Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2013, 09:00 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I stand corrected. Govt has started an investigation. "In a news release Wednesday (i.e. Aug 14 2013), the agency said it will investigate whether Sweet Cakes violated the Oregon Equality Act of 2007, which states that people cannot be denied service based on sexual orientation. The law provides an exemption for schools and religious groups, but not for private businesses, the release noted". Same-sex couple files complaint against Gresham bakery | KOIN.com

This sounded like a lawsuit waiting to happen, although I think I understand the difference between a BOLI Complaint and Court Complaint.

The doctrine of Public Accommodations and its relevant cases are pretty extensive. A private party obtaining a Quote / Bid from a private Business, entering into a single Contract to build and deliver a single, specific, and unique product, with agreed-upon qualities, features, that are pertinent only to the Order in question -- that is clearly a contract/ private accommodation. Other esteemed members of this Forum enlightened us with the science and sophistication of a Wedding Cake.

This Wedding cake could not be sold to another one, and unrelated party. This is easy not a public accommodation.

Baker had sold several products off the shelf to the lesbian couple without prejudice. These other products were clearly generically produced, for sale to anyone. These were clearly public accommodations, and the lesbian couple had purchased plenty of these from the moron baker.

That's not relevant to the argument.
Hello? The Sweet Cakes Bakery is a Public Accommodation NOT a private business - how you can continue to deny this is beyond me.

However I do agree with your assessment that the baker is a 'moron'.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:01 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,995,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
This needs repeating and reinforces the homosexual as an uncompromising spoiled bully so used to getting its way all the time that they become infuriated when they encounter anybody with a backbone who stands up to them and won’t cave in or knuckle under. They demand that the faithful set aside their constitutionally protected freedom of religious expression just to unreasonably accommodate them and go against their faith on the issue of same sex so-called “weddings”. To the homosexual religion is just a meaningless superstition practiced by primitive backwards people they deem foolish, less intelligent and inferior to them and because of this the homosexual is better and superior.

The homosexual demands that not only are they to be allowed to redefine marriage for society but that everybody else must unquestioningly go along with this notion regardless of any differences of opinion, individual reservation, objection and/or especially religious disagreement on the matter. As such the homosexual supersedes and tramples on the rights of the inferior people of religious faith.
Bang on! I encounter this attitude with liberals all the time, and not just on the homosexuality issue. They cannot defeat you in a civilized debate (I say civilized, since many of them have the idea that a debate is won by calling someone names), so they want to shut you up any way they can. This is where big daddy government steps up to force you to believe something you don't want to believe or remain quiet under fear of fine or other sanctions.
Leftist/statists kind of remind me of the Vancome Lady from old episodes of MAD TV, where if they don't like something they'll plug their ears, reciting, "lalalalala". Yet they're not anywhere near as funny or innocuous.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:16 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,209,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Hello? The Sweet Cakes Bakery is a Public Accommodation NOT a private business - how you can continue to deny this is beyond me.
Because I can read and research. You can read too; from one horse's mouth (Oregon's law previously cited) to another horse's mouth Civil Rights Act of 1964: Public Accommodation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
However I do agree with your assessment that the baker is a 'moron'.
Of course you do, but what does that have to do with the case?

Old 09-05-2013, 09:25 PM

4,320 posts, read 4,209,783 times
I am actually tired on being on the defensive. There has to be a way how we can go on the offense, where I can mind my own business, think what I want to think, and have the right to be left alone.

If I don't like how you look, how you smell, how you talk, even for no reason -- I should have the right to not to have to deal with you.

So forget about religious grounds -- if I don't like you, go **** yourself, I don't want your money, and GTFO of here.

It shouldn't be a heresy to feel that way.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:26 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,995,111 times
Quote:
I am actually tired on being on the defensive. There has to be a way how we can go on the offense, where I can mind my own business, think what I want to think, and have the right to be left alone.

If I don't like how you look, how you smell, how you talk, even for no reason -- I should have the right to not to have to deal with you.

So forget about religious grounds -- if I don't like you, go **** yourself, I don't want your money, and GTFO of here.

I'm inclined to agree.

Old 09-05-2013, 09:39 PM

37,224 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:

First thing I would do is find a different forum to post in...

Old 09-05-2013, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Because I can read and research. You can read too; from one horse's mouth (Oregon's law previously cited) to another horse's mouth Civil Rights Act of 1964: Public Accommodation

Of course you do, but what does that have to do with the case?
But yet you still think that Sweet Cakes Bakery and the services they offer is a private business?

Because the Mother Jones website told you so?

Ummm okay... whatever.

Old 09-05-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:

Sure there is. Don't open a Public Business.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:04 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:

The homosexual militants got what they wanted and are happy destroying those who disagree and refuse to knuckle under instead of just taking their business elsewhere and leaving honest hard working people alone. The lesbians did not have to file a complaint yet they did so anyway knowing full well that the bakery didn’t stand a chance.

They are obviously very pleased with this atrocity that they deliberately, vindictively and wantonly committed while they blissfully go about their sweet little lives now that the bakery is shut down leaving the baker struggling financially and unable to put food on the table.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:35 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,738,449 times
If the baker was worried so much about his/her business, they would bake things and sell them as bakers do. Given that they made cakes for people who were divorced (sort of a big no no in the bible) they're just hypocrites whining because they didn't know the laws that were passed in Oregon.

A business really shouldn't care to who they're selling. They knew that in making cakes, they'd probably end up selling to a gay couple so it's their own fault. No atrocity here, just stupid business people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies