Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 02:11 PM

535 posts, read 967,553 times

Advertisements

Recently, I have read several accounts regarding business owners who refused LGBT requests for their services. Should religious business owners have to serve LGBT or risk losing their livelihoods, be threatened, boycotted, etc.. for their religious convictions?

1. Oregon. A married couple owned a bakery. They refused to bake a wedding cake for a lesbian couple. They closed after receiving numerous threats.
Threats Shut Down Oregon Bakery That Refused to Make Gay Wedding Cake:

2. New Mexico. A wedding photographer refused to work a gay wedding.
N.M. Supreme Court: Photographers Can't Refuse Gay Weddings | Gleanings | ChristianityToday.com

3. Iowa. A bistro and art gallery owned by Mennonites refused a gay wedding request for the use of their building. they have since been targeted with countless hate filled emails.

4. Kentucky. A custom T-shirt shop refused to print shirts with pro homosexuals messages.

5. Washington. An elderly florist refused to make the flower arrangements for a gay wedding.

6. Colorado. A bakery refused to bake a cake for a homosexual couple and was boycotted.

Christian Businesses Targeted Over Refusal to Serve Gay Weddings

Last edited by Priscilla Martin; 09-03-2013 at 03:38 PM..

Old 09-03-2013, 02:49 PM

198 posts, read 262,978 times
I think if they're in buisness, they're there to serve customers. People's personal life should be nobody's buisness. Obviously making money is second on their list. If they want to loose buisness because of someone elses preference, then they get what they deserve for being mean.

Old 09-03-2013, 02:54 PM

11,269 posts, read 11,035,002 times
Should Religious Business Owners Have Serve LGBT?

Absolutely not. There are plenty of businesses that do cater to LBGT (many more that do than don't), and I'm thoroughly convinced that militant members of the LBGT community intentionally seek out businesses that look to uphold Biblical and family values for the sole purpose of destroying their business, causing controversy, and filing lawsuits. It is their way of waging war back in return for their perceived persecution.

I have no personal issues with the LBGT community, but I know malicious when I see it.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:11 PM

31,086 posts, read 22,101,630 times
Interesting question. If it is against your religous convictions where do you draw the line?

I still don't know why people continue to use the word Christian as anti-gay considering there are many Christian sects that are fine with Gays and even have Gay Ministers. If someone like the all forgiving Christ actually existed he would probably be fine with all people including Gays.

Old 09-03-2013, 03:23 PM

702 posts, read 727,133 times
Yes. You can't turn away people because you don't like gay people any more than you can turn away people because you don't like black people.

As a broader point, if you can't serve customers maybe the customer service business isn't the right place to try to earn a living?

Hang a sign in the window that says "NO GAYS ALLOWED" and see how far that gets you. It worked so well back in the day.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:09 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Business owners are free to discriminate, but not against members of a protected class. So the question really is should a person's sexual orientation make them part of a protected class? In Minnesota, protected classes are:

Race, Color, Creed, Religion, National Origin, Sex, Marital Status, Familial Status, Disability, Public Assistance, Age, Sexual Orientation, and Local Human Rights Commission Activity.

I personally see a few that don't seem necessary.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:17 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Should Religious Business Owners Have Serve LGBT?

Absolutely not. There are plenty of businesses that do cater to LBGT (many more that do than don't), and I'm thoroughly convinced that militant members of the LBGT community intentionally seek out businesses that look to uphold Biblical and family values for the sole purpose of destroying their business, causing controversy, and filing lawsuits. It is their way of waging war back in return for their perceived persecution.

I have no personal issues with the LBGT community, but I know malicious when I see it.
In a nutshell.

If someone doesn't want your business, take your money on down the road to someone who will appreciate it.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:22 PM

1,160 posts, read 1,431,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
Yes. You can't turn away people because you don't like gay people any more than you can turn away people because you don't like black people.

It is not immoral and against God's law to be black. Your comparison is absurd.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:34 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,053,429 times
If those businesses are offering a public accommodation, they need to do so in a manner that is non-discriminatory. It's one thing to refuse service to a potential customer who is behaving in a manner that is unruly or abusive. It is an entirely different proposition to refuse service to someone based upon that person's personal beliefs or legally protected practices.

If you don't want to abide by anti-discrimination laws, don't go into a business in which you provide goods/services for public consumption. You are always free to exercise your biases in your private life. However, those rights are ethically and (in most cases) legally retracted when operating in the sphere of public accommodation.

Old 09-03-2013, 04:51 PM

5,831 posts, read 7,715,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
If those businesses are offering a public accommodation, they need to do so in a manner that is non-discriminatory. It's one thing to refuse service to a potential customer who is behaving in a manner that is unruly or abusive. It is an entirely different proposition to refuse service to someone based upon that person's personal beliefs or legally protected practices.

If you don't want to abide by anti-discrimination laws, don't go into a business in which you provide goods/services for public consumption. You are always free to exercise your biases in your private life. However, those rights are ethically and (in most cases) legally retracted when operating in the sphere of public accommodation.
Just to be clear though, businesses can discriminate. They can refuse to serve people who are properly attired, who have tattoos they don't like, shave their heads, wear Packer jerseys, and for pretty much any reason they like, except (at least in Minnesota) the ones on the protected classes list. (See above.)

Are those the right groups to protect? Why protect gay people and not bikers or Packer fans? All three have historically been on the margins of society but are generally accepted these days. And gays tend to be wealthier than other members of society. I'm not sure I've heard a good justification for their inclusion on the protected list.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies