Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 09:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,215,838 times

Advertisements

It was a movie. Very few movies stick to the facts and only fools take a movie to be fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 09:22 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
It is disingenuous because when you use the word "supported" without defining it, you obviously are trying to leave the impression that Reagan was pro-apartheid. But as the quote I provided above shows, he wasn't. If you didn't want to be disingenuous, you would have provided better clarity of what you meant by supported. You would have given better context, better details etc. Not some hit and run smear.

And yes I could indeed put the same kind of smear on Obama if I wanted to, but I don't

President Obama: U.S. 'Deeply Concerned' Over Morsi's Ouster : The Two-Way : NPR

So Pres. Obama "supported" Morsi. And Morsi, an Islamist, made life tough for gays. Not as bad as, say, Iran, but perhaps that was because he didn't have enough time in office to crack down on them.

Morsi's Muslim Brotherhood And The Fears Of Egypt's Homosexuals > New English Review
If i did not define it, then i obviously did not leave an impression one way or the other, you simply inferred and did so incorrectly.

President Obama supported a Democratic process where a leader was chosen, not the leader itself or his policies.

Reagan however did support the government of South Africa, which was not elected by the population at large.

Your analogy does not work because work because South Africans didnt vote for apartheid!!!!

Old 08-18-2013, 10:35 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,354,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
If i did not define it, then i obviously did not leave an impression one way or the other, you simply inferred and did so incorrectly.

President Obama supported a Democratic process where a leader was chosen, not the leader itself or his policies.

Reagan however did support the government of South Africa, which was not elected by the population at large.

Your analogy does not work because work because South Africans didnt vote for apartheid!!!!

pffffft.

I'll post the quote again:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronald Reagan
Today’s Senate vote should not be viewed as the final chapter in America’s efforts, along with our allies, to address the plight of the people of South Africa. Instead, it underscores that America — and that means all of us — opposes apartheid, a malevolent and archaic system totally alien to our ideals. The debate, which culminated in today’s vote, was not whether or not to oppose apartheid but, instead, how best to oppose it and how best to bring freedom to that troubled country.
I deeply regret that Congress has seen fit to override my veto of the Comprehensive Anti-Apartheid Act of 1986. Punitive sanctions, I believe, are not the best course of action; they hurt the very people they are intended to help. My hope is that these punitive sanctions do not lead to more violence and more repression. Our administration will, nevertheless, implement the law. It must be recognized, however, that this will not solve the serious problems that plague that country. The United States must also move forward with positive measures to encourage peaceful change and advance the cause of democracy in South Africa.
But you're going to continue to push the lie that Reagan was a racist who supported apartheid. One more time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reagan
apartheid, a malevolent and archaic system totally alien to our ideals.
Will the lightbulb ever turn on? Probably not.

Old 08-18-2013, 10:58 PM

32,053 posts, read 15,049,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I don't have a problem with movies not being accurate in presentation. What I have a problem with is stupid people who believe what they see in movies and who think actors' personal lives and opinions bear repeating and emulating.

I realize it's hard to believe but a lot of people actually think reality shows and even documentaries are real. I never would have guessed how dumbed down America could become.

I hear you. Talk about dumbed down america. Conservatives need to get a better education and stop watching Honey BooBoo or what ever her name is. And they need to stop watching the pregnant teen show that seems to glorify getting pregnant. Funny how these shows are people in the south lol

Old 08-18-2013, 11:52 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,504,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Contrary to my normal behavior, I followed the link to Breitbart.

At a minimum, their # 1, 2, and 3 are lies.

Just to point out the issue about Reagan, he supported the South African apartheid system, he supported tax breaks for racist institutions like Bob Jones "University", he kicked off his campaign with a paean to states' rights (code word for racism and segregation) in Philadelphia, Mississippi, where civil rights workers were murdered, and he constantly made racist attacks on public assistance recipients.

Two and three are also lies.
You have the links to that, especially the part about racist attacks?

Old 08-18-2013, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I don't care what they say...there is one irrefutable fact that they'd better get used to:

Lyndon Johnson is THE MOST IMPORTANT political figure in the history of the Civil Rights movement with Earl Warren bringing up the rear.

He was the most courageous, most insightful, most willing to go against everything he was raised to believe, most prescient...etc

I don't care about the Democratic Party's position at the time. Republicans showed no more courage and willingness to do the right thing at the time outside of casting votes.
Johnson's famous quote. "Vote for this and those Ns will be voting Democrat for the next 200 years." Yes, Johnson was a shrude politician all right.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:01 AM

Lee Daniels' The Butler': Reagan Biographers Slam President's Portrayal - The Hollywood Reporter

Paul Kengor, author of two books about the 40th president, says some scenes could amount to "Hollywood malpractice" and "ideologically driven fiction."

Old 08-19-2013, 12:04 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,659,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
As a Texan it is pretty well recognized that LBJ was one of the most corrupt politicians we've ever seen.

He did not care about Blacks. He only cared about votes and elections, many of them he won by theft.

LBJ was a dishonest crook.

Obama walks in his shoes.
True, but Texans loved him and reelected him over and over. He always brought home the bacon. His legacy in and for Texas, far outstrips his championship of the great society, which so many conservatives and libertarians hate.

Old 08-19-2013, 12:14 AM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 19 days ago)

29,549 posts, read 16,533,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post

Let's help our friends at REAGAN: The Movie win the other box office race this weekend-Facebook LIKES! Wouldn't it be amazing if a movie coming out this weekend had fewer likes than one still being made? Send a message to the Liberals in Hollywood about what America really wants to see! LIKE their page and tell your loved ones to do so as well here: https://www.facebook.com/reaganmovie?fref=ts
So how did they dishonor Reagan ?

Old 08-19-2013, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
True, but Texans loved him and reelected him over and over. He always brought home the bacon. His legacy in and for Texas, far outstrips his championship of the great society, which so many conservatives and libertarians hate.
He is responsible for breaking up the black family. No man could be living in the home for the family to collect welfare so the man had to move out and you see today there are so few fathers in the black family it is falling apart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies