Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 12:15 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A true leader addresses the problems of the day with all earnesty to solve them rather than kick them down the road to be someone elses problem (see budget, debt, and economy).
By that definition (specific to the economy and running up U.S. debt), Bush 43 and Rappin' Ronnie Reagan were really lousy leaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2011, 12:47 AM

27,142 posts, read 15,318,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
A true leader does not put the US in the backseat of a NATO operation from the get go. (regardless of my opposition to the operation)

A true leader does not travel the world diminishing the accomplishments of his own country.

A true leader does not govern by committee in an attempt to keep his hands clean of failed policies; rather, he is involved.

A true leader is not divisive and does not repeatedly insult 50% of the population he is supposed to represent.

A true leader addresses the problems of the day with all earnesty to solve them rather than kick them down the road to be someone elses problem (see budget, debt, and economy).

I concur with the OP's assessment.

That said, there was no reason to expect Obama would be a true leader. He's never led or run anything in his entire life (or not in that part we are allowed to know of him).

I say that summarizes it very well.
Let the record reflect......

Old 06-17-2011, 01:22 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Default You must mean Bush; absurd and incorrect about Obama

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
The more I think about the last two plus years, the more I struggle to find a domestic or international situation in which President Obama has stood out as a "true leader." This is not to say that the President has not made any difficult decisions. As President of the United States, difficult decisions are certainly part of the job. But there's a distinct difference between doing your job, and actually having the leadership qualities that emanate and resonate with the people you are leading.

Throughout humanity, there have been many natural-born leaders, as well as people who have grown to become effective leaders. With the Presidency, the learning curve is mighty steep for sure, but after more than two years in office, is it safe to concur that Barack Obama is niether a natural-born leader nor a person who has grown into the true definition of a leader?

To me, President Obama is a failed experiment. I'd be more than happy to give him credit if there were elements of his Presidency that convinced me that a true leader was at the helm. I personally have not seen anything that would give me that impression.

What say you?
This observation is absolutely absurd. President Obama has been an incredible, effective, articulate, decisive leader. He's far greater than Reagan and he's still in his first term.

The Republican narrative however is epic in its negativity, misguided commentary, and misinformation. Given the shameful record of Republicans when in charge, distorting the truth about this great President is no more than a desperate act of self-preservation. However, you can't hide from your record under Bush or the GOP stench that this country has been coping with ever since Bush left.

Edge: This great leader President Obama.

Old 06-17-2011, 01:51 AM

1,027 posts, read 824,843 times
Ummm how can a PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES....NOT be a leader?

Now you could question if hes a GOOD or BAD leader...but to say hes not a leader is ridiculous.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
Ummm how can a PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES....NOT be a leader?

Now you could question if hes a GOOD or BAD leader...but to say hes not a leader is ridiculous.
Being in a leadership position does not a leader make. Come back when thinking deeper is part of your menu of options.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:08 AM

1,027 posts, read 824,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Being in a leadership position does not a leader make. Come back when thinking deeper is part of your menu of options.

OK then I suppose General Patton wasn't a leader he was just in a "leadership position"?

Come back when your Obama hatred stops clouding that brain of yours.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:24 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
Can we all agree that the man is the President of the United States and get beyond our opinions about him and accept his leadership?

There isn't really more anyone can do for the next 18 months or so except bytch about it.

I didn't vote for him but I will respect his office.
Well, that's kind of dumb; just because Obama is
President does not mean folks will not have opinions about
him. Should we really accept leadership that we don't agree with?
I think not. Eighteen months is enough time for folks to say:
quit the damn spending, get out of Libya and STOP wanting to raise the debt ceiling Oh, and your
health care bill blows

This notion, that once anyone is elected as President, we are suppose to lay down
and die for four years, is well, dumb

Hey, I wanted Ron Paul back in 2008. I've promoted
his message since then. I'll be damned if I'll let a
little thing like an elected President by the clueless
get in the way

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
He's a great leader of the proletariat.

He's a terrible leader of the economy.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:36 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
So you (op) arent enamored with Obama as leader.
From the group of wannabe's out there who would you be more comfortable with as a duly elected leader?

Old 06-17-2011, 03:42 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,368,535 times
O having followers doesn't make O a leader.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies