Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,680,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The Supreme Court has already ruled access to public accommodation trumps religious freedom. That's why all those businesses in the South who used to ban blacks from using their facilities were taken to court and lost.

If your personal religious beliefs do not allow you to follow the business laws of a secular country, you should refrain from opening a business.
The point is that the government should never have injected itself in the first place.

A very common misconception is that the Constitution protects people against other people. The Constitution is to protect the citizens from government.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,729,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mszlady View Post
I think if they're in buisness, they're there to serve customers.
Yes. The decision to open a business that is a public accommodation is a decision to treat every law-abiding person the same, regardless of whether their beliefs and values are the same as yours or diametrically opposed to yours.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,800,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
The point is that the government should never have injected itself in the first place.
The government had to inject itself since blacks were being segregated and unable to use restaurants and hotels when traveling through states.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 AM

11,320 posts, read 11,082,043 times
Quote:
If your personal religious beliefs do not allow you to follow the business laws of a secular country, you should refrain from opening a business.
I acknowledge the law Fiyero, but the OP was looking for personal opinions on the subject matter. I've stated mine.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,353,059 times
[quote=Jo48;31268648]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post

It also mentions the sin of adultery. I suppose by their logic they should not serve a married man who is there with a woman other than his wife? Worship False Gods? No Non-Christians will be served?

The entire thing is totally crazy. Keep your religion at HOME and to yourself.
^^^ This.
They're fine with serving non-virgins who want to get married, even though the bible is explicit in saying they should be put to death. They're fine with serving the tattooed, and one of the owners IS tattooed, although the bible forbids it. They're fine with serving adulterers and liars and cheats and thieves and pagans, but when it comes to homosexuals, all hell breaks loose. That's the ONLY time they play the "Oh no, we're Christians and we have morals and values" card.
They hypocrisy is truly astounding!

Last edited by weltschmerz; 09-04-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 09-04-2013, 11:08 AM

10,260 posts, read 6,355,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Yes.
Orthodox Jewish restaurants usually post a Kosher sign in the window. That means they do not serve pork or dairy products with meat. The food is also blessed by a Rabbi. Did you know that? Unless you do, do not ask for bacon and eggs, or a glass of milk with your corned beef sandwich. I have NEVER been denied service at a Jewish deli because I am non-Jewish.

BTW, you do know that both Jews and Muslims don't eat pork? Actually, the food is very similar. I had a GF in HS who was from Syria. Yep, she ate at Jewish delis.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:17 AM

11,320 posts, read 11,082,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Orthodox Jewish restaurants usually post a Kosher sign in the window. That means they do not serve pork or dairy products with meat. The food is also blessed by a Rabbi. Did you know that? Unless you do, do not ask for bacon and eggs, or a glass of milk with your corned beef sandwich. I have NEVER been denied service at a Jewish deli because I am non-Jewish.
But you went into that Jewish deli knowing full well the menu limitations, and you were okay with them. In this scenario, you're argument is like comparing apples to oranges. It's not like you went into the Jewish deli and began to raise all sorts of hell and threaten lawsuits because they wouldn't serve you food that was not kosher.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:18 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,175,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Priscilla Martin View Post
Recently, I have read several accounts regarding business owners who refused LGBT requests for their services. Should religious business owners have to serve LGBT or risk losing their livelihoods, be threatened, boycotted, etc.. for their religious convictions?

1. Oregon. A married couple owned a bakery. They refused to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple. They closed after receiving numerous threats.
Threats Shut Down Oregon Bakery That Refused to Make Gay Wedding Cake:

2. New Mexico. A wedding photographer refused to work a gay wedding.
N.M. Supreme Court: Photographers Can't Refuse Gay Weddings | Gleanings | ChristianityToday.com

3. Iowa. A bistro and art gallery owned by Mennonites refused a gay wedding request for the use of their building. they have since been targeted with countless hate filled emails.

4. Kentucky. A custom T-shirt shop refused to print shirts with pro homosexuals messages.

5. Washington. An elderly florist refused to make the flower arrangements for a gay wedding.

6. Colorado. A bakery refused to bake a cake for a homosexual couple and was boycotted.

Christian Businesses Targeted Over Refusal to Serve Gay Weddings
If they don't want to, they don't have to. If I had a business, I wouldn't serve religious people. That's my choice. I also don't frequent businesses that I know are pretty religious. Again, my choice.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 AM

15,080 posts, read 14,353,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post

BTW, you do know that both Jews and Muslims don't eat pork? Actually, the food is very similar. I had a GF in HS who was from Syria. Yep, she ate at Jewish delis.
Yes, we know. That being said, it's not a valid comparison. They don't serve pork or non-Kosher or Haram food to ANYONE. They don't pick and choose...."Well, I'll serve pork and shellfish to this one or that one, but not to you". They don't carry it in their stores, period.

Old 09-04-2013, 11:21 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,680,794 times
Quote:
The government had to inject itself since blacks were being segregated and unable to use restaurants and hotels when traveling through states.
No, the government did not have to inject itself into what private individuals were doing. The government needed to only inject itself in what the government was doing. The government should not allow the government to discriminate via school segregation, poll taxes, etc. If a city or county refuses to hire a person due to race, that is when it's the government's job via the Constitution to step in.

A private business or person not serving a person due to their race or ethnicity is revolting, but it's not the business of the government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies