Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 02:26 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Uh no.

The taxes are horrible. Crime in certain areas is beyond acceptable. I won't dispute your list. I'm no fan of capitalism but that doesn't mean I didn't learn how it works. It's foolish to think the good times are gonna roll forever for certain demographics.
If you're not a fan of capitalism then I doubt you know how it works. Virtually everyone who says they don't like capitalism is unable to accurately describe it - ie, they don't understand it.

You either don't understand it or you're an authoritarian. It's impossible to support freedom and not like capitalism. It's oxymoronic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 08:52 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,484,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Exactly. That shows 5 under construction, 12 preparing to start construction, and 60 online. That's a 28% increase in the total number of power plants despite the right wing claims that no new power plants get built in California. My, my... It seems reality has once again destroyed the fact free spin of our right wing loons.
Name calling: The last-gasp bastion of the unintelligent and irrelevant. That particularly seems to pertain for those who cant think 4 themselves and let their party and union do it for them. Pitiful!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:03 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Name calling: The last-gasp bastion of the unintelligent and irrelevant. That particularly seems to pertain for those who cant think 4 themselves and let their party and union do it for them. Pitiful!
It matters not, to t4y, as it has been pointed out many times. The unabashed hypocrites, name calling extremists, and line in the sand partisans, have nothing on this poster. You should save your breath, as the only thing you'll get, in return for your facts, are deflections.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:15 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,790,545 times
Originally Posted by steven_h
Cali is proof that when enough people either work for the state, or depend on it, they vote for the same cronies
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Well, as a lowly leech should I have not moved out here to take a job?

For the record: I have never voted for a D or R in my life.
If this is the case, why would you take my statement as if it were directed at you? Obviously, what I said was meant for the social leeches and crony capitalists that are so pervasive in my state. To cherry pick a tiny snippet from the entire post is disingenuous at best.

For the record, I've voted for Republicans just to try and get some balance. To anyone but a Californian that would be the perfect example of doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. In our case, it's challenging the status quo; an uphill fight against the true insanity.

When voting with your ballots no longer has any hope, one must vote with his feet. This is why California is exchanging the productive class, for the welfare class. Again, it is destined for bankruptcy and the only thing keeping it afloat is creative book keeping, and the vision of higher taxation.

I'm glad you have a good job here... unfortunately, you are the exception rather than the rule.

Old 08-26-2013, 09:34 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
There are lots of power plants being built in California.
Status of All Projects
I see only four on that site as marked "under construction." Are there more?

Old 08-26-2013, 09:43 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,846,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Originally Posted by steven_h
Cali is proof that when enough people either work for the state, or depend on it, they vote for the same cronies

If this is the case, why would you take my statement as if it were directed at you? Obviously, what I said was meant for the social leeches and crony capitalists that are so pervasive in my state. To cherry pick a tiny snippet from the entire post is disingenuous at best.

For the record, I've voted for Republicans just to try and get some balance. To anyone but a Californian that would be the perfect example of doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. In our case, it's challenging the status quo; an uphill fight against the true insanity.

When voting with your ballots no longer has any hope, one must vote with his feet. This is why California is exchanging the productive class, for the welfare class. Again, it is destined for bankruptcy and the only thing keeping afloat is creative book keeping, and a vision of higher taxation.

I'm glad you have a good job here... unfortunately, you are the exception rather than the rule.
I find it odd that in one post that you complain about "name calling extremists" then in the next you use language like "social leeches and crony capitalists".

In a prior post you wrote "Liberals have had a death grip on my state for 3-4 decades, so they are 100% to blame for our condition". I would point out that Republicans have won state wide elections many times in the last 3-4 decades. As an example, look at the Governors

Reagan (R), 67-75
Brown (D), 75-83
Deukmejian (R), 83-91
Wilson (R), 91-99
Davis (D), 99-03
Schwarznegger (R), 03-11
Brown (D), 11-13

Excluding Reagan, since only part of his term was in the last 40 years, and rounding for incomplete years that would be 24 years Republican and 15 Democratic.

I'm not saying that Democrats don't share the responsibility, but Democrats have not been in total control of the state for 3-4 decades.

I would also point out that some like to knock Brown using derogatory terms, but there has been much improvement in the Budget under his governorship and a Brown sponsored pension reform bill was passed last year.

Gov. Brown signs California pension reform bill - San Jose Mercury News

Old 08-26-2013, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I see only four on that site as marked "under construction." Are there more?
All the plants on the list have been added since the CA energy shortage: 60 plants brought online, 4 under construction, 12 in the planning/pre-construction phase, 2 on-Hold, 10 under review, 2 announced. Only 4 plants have been denied and 14 have had their license expire.

The point being that power plants are being built in CA, despite the environmental restrictions. Prior to the energy deregulation there had been an oversupply of energy, which reduces the demand for new plants.

One of reasons that deregulation failed was because of changes to the energy market which led to the shortages. A significant portion of the oversupply came from out of state hydro power that was no longer available.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:24 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I'm not saying that Democrats don't share the responsibility, but Democrats have not been in total control of the state for 3-4 decades.
And the Democratic supermajority in the Assembly has only existed for a year. I think we can all agree that California's budget problems predate 2012. Prior to that all budget decisions could be -- and often were -- blocked by Republicans, since there was a 60% rule. California had the same sort of political gridlock that currently exists in Washington.

If no Republican currently holds statewide office, maybe it's not the electorate's fault -- maybe it's the GOP's fault for being unable to find and run moderate candidates that appeal to all Californians, not just the ones in Orange County, the Central Valley, and the north state. The composition of the electorate has not substantially changed since Schwarzenegger was elected Governator (twice). But the GOP sure has.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:19 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,572,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Wow, thank God we still lead in something positive.

We also lead in:
-Welfare recipients - we are 27% of the burden yet only 10% of the population.
-Illegal aliens - we have more than any other state. They have held down wages in construction and many of the trades.
- Bankrupt cities - Stockton, Hayward, San Bernardino, and as many as 20 more to follow.
- Unfunded liabilities - with more than $200 BILLION owed for pensions alone
- We have higher than average unemployment at nearly 9% (really 16% counting underemployed)
- we have one of the highest poverty rates at 24%

this is just off the top of my head.

Fail? Care to try again?
You forgot to mention CA has now dropped to the second or third from the bottom in education. It was at the top in the fifties and sixties. Consequences from massive influx of illegals.

Old 08-26-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
You forgot to mention CA has now dropped to the second or third from the bottom in education. It was at the top in the fifties and sixties. Consequences from massive influx of illegals.
That is what happens when you cut back on Education spending. CA is near the bottom in terms of spending on Education.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies