Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:28 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times

Advertisements

The more I think about the last two plus years, the more I struggle to find a domestic or international situation in which President Obama has stood out as a "true leader." This is not to say that the President has not made any difficult decisions. As President of the United States, difficult decisions are certainly part of the job. But there's a distinct difference between doing your job, and actually having the leadership qualities that emanate and resonate with the people you are leading.

Throughout humanity, there have been many natural-born leaders, as well as people who have grown to become effective leaders. With the Presidency, the learning curve is mighty steep for sure, but after more than two years in office, is it safe to concur that Barack Obama is niether a natural-born leader nor a person who has grown into the true definition of a leader?

To me, President Obama is a failed experiment. I'd be more than happy to give him credit if there were elements of his Presidency that convinced me that a true leader was at the helm. I personally have not seen anything that would give me that impression.

What say you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 11:30 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
How is Obama a failed experiment? What were we experimenting with?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:32 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
You really think we're "all going to agree" that Obama is not a leader?

His approval rating has essentially been split 50/50 since he took office.

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval

Old 06-16-2011, 11:33 PM

399 posts, read 1,803,679 times
Say I (sic) that true leadership is like beauty, it's like a rose by any other name with a thorn in the eye of the beholder.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:38 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Is he Teddy Roosevelt? No. But he'll suffice.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You really think we're "all going to agree" that Obama is not a leader?

His approval rating has essentially been split 50/50 since he took office.

Gallup Daily: Obama Job Approval
You have a point, but, objective people should be able to set aside politics and reason with themselves whether their expectations as a "true leader" have been met or not.

If you notice, I did not object my personal politics into the post. We all know that I dislike the President, but on the other hand, I have also given him credit where credit is due. In this case, he does not deserve to be referred to as a "true leader" from my perspective.

Old 06-16-2011, 11:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The more I think about the last two plus years, the more I struggle to find a domestic or international situation in which President Obama has stood out as a "true leader." This is not to say that the President has not made any difficult decisions. As President of the United States, difficult decisions are certainly part of the job. But there's a distinct difference between doing your job, and actually having the leadership qualities that emanate and resonate with the people you are leading.

Throughout humanity, there have been many natural-born leaders, as well as people who have grown to become effective leaders. With the Presidency, the learning curve is mighty steep for sure, but after more than two years in office, is it safe to concur that Barack Obama is niether a natural-born leader nor a person who has grown into the true definition of a leader?

To me, President Obama is a failed experiment. I'd be more than happy to give him credit if there were elements of his Presidency that convinced me that a true leader was at the helm. I personally have not seen anything that would give me that impression.

What say you?
I think that is a pretty fair assessment. My biggest concern is who will we replace him with. As Republicans we need to nominate the very best candidate we can, as he/she wil be President.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:04 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,242,679 times
The things I would say about President Obama is 1) he's the kind of guy tries to be a consensus builder and 2) he's not particularly decisive.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:08 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Can we all agree that the man is the President of the United States and get beyond our opinions about him and accept his leadership?

There isn't really more anyone can do for the next 18 months or so except bytch about it.

I didn't vote for him but I will respect his office.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:11 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,949,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
You have a point, but, objective people should be able to set aside politics and reason with themselves whether their expectations as a "true leader" have been met or not.

If you notice, I did not object my personal politics into the post. We all know that I dislike the President, but on the other hand, I have also given him credit where credit is due. In this case, he does not deserve to be referred to as a "true leader" from my perspective.
A true leader does not put the US in the backseat of a NATO operation from the get go. (regardless of my opposition to the operation)

A true leader does not travel the world diminishing the accomplishments of his own country.

A true leader does not govern by committee in an attempt to keep his hands clean of failed policies; rather, he is involved.

A true leader is not divisive and does not repeatedly insult 50% of the population he is supposed to represent.

A true leader addresses the problems of the day with all earnesty to solve them rather than kick them down the road to be someone elses problem (see budget, debt, and economy).

I concur with the OP's assessment.

That said, there was no reason to expect Obama would be a truel leader. He's never led or run anything in his entire life (or not in that part we are allowed to know of him).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies