Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 08:11 PM

577 posts, read 514,434 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
As usual we see the liberals have no problem telling others how to run their business and never seem to run out of ideas for spending someone elses money.
They wont be happy till its all chains and crony corps
Why are the only people upset about the calories on a menu the anti-government folks? You have made absouletly no valid problem with the issue at hand, and instead just use generic complaint about liberals. I suppose you ran out of ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2013, 08:13 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,289,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
As usual we see the liberals have no problem telling others how to run their business and never seem to run out of ideas for spending someone elses money.
Well there goes that dodge. funny that you ignore the following:

You ignore the MULTITUDE of regulations and laws that tells a business owner how to run their business (from wages, to tipping, to taxing, to health code violations), but harp on this one little MINOR addition to a multitude of laws, that most RESTAURANTS are already doing anyway.

News: many chain RESTAURANTS already have caloric information on their menus. The law proposed and that will take EFFECT is not CHANGING anything that restaurants have been doing already for nearly a decade!

Old 09-05-2013, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
Well there goes that dodge. funny that you ignore the following:

You ignore the MULTITUDE of regulations and laws that tells a business owner how to run their business (from wages, to tipping, to taxing, to health code violations), but harp on this one little MINOR addition to a multitude of laws, that most RESTAURANTS are already doing anyway.

News: many chain RESTAURANTS already have caloric information on their menus. The law proposed and that will take EFFECT is not CHANGING anything that restaurants have been doing already for nearly a decade!
You are completely accurate Arus. I think he/she was just trolling to turn the whole thing into a liberal bashing session. I don't suppose he/she realizes that I know people of all political beliefs that watch what they eat and enjoy food establishments providing the calorie information.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:21 PM

5,576 posts, read 8,027,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Portion size, now you are just talking crazy. Steaks I suppose should be labeled, little, bigger, and biggest by that logic.
Let's face it - if the Democrats can come up with unintentional parodies like this, portion sizes won't be too far behind. If you put this out as an example of the liberal attitude towards public education, you would be accused of being a regressive inbred 'bagger that has been hoodwinked by the Koch brothers. However the following is a direct quote from a Slate article last month:

Quote:
But it seems to me that if every single parent sent every single child to public school, public schools would improve. This would not happen immediately. It could take generations. Your children and grandchildren might get mediocre educations in the meantime, but it will be worth it, for the eventual common good. [...]

As rotten as my school’s English, history, science, social studies, math, art, music, and language programs were, going to school with poor kids and rich kids, black kids and brown kids, smart kids and not-so-smart ones, kids with superconservative Christian parents and other upper-middle-class Jews like me was its own education and life preparation. Reading Walt Whitman in ninth grade changed the way you see the world? Well, getting drunk before basketball games with kids who lived at the trailer park near my house did the same for me. In fact it’s part of the reason I feel so strongly about public schools.
Perhaps Poe's Law has come into effect at Slate? Anyway, my point is that crazy misrepresentations and slippery-slope exaggerations can be much closer to reality than they look at first glance.

Besides, I see absolutely no reason for business owners to be forced to put (presumably government-approved) calorie counts on their menus. What you are doing here is making it a crime for someone to put out menus that don't match your personal preference. This has absolutely nothing to do with health care or health insurance, either, so the only reason to even put this in a health care bill in the first place was the power-madness and corruption of the Washington elite (i.e. sneaking it in a 2000-page bill that no one can read). That, by the way, includes the insurance lobby that helped to create the bill that so-called left-wingers love so much. A much better way to structure a health care bill is something like Kucinich's Medicare for All proposal - only 30 pages long and no mention of restaurants or calorie counts.

Old 09-05-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Let's face it - if the Democrats can come up with unintentional parodies like this, portion sizes won't be too far behind. If you put this out as an example of the liberal attitude towards public education, you would be accused of being a regressive inbred 'bagger that has been hoodwinked by the Koch brothers. However the following is a direct quote from a Slate article last month:

Perhaps Poe's Law has come into effect at Slate? Anyway, my point is that crazy misrepresentations and slippery-slope exaggerations can be much closer to reality than they look at first glance.

Besides, I see absolutely no reason for business owners to be forced to put (presumably government-approved) calorie counts on their menus. What you are doing here is making it a crime for someone to put out menus that don't match your personal preference. This has absolutely nothing to do with health care or health insurance, either, so the only reason to even put this in a health care bill in the first place was the power-madness and corruption of the Washington elite (i.e. sneaking it in a 2000-page bill that no one can read). That, by the way, includes the insurance lobby that helped to create the bill that so-called left-wingers love so much. A much better way to structure a health care bill is something like Kucinich's Medicare for All proposal - only 30 pages long and no mention of restaurants or calorie counts.
Just like I said about the other poster, turning a simple thing into some huge liberal vs tea party arguement, more trolling. Knowing what you are paying for and putting into your body is something that consumers deserve anyways. Also like Arus mentioned, most places already post the information anyways because they are responding to consumer demands.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:10 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,289,676 times
I like how certain restaurants use it as a SELLING POINT.

Like Chili's , Olive Garden, Red Lobster, and such will have a section that says "Under 500 calories" .

Many restaurants are now advertising Gluten Free items along with caloric information.

Many restaurants are now advertsing sugar free offerings in their desert sections.

What is so hard about doing something that restaurants are already doing?

Me, I'm glad there is caloric information next to the food items I order. The items I used to eat, are no loner the "go to" options on the menu.

I look for the "Under 500" calorie section.
I order the Kids Happy meal instead of the Value meal (in reality, the Kids Happy meal IS the correct portion size of fries and your hamburger).
And I exercise each day. I'm not getting younger, and days of eating over 900 calories meals are long gone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies