farms? The guy getting up at 4 to milk the cows will not see anywhere near the money that is going to ADM.
Post their names and phone numbers or it didn't happen.......

Old 08-12-2013, 02:25 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are also given to cover the premium for crop insurance which pays if the crop doesn't produce a harvest.
Back in my day, if you had a crop failure, for whatever reason (almost always drought), you sucked it up. You will have saved enough from the banner years to get you through. You banded together. You helped each other. You never, EVER latched onto the government teat. There wasn't such a thing. It would have been utterly shameful to have done such a thing, as it should still be.

The greatest help for people down on their crops was churches. Then families.

Welfare? Never heard of it 'til I grew up and moved to the city.

Times were rough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies