Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,919,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I realize that gun control reduces violent crime, and I realize that a society does not require handguns or high capacity magazine fed weapons to protect it'self from tyranny; however, our society is like no other on earth, as there is simply no way to take these weapons off the streets at this point, which is why I often carry a concealed pistol. I can tell you that rational thinking Gun owners like myself are the minority. Most of the people I know that legally carry a firearm on them are no smarter than the criminals they're protecting themselves from. Most gun enthusiasts are in fact "stupid."
How else will the citizen protect themselves from tyranny? I want the same weapons as law enforcement and standard military infantry.

You are using your life experience to stereotype every gun owner. That's great. I treat everyone individually and don't make any judgement until I know the person or they do something to prove me wrong. Even then, most people can be taught.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2013, 12:02 PM

472 posts, read 741,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Drunk people might be a different story legally speaking. I don't think you would get away with shooting a confused drunk person breaking into your home, especially if you told the police on the phone that he was drunk. Would be enough to push him around a bit till he falls

I agree, stuff you buy from the money you really earned yourself gives you a sense of pride that a gift or loot can't give you -- the loot part I can only speculate on, of course
Apparently you come in contact with drunk people on a regular basis. Drunks can be the most violent people with you would want to deal with.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:22 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,778,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
At the time, it may have been. Now, the law is on my side. As soon as he enters the door or window, it is unlawful and I can assume he is there to commit harm to me and my family. I can legally respond with deadly force.
That is the problem. The goal should be to merely incapacitate someone like that, not kill them.
I would have a poor conscience till the end of my life if I killed a drunk person, even if they broke into my home. I would not have a poor conscience if I were responsible for the death of a serial killer, though. But that does not mean I would actually and deliberately want to kill one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedsnake View Post
Apparently you come in contact with drunk people on a regular basis. Drunks can be the most violent people with you would want to deal with.
Tell me about it, my father was an alcoholic

Old 08-28-2013, 12:38 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
2nd grade, show & tell, had me talking about all the things I killed and ate with my .22 single shot, as the kids in the circle passed it around.(unloaded)

Old 08-28-2013, 12:43 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,678,596 times
Quote:
That is the problem. The goal should be to merely incapacitate someone like that, not kill them.
I would have a poor conscience till the end of my life if I killed a drunk person, even if they broke into my home. I would not have a poor conscience if I were responsible for the death of a serial killer, though. But that does not mean I would actually and deliberately want to kill one.

Unfortunately, here in America, we only shoot to kill, if for no other reason than to avoid a lawsuit.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:44 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,710,540 times
Quote:

Now I totally understand, why and how you were raised to be a victim.
I'm so glad I taught my daughter about respect and being able to defend herself, in all situations and she is just now 16.

Old 08-28-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Now I totally understand, why and how you were raised to be a victim.
I'm so glad I taught my daughter about respect and being able to defend herself, in all situations and she is just now 16.
I'm not a victim at all. Luckily I was raised mainly by my wonderful mother and by myself

Old 08-28-2013, 01:00 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,919,016 times
Quote:
I don't have time to ask the person whether or not they are there to sleep it off on friend's couch or he's come to collect on a bad drug debt by spilling blood. This guys was screaming "LET ME IN, JOE!!!!" and beating on the door with his fists. Was it frustration that he though his friend had left him in the cold or was it anger?

Do I shoot him in the leg? I am 10 feet from him. I'm not aiming at a body part that is 6 inches wide. I'm aiming center mass. Check out Self Defense: Shooting From Retention - YouTube You don't see arms or legs on the targets. You can go to any reputable training center and they all have these targets. Look at the holes. There's no shooting in the shoulder. I have taken both handgun and rifle classes like this.

Old 08-28-2013, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
I don't have time to ask the person whether or not they are there to sleep it off on friend's couch or he's come to collect on a bad drug debt by spilling blood. This guys was screaming "LET ME IN, JOE!!!!" and beating on the door with his fists. Was it frustration that he though his friend had left him in the cold or was it anger?

Do I shoot him in the leg? I am 10 feet from him. I'm not aiming at a body part that is 6 inches wide. I'm aiming center mass. Check out Self Defense: Shooting From Retention - YouTube You don't see arms or legs on the targets. You can go to any reputable training center and they all have these targets. Look at the holes. There's no shooting in the shoulder. I have taken both handgun and rifle classes like this.
Well, judging from what you describe, you would probably go to jail if you shot such a drunk person over here...
A normal sober male can incapacitate a drunk guy in some other way. If necessary you hit him over the head with a pan

I hate alcohol, tends to bring out the worst in people

Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,529,103 times
Quote:
Well, judging from what you describe, you would probably go to jail if you shot such a drunk person over here...
A normal sober male can incapacitate a drunk guy in some other way. If necessary you hit him over the head with a pan

I hate alcohol, tends to bring out the worst in people
But you must love firearms considering you've taken the time on them to do 30 posts in this thread. I'd label that an obsession! If I didn't know any better I'd say Neuling just likes mewling.

By the way, drunks can be quite unpredictable and hitting them with a pan requires getting within reach of them which isn't too bright. Center of mass is absolutely the correct aiming point. Remember, a shot that misses has to stop somewhere. If the individual broke into my home, we have a Castle Doctrine to protect our interests if I shoot him which I likely will. I'm not going to ask him if he's drunk or high on drugs first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies