Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2013, 12:54 PM

1,999 posts, read 2,473,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Then only a few posts later....

Fascinating....
It had to do with his tone and diction not his beliefs. I pretty much stated that. As I was taught in philosophy courses to give a fair representation of the ideas of those you oppose.

But then you knew I pretty much stated that.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:04 PM

Quote:
But as I said before... I would not associate atheists with good people,
because only about 1% of them are, the 99% seem to be bad people and some of
them even are worse than bad an are evil.
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Got anything to back that up? You DO know that atheists aren't Satan worshippers, right?
LOL. I'd tell you what you provide me sufficient evidence with but I'll refrain from doing so. LOL.

Anyways... atheists aren't Satan worshipers (although many of them serve him well enough). I think I stated Satan worshipers are worse.

Atheism doesn't produce saints--no more than obesity produces NBA champs--but atheism does produce very bad people usually. Usually, but always. You have that good 1%.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:12 PM

1,028 posts, read 1,882,218 times
Countries with high suicide rate also have the highest rate of atheists.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
I have a low regard for people who whip their trouser snake out in public and wave it around at security guards. Then they have a nerve to preach about morals.

Now, who could that be?
Faith, not necessarily morals, although they overlap yes.

Yes, I'm a sinner in need of God's grace and mercy.

I understand that natalie and you subscribe to the proposition that neither of you do. I also understand that if either of you have children you would (or do) teach, in one way or another, your children those beliefs.

I subscribe to the belief that "whipping your trouser snake out" to taunt grown men approaching you with violent intent, is less a sin than total rejection of God, I also think violent combat between two grown men in say... the jungles of Southeast Asia, is less sinful than aborting (killing) your own child. But I'm sure you think differently.

Satanic worshipers, atheists, and serial killers all think they're good people in one way or another. Makes you wonder about the term "good."

Old 08-20-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Show me some data. Your opinion means nothing.
I tried to rep this. Best post I've read today.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:51 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jews for Jesus View Post
Countries with high suicide rate also have the highest rate of atheists.
Kuwait seems to have the lowest rate. Must be a great place to live.

I think that the highest rate of suicide bombers come from religious countires though.

Old 08-20-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
How many atheists do you know that you can give these percentages so accurately? Who are the bad people and what have they done?
It's anecdotal. Just my personal experience--mainly from online encounters. Like I said, in face-to-face life in most social settings I've not met or seen/heard many people discussing religion or politics, regardless of their religious beliefs or lack of religious beliefs.

But I trust my personal experiences. I think online discussion boards work in some way to remove our metaphorical masks we often wear in face-to-face social settings. Consequently, the dark hearts of atheists gets exposed.

Quote:
I didn't know my friend's father personally but I did know her. She was the victim of incest, raped several times by her father from the time she was 12 through age 18 when she left home for good. Her father was very religious and a church leader. Another friend of mine, a guy, I know was raped when he was 10 by a man from his parents church who was also a prominent church member.

I think the people who did these things to my friends when they were kids were very bad religious people. . I know of no atheists who have ever committed crimes like these. I am not saying there have never been atheists who haven't done anything like but since you do, I am asking you tell us about these evil people since you seem to know of 99% of them.
There are plenty of bad religious people. Maybe I'm bad? If I was part of the Mexican Mafia prison gang and I ran into Sicilian mobsters that murdered and extorted from people should I call them "good" just because I'm bad too? Just because I'm a Mexican Mafia member does that mean I can't call a spade a spade and acknowledge St. Bernedette was not only a better person than myself but a good and saintly woman even if she had some faults and sins?

And I never said 99% of atheists were evil. I said 99% of them are bad people, and that some of them are down right evil.

I know we live in a contemporary Western society that basically teaches us, "I am what I want to view myself as," as opposed to I am what I am.

Quote:
The bottom line is just because someone is an atheist doesn't mean they have no moral compass and will do terrible things to others just as believing in a deity doesn't mean someone has a moral compass that keeps them from doing harm. All you have to do is look around and see all the documented atrocities that have been done to man's fellow man in the name of religion as proof of that.

Believing in a deity never stopped anyone from being evil or doing evil deeds.
All mankind is inclined to virtue due to being created by God and in the image of God. This is Catholic belief. And all mankind is inclined to sin due to the inheritance of original sin that makes us vulnerable to vice/sin. This is Catholic teaching.

In other words... atheists will be inclined to virtue due their humanity.

But that same humanity lends them vulnerable to sin. Such as the sin of pride. Atheism does not turn out saints. If Christianity and atheism were boxing gyms, Christianity would be the former Kronks Gym of Detroit turning out Champions (saints) ever so often, and atheism would be an unknown gym turning out losers and no champs.

Traditional Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism... were Vince Lombardis' and Vince ran a hard program. And we don't like hard programs. Pretty much.

So, I see the product atheism turns out. From the Soviet Union to the Western atheists posting on internet discussion boards with hearts that are dead. It's not a few but almost all of them.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:02 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,466,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
Western atheists posting on internet discussion boards with hearts that are dead. It's not a few but almost all of them.
Show me some data. Your opinion means nothing.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
The misogyny of the Catholic Church goes way back... and you appear to be well and truly indoctrinated.

So who are your heroes?
I'm sure you and natalie would/will get on well. I pray to the Blessed Madonna, St. Bernadette, and St. Little Arab. You may call that misogynistic if you wish.

Maria Callas - Ave Maria - YouTube
Every photo of St Bernadette - YouTube

Mystics of the Church: Blessed Mariam Baouardy The Little Arab and Lily of Palestine

Quote:
Blessed Mariam Baouardy -The Lily of Palestine
Extraordinary Mystic, Stigmatic and Victim Soul (1846-1878)

Blessed Mariam Baouardy, known in religion as Blessed Mariam of Jesus Crucified, was born in Ibillin, located in the hill country of upper Galilee, Palestine. Her family originated in Damascus, Syria. They were Catholics of the Melkite Greek-Catholic Rite, descendants of the Archeparchy of Antioch, the place where the followers of Jesus were first called Christians.
And I have only one "hero" in this world. Of living people at least. And that is of Somaly Mam. A Cambodian and Buddhist. She's also not really formerly educated. I read her autobiography.

So, you can call me misogynistic for regarding her as my single hero in this world today if you wish.

Interview with Author/Activist Somaly Mam - YouTube

Old 08-20-2013, 02:12 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supine View Post
LOL. I'd tell you what you provide me sufficient evidence with but I'll refrain from doing so. LOL.

Anyways... atheists aren't Satan worshipers (although many of them serve him well enough). I think I stated Satan worshipers are worse.

Atheism doesn't produce saints--no more than obesity produces NBA champs--but atheism does produce very bad people usually. Usually, but always. You have that good 1%.
Impressive how you dodged her question about proof of that silly assertion. And no, data that you derive from your derriere doesn't count.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies