Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 04:43 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Faith cannot be argued. Either you have it or you don't. That's all.
Oh, I believe there are forces in the universe that NO mere mortal can understand or explain, and that includes those who would stand before you with their hands out claiming they can.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:44 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Personally my belief is only agnostics are being truthful with themselves and therefore most mentally healthy.
To either believe or not believe in something which cannot be proved is hardly rational. The only rational position is that you do not know.
I don't know if there are unicorns, I don't know if there is a Flying Spaghetti Monster, I don't know if there are fairies, I don't know if the world is only 6,000 years old, I don't know if Vishnu exists, I don't know if Tlazolteotl exists, I don't know if there is a Santa Claus, I don't know if there are buxom Amazon Women on Mars, and I don't know if there is an all powerful God who can read my mind and punish me for wrong thoughts. OK, got it.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:45 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,681,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Personally my belief is only agnostics are being truthful with themselves and therefore most mentally healthy.
To either believe or not believe in something which cannot be proved is hardly rational. The only rational position is that you do not know.
Another rational position, is that one has no reason to believe. Nothing dishonest or untruthful about that.

Old 08-17-2013, 04:51 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
religion provides answers where there aren't any... this provides comfort to the mind I'm sure.. but there's something disastrous with just believing in something for the sake of peace of mind, rather than believing in something because it is so..
this life is full of unanswered questions...

I would challenge this study to look into those of religious minds who have discovered their religion to be false.. they would see a lot of mental illness and distress.

RfM :: Recovery Board

here's some examples of real mental suffering... due to the fallacy of religion and the consequences of it not being true

Old 08-17-2013, 05:03 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,289,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Another rational position, is that one has no reason to believe. Nothing dishonest or untruthful about that.
How do you know that? I can honestly say I have never experienced anything that would be evidence of any kind of superior being, but I can not say that anyone else has not.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:05 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
We're certainly smart enough to know better than to wait on a 2000 year old dead Jewish dude to return.

But fine..keep waiting dude. We atheists have better things to do.
Apparently you don't. You see atheists spend a lot of time ridiculing and trying to prove there is no God which they don't even believe in to begin with so what is the point?

I don't believe in ghosts or vampires or frankenstien and I don't spend time trying prove they aren't real. Atheists devote hours of time and write books trying to disprove God. Now why is that?

Old 08-17-2013, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Frequent poster KUchief is always online so unless he's on a smartphone he doesn't go to church and is as mentally ill as the rest of us and leading a short, selfish, stunted little life before approaching hopeless death in despair with his worthless corpse chucked into a trench.
I never claimed I did go to church. Try again. Attacking me does nothing to disprove the writers contention that atheists have some sort of mental disease. He lays it all out. You decide to attack me. Figures.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:07 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Apparently you don't. You see atheists spend a lot of time ridiculing and trying to prove there is no God which they don't even believe in to begin with so what is the point?

I don't believe in ghosts or vampires or frankenstien and I don't spend time trying prove they aren't real. Atheists devote hours of time and write books trying to disprove God. Now why is that?

For the same reason many devote hours of time writing books trying to prove God.

$$$$$

Old 08-17-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Atheists are like spoiled kids who hold their breath till they get their way. The are so stubborn you could put them in the middle of a forest and ask them where the trees are- and they would say there are no trees...There is no reasoning with them...and most of them chant the same rhetoric over and over again...and few have given anything any deep thought or consideration...They are mentally ill-----------They stand there and say I HAVE FINALLY FOUND THE ANSWER TO IT ALL - THERE IS NO GOD....They really do not know for sure but will stick to their belief no matter what- they crave security- There is no such thing as security when it comes to human existence.
I'm betting these same atheists have prayed to the porcelain God after a night of too much drinking.

Old 08-17-2013, 05:10 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
For the same reason many devote hours of time writing books trying to prove God.

$$$$$
wasn't the bible written like thousands of years ago? is christ getting royalties?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies