Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 06:21 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times

Advertisements

There are a lot of presumptions herein about insurance premiums 'skyrocketing'. Of course, only time will tell.

However, since some 30 million formerly uninsured people will begin purchasing health insurance, many of them (obviously not all) healthy, then one may speculate that insurance rates will, in the long run, come down. After all, the purpose of any insurance is to 'spread the risk'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2013, 06:22 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
You cannot legislate morals.
To do that you would remove all freedom of every individual.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:28 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
There are a lot of presumptions herein about insurance premiums 'skyrocketing'. Of course, only time will tell.

However, since some 30 million formerly uninsured people will begin purchasing health insurance, many of them (obviously not all) healthy, then one may speculate that insurance rates will, in the long run, come down. After all, the purpose of any insurance is to 'spread the risk'.

Prices don't move downward, when there is a lack of competition.
I take it you have never run a business.

I know what it feels like to have no competition. I can charge 4 times more for my services than other investigators in a saturated market, because I'm the only game in town, that specializes in my chosen field.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:30 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Now somebody explain his "Open borders, closed embassies" policies.
Did Obama transfer to Harvard from CLOWN college?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:33 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,198,692 times
Quote:
Even with ACA there will be 30 million still uninsured. Rates will NEVER come down.

I have yet to read or hear anywhere where anyone is paying less today then they did a year ago. That trend will continue.

Old 08-18-2013, 06:43 AM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Quote:

30 million will still be uninsured.....

Old 08-18-2013, 07:10 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:

The CBO is predicting less people to be insured post Obamacare than pre Obamacare. Thee rate of increase has been slowing since 2003, but most economists are attributing that to a slower economy. If we can encourage Americans to eat healthier and lead more active lifestyles there would be less demand which could also result in lower costs. Alternatively, we could encourage competition in the healthcare sector, but the lobbyists will fight that tooth and nail.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:25 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
If we can encourage Americans to eat healthier and lead more active lifestyles there would be less demand which could also result in lower costs.
This is simply ignorance that parades as wise words because so many are parroting it.

People incur something like 90 percent of their lifetime health expenses in the final year of their lives.

It doesn't matter how healthy they have been up to that point. They get something that will kill them and they desperately try to prevent their own deaths. And the medical industry is happy to relieve them and their insurance company or federal government of their money.

The only exception to this is people who are severely handicapped who require a lot of hospital or in home care from medical professionals for years on end. That might be 3 percent of the population, tops, even though we are paying monthly stipends to disability pretenders to sit on their couches and watch TV.

Recently, I've observed medical practices engage in the billing racket to double the services they bill insurers. If you come across this, report it to your insurance company and use the phrase 'billing racket'. All this BS has to stop.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:27 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
30 million will still be uninsured.....
Yes, and in an earlier post on this thread, I stated so. Everyone keeps repeating me.

However, some 30 million who are now uninsured, will be insured. Yet, some 30 million will remained uninsured. I know some are confused because the two numbers are alike.

From what I have read over the months, many states have seen an uptick in the number of health insurance companies wishing to do business in said state. It seems odd that many of you, who proclaim to be expert in running a business (I do not run a business) and 'competition', assume that 30 million more people seeking health insurance will result in a lack of competition by the insurance companies for those premiums.

I note a somewhat recent NY Times article about this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/31/he...says.html?_r=0

I have also read news about how some health insurance companies are raising rates now, apparently based on the assumption that their profit margins will decline beginning in 2014.

Yet, it is also possible that said companies, reading about how consumers are expecting rates to rise, are willing to fulfill that expectation, at least in the short-term.

I will note that for 25 years I have seen my premiums go up; it would have been odd if they went down over the years. I expect they shall continue to rise, since I am aging. Hopefully, those whom are currently uninsured, and who obtain new health insurance, will be able to obtain policies that they can afford (with some getting subsidized assistance).

I certainly do not proclaim to have 'answers' or to be able to accurately predict the future. However, I can predict the past: since the early 1970s, the cost for health care has exploded. The factors are many: negligence lawsuits against medical doctors and hospitals resulting in large verdicts (given by jurors; attorneys do not award damages); doctors and hospitals seeking insurance against such liability; insurance companies appalled by some of the verdicts and potential verdicts, and hiking premiums for doctors, hospitals, etc. More and more people obtaining health insurance, with doctors and hospitals figuring out that they can, and do, charge more and more, since the individuals are not 'out of pocket' that much. Thus a vicious cycle began. An elderly friend of my mother recently had some simple x-rays of her knee: $800.00 (which was for the x-rays themselves, not the doctors' opinion of what the x-rays showed).

I recall when it was normal for a person entering a hospital for open-heart surgery to spend, on average, six weeks in the hospital. Of course, it was expensive. Now even those requiring bypass surgery manage to go home in the matter of a couple of days, yet the costs are more than it was for a six-week stay (even taking into account the decline of the dollar).

Such is life.

Old 08-18-2013, 07:28 AM

5,756 posts, read 3,999,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Actually, the President does know how economics works.

He also knows how morality works.
Oh brother surely you jest?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies