Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 05:34 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Obviously you missed the point or it was beyond you to comprehend. If they could fly 3,000 miles and be back to work on day-four, in-country service members could do the same although many would have less far to fly.

You're letting your bias show. Not attractive!
Or they can't afford to fly and they have to drive. If you're in the south or the high plains, it could be a couple of day drive (or more) just to get to a state that will marry you.

Old 08-19-2013, 05:45 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,230,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
My husband is military. I know all about leave, all about everyone pretty much having to take leave to travel to a home state to get married, all about weddings getting postponed because leave was canceled for mission needs. More service members need to travel to get married than don't. Why are only homosexual service members getting free leave for this?
Why is it a big deal to you? Aren't the 1,000+ benefits of being married good enough for you? Is it really that major of an issue that you balk at "dem gays" getting some leverage over heterosexuals for once?

Nothing like a military wife complaining about an issue that has absolutely ZERO to do with her.

How quaint.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:29 PM

50 posts, read 63,543 times
It's good with me!

Opposite sex partners don't have to travel halfway across the country to get married because they can do it wherever they are. The same thing isn't true for same sex partners.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:56 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post
Why is it a big deal to you? Aren't the 1,000+ benefits of being married good enough for you? Is it really that major of an issue that you balk at "dem gays" getting some leverage over heterosexuals for once?

Nothing like a military wife complaining about an issue that has absolutely ZERO to do with her.

How quaint.
I want equality to mean just that. If they had come out and said "Service members who wish to enter into what is a legal marriage in an American state, but that is not legal at their current duty station, are authorized to take up to 10 day uncharged leave to travel to a state that permits that marriage," - which would have accomplished their goal without granting special privileges - I would have no comment about this, and indeed can see its merit. You just don't get it. Any time you give rights, privileges and/or benefits based on group membership, that is denied/not offered to other groups, it is wrong. Either you believe in equality or you don't. I do - for ALL groups. You are only interested in what benefits your chosen group.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:42 PM

Quote:
I want equality to mean just that. If they had come out and said "Service members who wish to enter into what is a legal marriage in an American state, but that is not legal at their current duty station, are authorized to take up to 10 day uncharged leave to travel to a state that permits that marriage," - which would have accomplished their goal without granting special privileges - I would have no comment about this, and indeed can see its merit. You just don't get it. Any time you give rights, privileges and/or benefits based on group membership, that is denied/not offered to other groups, it is wrong. Either you believe in equality or you don't. I do - for ALL groups. You are only interested in what benefits your chosen group.
So basically you're crying because heterosexuals don't get 10 free days of leave despite having all sorts of benefits and other opportunities just because they're straight.

Seriously, stop it with the crocodile tears. It's embarrassing.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,492,286 times
Quote:
Probably the biggest impetus for people changing their views on homosexuality is loving someone who it turns out is a homosexual. People may struggle with their views, but their desire for someone they love to be happy generally will win out.
Very true and well said. The converse and biggest anti-impetus is people trying to ram acceptance down our throats, being in our face about it and not permitting and according us the courtesy of coming around and accepting at our own paces and within our comfort zones. They really do work against themselves and the entire reality. What fools.

I would venture a guess that most of us parents of gay children do accept them with open arms, and their partners as well, in a relatively short period of time. With my wife, not my daughter's mother, it was instant. I took a bit longer - less than a month of soul-searching; more like a week or two.

So shoot me!

Old 08-19-2013, 07:52 PM

1,730 posts, read 1,363,025 times
Quote:
Good on the military to do this. Heterosexuals have 50 states they can get married as opposed to the 20 that homosexuals have.

I'm sure heterosexuals in the military can get by without having 10 uncharged days of leave. You do understand that every single military member only gets 1.5 days of leave a month don't you?

Seriously, good the military for doing this.
Its 2.5 but you've made a point. I don't agree though.

Old 08-19-2013, 07:56 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:
So basically you're crying because heterosexuals don't get 10 free days of leave despite having all sorts of benefits and other opportunities just because they're straight.

Seriously, stop it with the crocodile tears. It's embarrassing.
I'm not crying, I am merely saying, as you have made abundantly clear, that you aren't interested in equality. You are interested in privileges for your chosen group and the h*ll with anyone else.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:11 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,297,614 times
I'm all for gay rights and have defended their rights both here in this forum and in person at rally's and petitions, but I want LGBT individuals to have "EQUAL RIGHTS" with heterosexual couples. Not more rights.
Also, I sort of debate the veracity of this article. I think it might be a reach.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
I'm not crying, I am merely saying, as you have made abundantly clear, that you aren't interested in equality. You are interested in privileges for your chosen group and the h*ll with anyone else.
Seriously how is ONE...ONE privilege that the military of all places giving to homosexuals to get married and doing so with 10 uncharged days of leave unequal or unfair to heterosexuals?

You can assume all you want, but you're not fooling me. You're just upset and are crying over the fact that homosexuals get a neat little perk that won't be taken advantage of on a common basis because guess what? Leave, no matter what, still has to be approved by the CO. That's what your forgetting.

Get the hell off your high horse and stop it with the crocodile tears.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies