Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:53 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
better yet, take marriage out of the hands of government and put it into the hands of the civil courts and churches, then no more problem.
The court IS the government.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:09 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I want the leave policy to be equal. This is disparate treatment, which is specifically against Department of Defense policies. I have no issue with equality - this isn't equality.

No, it's not. So, maybe you would be happy if gay marriage were legal in all 50 states, so things could be equal? That way, gay service members would not need the extra time. Seriously, quit your whining.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The court IS the government.
And the court allows/permits the religious to perform ceremonies.
Religious act as agents of the court.

When people get divorced do they go to the church or the courts to dissolve their contract?
That answers the question.

I don't know why the concept is so difficult for some to understand.

Old 08-21-2013, 07:53 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,201,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
And the court allows/permits the religious to perform ceremonies.
Religious act as agents of the court.

When people get divorced do they go to the church or the courts to dissolve their contract?
That answers the question.

I don't know why the concept is so difficult for some to understand.
Exactly, because a marriage in this country is a legal contract. I don't understand why people don't get that. You can add a religious ceremony (or any kind of meaningful ceremony that you like) to your marriage by getting married in a church, or by doing a personal ceremony under a tree in a park, but you aren't legally married without a signed marriage license (a contract). Depending on the state, the government allows ordained ministers (and sometimes others) to legally sign marriage certificates, as well as officers of the court like a justice of the peace, a clerk of the circuit court, or a judge. Without the signed license, you aren't married. There is no requirement for a religious ceremony to get married, or for an ordained minister to marry you--people get married every day at court houses with a minimum of fanfare. We have friends who were married by a local judge (a friend) in their backyard, surrounded by friends and family. They could have done the ceremony at home without the judge, and later gone to the courthouse to sign the papers--the marriage license is what makes it legal, and not the ceremony.

Old 08-21-2013, 09:36 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
You're not understanding. It's not PAST inequality. It's PRESENT inequality.

Imagine interracial marriage were still illegal in certain states, you'd still have a problem giving people time to TRAVEL where they have to out of NECESSITY to be able to get married in any capacity? Really?

Crocodile tears and concern trolling.
They can do that on a weekend. It doesn't take 10 days.

You're just doing the same thing Sandra Fluke did when she testified that birth control was going to cost her $3,000 during her time at school.

Completely exaggerating something to try to make a social problem where there isn't one.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:49 AM

20,125 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
No, it's not. So, maybe you would be happy if gay marriage were legal in all 50 states, so things could be equal? That way, gay service members would not need the extra time. Seriously, quit your whining.
I have no issue with that. None. What I have an issue with is designating a special leave that can only be used for one demographic group. That is desperate treatment, which is specifically not allowed by DoD policy. Have the same policy - just word it differently so it does not apply to only one group. That is ALL I am asking. I seriously do not get how people say "I want to end discrimination against group A so I think the best solution is to discriminate against group B, even though there is a perfectly good solution that would discriminate against neither and fix the problem". That's what you're all arguing.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:48 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
That wasn't your only claim though, you also said you didn't hint, infer, or clue it either. Your words, not mine. You seem to have a problem having ownership of your own words and ideas.

To any person reading your posts it is clear that you advocate special privledges for homosexual service members. You appear to believe this is due to being owed it for past inequality. I don't agree with that philosophy, not even for gender or race which is to my benefit to embrace, so it should come as no surprise that I feel that way about sexual orientation too, which doesn't impact me. I have less issue with your belief that it is okay than your refusal to acknowledge that that is what you are advocating. Your deliberate dishonesty about your own words is very telling.
TL;DR. Wrong. I never specifically said I wanted homosexuals to get all kinds of perks or to be treated differently. If you ever decided to use your brain for once, you'd realize this policy makes a lot of sense.

Where can heterosexuals get married? Anywhere in the United States.

Where can homosexuals get married? Only in about 20 or so states of the Union.

Your crocodile tears do not fool me.

Old 08-21-2013, 11:55 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,393,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
They can do that on a weekend. It doesn't take 10 days.

You're just doing the same thing Sandra Fluke did when she testified that birth control was going to cost her $3,000 during her time at school.

Completely exaggerating something to try to make a social problem where there isn't one.

That's why the policy provides UP TO 10 days, on a case-by-case basis.

Because apparently it's already entirely reasonable to expect gay couples to foot the expense of interstate travel so they can get married in the first place, you also think they should be quick about it.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
They'll also need 10 days to get divorced as well

Old 08-21-2013, 01:11 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,695,172 times
That's fine, I have no problem with them serving in the military or getting some benefits. But why can't gay people just keep it to themselves? Why do they have to let everyone know they are gay? It's like they want everyone to give them attention and celebrate it.

Like who cares? Get over yourselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies