Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,924,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Liberals: Can you be objective and concede at the very least Obama is not a good leader?
Conservatives: We shouldn't gloat about Obama being a failure this is not a game. Our country's future is too important for these petty squabbles. Obama maybe a failure but let's maintain our respect for the office and muster some for the man himself.

OBAMA COULD LOSE BIG ON SYRIA IN HOUSE | POLITICO
LOL, if Obama is such a weak leader than how would you describe the conservatives that had their asses handed to them in two consecutive elections?

His beatdown of McCain and Caribou Barbie was so effective that the quitter from Wasilla eventually walked away from politics for the greener pastures of reality tv stardom.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 PM

304 posts, read 472,836 times
Obama attended and excelled at two of the nations top colleges for developing leadership.
He was offered a high paying job in two Chicago law firms. He choose instead to help organize [ not agitate ] in the south side of Chicago, which he knew would be one of the most impossible of jobs. I have read that he administered a $ 50 million budget through that program without any audit problems. He also taught 12 years of constitutional law at the University of Chicago. He was a state representative, a state senator and a U S senator before becoming president. Each of his critics should ask themselves, if they could have succeeded in any of those jobs. A weak president? He saved the financial industry, General Motors and Chrysler and introduced a stimulus program that either saved are created over two million jobs. Yes I know that the wing-nuts dispute that but it's true nonetheless. He has waged an effective war with little loss of life and now he is applying pressure on our allies to get them to live up to their commitments to help with Syria. To my knowledge none of his cabinet have resigned in protest but only because they were worn out. A weak President?

Old 09-06-2013, 01:48 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,248,466 times
You can tell a lot about people by what or whom they think is weak or strong.

No Conservative would ever call Reagan "weak."

Yet, what was his response to the Beirut Embassy attack and subsequent Marine Barracks bombing?

Ehhh..."we don't belong here...let's go."

And yet, he was a "strong president." SMH...bizarro world logic.

Old 09-06-2013, 01:55 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,475,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I don't think it is quite accurate to call him a weak leader. He got ObamaCare rammed through in spite of its unpopularity. Whether you like or not (I don't), getting it signed into law was an impressive feat. He got himself re-elected in spite of the dismal economy. He skated thru the IRS and BATF scandals with no real damage due to deft marionette skills.

If he doesn't like a law, he just orders his agencies to ignore it--and he gets away with this, time after time. Here's a good piece by liberal law prof Jon Turley who says that Obama is the imperial prez that Nixon aspired to be.
Nixon has won Watergate: Column

None of these things are necessarily good, but I don't think you can call him a 'weak leader.'
Last time I checked, it was Congress that enacts the laws (such as "ObamaCare"), not Presidents. Obama took ownership of the Affordable Health Care Act of 2010, but he certainly had no hand in its creation, nor did he "rammed [it] through in spite of its unpopularity." That dubious "credit" goes to Senator Reid and House Speaker Pelosi.

Obama merely pulled a "Clinton," who would take ownership of bills that the GOP passed, whether he liked them or not. For example, the Personal Responsibility and Work Opportunity Act (a.k.a. Welfare Reform Act) of 1996 was vehemently opposed by Clinton who vetoed the bill in January 1996, and threatened to veto it again in June 1996. When the bill passed with a veto-proof majority in July 1996, Clinton suddenly claimed credit for the law. That is not leadership, that is pure politics.

Clinton, Bush, and Obama ignored laws enacted by Congress, thus violating their oath of office, so I would not consider Obama to be an anomaly in that regard. Clinton, Bush, and Obama also issued decrees via Executive Order that extended beyond the Executive Branch, which puts all three in the "tyrant" category.

The chief difference between Clinton, Bush, and Obama is executive experience. Both Clinton and Bush had been Governors of their State. Obama is obviously lacking in this regard.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:01 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,944,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
It's the equivalent of a low-level line manager at IBM suddenly "campaigning" for -- and winning -- the job of CEO of IBM. You cannot run before you walk, and you cannot lead before you accomplish..
And Reagan's years in Hollywood prepared him for high office? Right. Obama is doing the job of POTUS about as well as it has ever been done before. He has excellent natural gifts for the job. In a different U.S.A. he could really do some good. In the present climate of partisanship, not so much. A pity. A HUGE pity. A real waste of a good man.

H

Last edited by Leisesturm; 09-06-2013 at 03:16 PM..

Old 09-06-2013, 02:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,475,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
LOL, if Obama is such a weak leader than how would you describe the conservatives that had their asses handed to them in two consecutive elections?

His beatdown of McCain and Caribou Barbie was so effective that the quitter from Wasilla eventually walked away from politics for the greener pastures of reality tv stardom.
Complete and total BS, but not unexpected from someone completely disconnected from reality.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:06 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,440,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
If you want to see a seriously weak leader in DC, check out John Boehner. The man has seen one negotiation after the next blown up by the petulant clowns that he supposedly leads, his second-in-command is about as loyal as Starscream from the Transformers cartoons, he's basically stuck following stuff like the Hastert rule...

Compare to Obama. He managed to get most of his signature bills passed pretty quickly, and he's more or less managed to hold the dems together even when his negotiations lead to something dems don't like, while dealing with an opposition that will oppose their own ideas as soon as he endorses them (eg. The Debt commission, aid for veterans, "Obamacare").
I have no use for that cry baby so I can agree on this point.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:07 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,866,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leisesturm View Post
And Reagan's years in Hollywood prepared him for high office? Right. Obama is doing the job of POTUS about as well as it has ever been done before. He has excellent natural gifts for the job. In a different U.S.A. he could really do some good. In the present climate of bi-partisanship, not so much. A pity. A HUGE pity. A real waste of a good man.

H
Did you forget or did you even know: Reagan spent 8 years as governor of one of the largest states in the country? That is what prepared him, not Hollywood...

BTW: no one has said he isn't a good man, but good men do not always make good Presidents and bad guys can make good Presidents.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:10 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,675,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Easy. They stole the election. Or people voted for him Obama because he'll "give them things." To hear conservatives tell the story, anyway.

Quote:
The beatdown of Palin was a blessing for her. She had absolutely no business being a governor, or any kind of lawmaker, for that matter. The loss in 2008 was a new beginning.

Old 09-06-2013, 02:11 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,440,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortoggie View Post
Obama attended and excelled at two of the nations top colleges for developing leadership.
He was offered a high paying job in two Chicago law firms. He choose instead to help organize [ not agitate ] in the south side of Chicago, which he knew would be one of the most impossible of jobs. I have read that he administered a $ 50 million budget through that program without any audit problems. He also taught 12 years of constitutional law at the University of Chicago. He was a state representative, a state senator and a U S senator before becoming president. Each of his critics should ask themselves, if they could have succeeded in any of those jobs. A weak president? He saved the financial industry, General Motors and Chrysler and introduced a stimulus program that either saved are created over two million jobs. Yes I know that the wing-nuts dispute that but it's true nonetheless. He has waged an effective war with little loss of life and now he is applying pressure on our allies to get them to live up to their commitments to help with Syria. To my knowledge none of his cabinet have resigned in protest but only because they were worn out. A weak President?
Attendance at Ivy League schools while impressive isn't an indicator of leadership. One can be smart and unable to lead. As for his community organizing on the South Side how well did that turn out. General Motirs bailout was started by Bush funded by Bush's Tarp. The finance industry again funded by Tarp.

How is that pressure working? UK is no, France is backtracking. I mean I understand your love for Obama but you are not addressing current realities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies