Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 02:38 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post

Ask jmqueen about all of the senseless violence in that goes on daily in inner cities where some of the gun laws tend to be the strictest. Why is that?
Another excellent NRA deflection technique! Awesome, at least I know you can cut and paste!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 02:42 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Another excellent NRA deflection technique! Awesome, at least I know you can cut and paste!

In other words, you can't or refuse to answer the question so you then resort to your typical leftist playbook to make ASSumptions don't you? Here is a little secret... I'm NOT an NRA member, so once again as with the majority of your arguments... you fail.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:44 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Heh heh. Is this the new NRA deflection technique? That's twice on this thread that someone has used it in response to me. Entertaining.
Yeah I'm the head of the NRA and deflecting your posts about "massacres".
3 people shot is NOT a massacre IMO but it is in yours.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:46 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
In other words, you can't or refuse to answer the question so you then resort to your typical leftist playbook to make ASSumptions don't you? Here is a little secret... I'm NOT an NRA member, so once again as with the majority of your arguments... you fail.
If we're not against guns and for all out gun bans then we're members of the NRA.
It's black and white with extremists.

Old 08-26-2013, 02:49 PM

15,896 posts, read 11,984,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
If we're not against guns and for all out gun bans then we're members of the NRA.
It's black and white with extremists.

Kind of like the hard core progressive mantra of anyone who doesn't fall in line with the collective is automatically a republican, racist, religous nut, or homophobe. I do see a pattern here.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:05 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You didnt use shootings you used massacres.
My bad. A gun nut has to kill four people for it to be considered a mass killing by the FBI.

I feel so much better.

Old 08-26-2013, 03:32 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,689,672 times
Quote:
My bad. A gun nut has to kill four people for it to be considered a mass killing by the FBI.

I feel so much better.
FYI your President has killed more innocent civilians than all the gun nuts put together since 2009.

No hypocrisy there back at cha.

Old 08-26-2013, 04:23 PM

8,104 posts, read 3,958,371 times
We did not have School Shooting Drills when I was growing up in the 80's and I can't find any data to show when they started either.

These drills are another part and extension of the big police state. Keep all the citizens afraid under the illusion of safety with more loss of freedoms.

A little history on school shootings is appropriate and it is not a complete list either.
There are more listed recently in this list not because it has increased, but because of the internet and ability to gather the data more easily rather than having to go through every cities microfiche at the public library.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the early 80's, In Houston, Texas, where I was living, I remember a shooting at Milby High School where a student shot a teacher and threatened others before turning it on himself. There was also a couple other incidents in schools I remember growing up in Houston which are not on the list either.

There has almost been a school shooting every year since the 1880's
Here are some of the Shootings Listed

April 24, 1890: Brazil, Indiana, While the pupils of the Meridian Street School were at play, Ben Corbery drew a revolver and shot Cora Brubach, aged 10, seriously wounding her in the face. The reason for the assault was that the girl had informed the teacher of Ben's misconduct.[16]

January 20, 1891: Syracuse, New York, In an abusive rage, Wilber F. Baker went to the Bassett Street School where his wife was teaching, entered the classroom and shot her five times, killing her. He was caught by police after a 40 mile chase.[1

March 30, 1891: Liberty, Mississippi, During a school exhibition and concert given at the Parson Hill schoolhouse, just as the performances were starting in front of a large mixed audience of black people and white people, crowded with teachers, pupils, and spectators, a double barreled shotgun, heavily charged with shot, was fired into the assemblage by an unknown assailant. 14 people were wounded, some seriously.[19

April 9, 1891: Newburgh, New York, James Ferguson, 70, fired a shotgun at a group of students in the playground of St. Mary's Parochial School, causing minor injuries to several of the students.[20]

October 10, 1892: At Kansas University, two students, E. Higgins and Jack Craycroft, were shot as they were walking back to their dorm rooms from practicing football at the athletic field by a double barreled shotgun as they passed the home of law student, Fred Basset. Basset said they were warned not to trespass on his farm as students so frequently did.[21]

August 18, 1909: Bakersfield, California, A group of six young men after dove hunting, deliberately shot out the glass in the doors and windows of the Fruitvale School, then shot at the nearby residence of A. J. Hunter, narrowly missing several children in the rear yard.[51]

January 12, 1910: New York City, New York, "A black bearded maniac drew an automatic pistol" and fired five shots into a crowd of the Harlem School boys. The kids were taunting him, so he shot into the crowd of children. Robert Lomas, age 6, was hit in the heart and died instantly, Arthur Shively also age 6 was shot through the left lung and critically wounded.[54]

January 17, 1913: Honolulu, Hawaii, While the children in the schoolhouse were quietly seated, Manuel Fernandez entered the classroom and shot his wife, the teacher, Johanna Fernandez killing her with a shotgun. Seven of the children were hit by the scattering buckshot, dangerously wounding one. He then shot and killed himself. Jealousy is quoted as the motive.[61]

May 18, 1927: Bath, Michigan, Bath School Disaster School treasurer Andrew Kehoe, after killing his wife and destroying his house and farm, blew up the Bath Consolidated School by detonating dynamite in the basement of the school, killing 45 people, mostly children. He then pulled up to the school in his car, then set off a bomb, killing himself and four others. This is the deadliest mass murder at a school in United States history and the world's first suicide bombing.[67]

The list goes on and on with hundreds of examples.
This is nothing new.
What is new is our reaction to it.

Also, it does not seem what they doing to prevent these is working.

Last edited by J746NEW; 08-26-2013 at 04:38 PM..

Old 08-26-2013, 08:11 PM

15,070 posts, read 8,629,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
No--we were just all led to believe that it was a very real possibility that we'd have a nuclear bomb dropped on us and that we'd all die in a fiery flash, UNLESS our parents dug out fallout shelters that could keep us alive for years with filtered air and stored provisions.

The good old days weren't so great. Things always seem nicer in memory.

They're not doing these drills while school is in session, in school, with children. If students are involved, they're there by choice and they know they're participating in a drill. It's a way to help law enforcement walk through possible scenarios. I think you all are overreacting.
That is absolutely not true ... read the damned article ... and also research the issue before making such false claims.

There have been unannounced drills with swatt teams entering schools and pointing weapons at children ... young children ... frightened to the point of soiling themselves!!!!

I'm glad I don't have kids today .....I swear, if someone did this crap to my children, I'd hunt their arses down, and I'm am not joking one bit ... I would not be able to restrain myself.

Old 09-10-2013, 02:58 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
We did not have School Shooting Drills when I was growing up in the 80's and I can't find any data to show when they started either.

These drills are another part and extension of the big police state. Keep all the citizens afraid under the illusion of safety with more loss of freedoms.

A little history on school shootings is appropriate and it is not a complete list either.
There are more listed recently in this list not because it has increased, but because of the internet and ability to gather the data more easily rather than having to go through every cities microfiche at the public library.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In the early 80's, In Houston, Texas, where I was living, I remember a shooting at Milby High School where a student shot a teacher and threatened others before turning it on himself. There was also a couple other incidents in schools I remember growing up in Houston which are not on the list either.

There has almost been a school shooting every year since the 1880's
Here are some of the Shootings Listed

April 24, 1890: Brazil, Indiana, While the pupils of the Meridian Street School were at play, Ben Corbery drew a revolver and shot Cora Brubach, aged 10, seriously wounding her in the face. The reason for the assault was that the girl had informed the teacher of Ben's misconduct.[16]

January 20, 1891: Syracuse, New York, In an abusive rage, Wilber F. Baker went to the Bassett Street School where his wife was teaching, entered the classroom and shot her five times, killing her. He was caught by police after a 40 mile chase.[1

March 30, 1891: Liberty, Mississippi, During a school exhibition and concert given at the Parson Hill schoolhouse, just as the performances were starting in front of a large mixed audience of black people and white people, crowded with teachers, pupils, and spectators, a double barreled shotgun, heavily charged with shot, was fired into the assemblage by an unknown assailant. 14 people were wounded, some seriously.[19

April 9, 1891: Newburgh, New York, James Ferguson, 70, fired a shotgun at a group of students in the playground of St. Mary's Parochial School, causing minor injuries to several of the students.[20]

October 10, 1892: At Kansas University, two students, E. Higgins and Jack Craycroft, were shot as they were walking back to their dorm rooms from practicing football at the athletic field by a double barreled shotgun as they passed the home of law student, Fred Basset. Basset said they were warned not to trespass on his farm as students so frequently did.[21]

August 18, 1909: Bakersfield, California, A group of six young men after dove hunting, deliberately shot out the glass in the doors and windows of the Fruitvale School, then shot at the nearby residence of A. J. Hunter, narrowly missing several children in the rear yard.[51]

January 12, 1910: New York City, New York, "A black bearded maniac drew an automatic pistol" and fired five shots into a crowd of the Harlem School boys. The kids were taunting him, so he shot into the crowd of children. Robert Lomas, age 6, was hit in the heart and died instantly, Arthur Shively also age 6 was shot through the left lung and critically wounded.[54]

January 17, 1913: Honolulu, Hawaii, While the children in the schoolhouse were quietly seated, Manuel Fernandez entered the classroom and shot his wife, the teacher, Johanna Fernandez killing her with a shotgun. Seven of the children were hit by the scattering buckshot, dangerously wounding one. He then shot and killed himself. Jealousy is quoted as the motive.[61]

May 18, 1927: Bath, Michigan, Bath School Disaster School treasurer Andrew Kehoe, after killing his wife and destroying his house and farm, blew up the Bath Consolidated School by detonating dynamite in the basement of the school, killing 45 people, mostly children. He then pulled up to the school in his car, then set off a bomb, killing himself and four others. This is the deadliest mass murder at a school in United States history and the world's first suicide bombing.[67]

The list goes on and on with hundreds of examples.
This is nothing new.
What is new is our reaction to it.

Also, it does not seem what they doing to prevent these is working.

Good post.

The Columbine witnesses saw more than two perpetrators. Its sad we dont have real journalists anymore in the US who report truths, and are instead fed information.

I dont see how instilling mortal fear into kids is supposed to improve things, psychologically speaking.

The drills seem almost to be sociopathic programming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies