Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What restrictions on voting do you favor?
Voter ID laws 68 77.27%
Civic literacy 19 21.59%
Literacy test 20 22.73%
IQ test 10 11.36%
Other 24 27.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 04:30 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,000,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You must be male, own land and at least 3 slaves.
That's not in the Constitution. As long as sex or race isn't a factor, the voting age is not more than 18, and no poll tax is levied the states can do whatever they please with voting. As far as I know I don't think a three-slave requirement was ever used by any state at any time in history - sure, there were property restrictions, but there were plenty of property owners didn't have any slaves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
As to women voting, I have no objection if they would accept equal civic duties - including military service (17-45). But since they do not, they have a higher status at law, and that is anything but "equal."
In 2013, women serve in the military on an equal footing with men, so I assume you mean the Selective Service requirement, which only targets men. If you eliminate Selective Service, civic duties are equal. Problem solved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 05:46 PM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
In 2013, women serve in the military on an equal footing with men, so I assume you mean the Selective Service requirement, which only targets men. If you eliminate Selective Service, civic duties are equal. Problem solved.
You somehow edited in my name as the author of the quote you're answering, and I didn't say it.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:49 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Voter ID is the only one I accept. But make it possible for those who don't have any to get it free of charge for a two month period preceding the election. Allow student ID.

Old 08-26-2013, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The issue is the poor wouldn't be able to vote. If they are homeless they can't submit absentee ballots and if they don't have a car and the nearest polling location is further than say two miles away, they aren't going to be able vote that way. It's not like not having ID is their only problem with voting.

As for women, that is a different issue that I do not have an answer for.
According to the Brennan Center for Justice study that I linked to, 12% of American citizens of legal voting age, who make under $25K a year, don't have a birth certificate or other ID readily available to get the ID they would need to vote. As you've stated, transportation is an issue if you live in an area without public transport, and some states are trying to move voting sites to locations that are very difficult to access unless you have a car (to eliminate students and the poor), but the problem goes way beyond that. Even if they get to the polls, tens of millions of people don't have the documents needed to get an ID to vote. These people are American citizens, and fully and legally eligible voters.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:15 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,813,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Yeah lets leave the fate of our great nation in the hands of illegals to fudge it up even worse than it already is that would be cool.
See they're totally okay with that because illegals vote Democrat. So voter ID doesn't help their candidates win.

Old 08-27-2013, 08:42 AM

2,635 posts, read 3,511,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
See they're totally okay with that because illegals vote Democrat. So voter ID doesn't help their candidates win.
But most illegals work for Republicans. I could imagine a boss "convincing" his hired hands to "votar por el Republicano".

Old 08-27-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
So show some documentation that proves that illegals vote in any kind of numbers, beyond one or two instances--a handful of votes nationwide. You're proposing a policy that would keep tens of millions of American citizens from voting (who are largely poor, black or brown) because of a handful of votes, in addition to a huge percentage of women who have no proof of citizenship in their current name. This has nothing to do with people here illegally voting, and everything to do with trying to suppress the vote among minorities, the poor, and women.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:48 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
None. Why in the world would you restrict voting?

To prevent non-citizens from voting. or are you one of those progressives who loves it when illegals and dead people vote because they overwhelmingly vote Democrat?

Old 08-27-2013, 09:49 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
So show some documentation that proves that illegals vote in any kind of numbers, beyond one or two instances--a handful of votes nationwide. You're proposing a policy that would keep tens of millions of American citizens from voting (who are largely poor, black or brown) because of a handful of votes, in addition to a huge percentage of women who have no proof of citizenship in their current name. This has nothing to do with people here illegally voting, and everything to do with trying to suppress the vote among minorities, the poor, and women.

Save your BS leftist propaganda for someone who'll actually believe it.

Old 08-27-2013, 10:33 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,082,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
IQ Test. Or just use your high school SAT score.
Would you let the ones with HIGHER IQ/SAT scores vote or lower scores?

That would be unfair to one party or the other..if only HIGH scores could vote,the republican party would disappear and if only the LOW scores could vote then the repubs would own every office...you should probably think that through a little more in the interest of fairness to all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies