Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 04:43 PM

19,455 posts, read 27,902,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by glazersight View Post
Martin Luther King Jr. was effective because he knew how to communicate. If his strategy involved color coordinated t-shirts, screaming like a bunch of cheerleaders with disregard for those trying to get their shopping done and "stepping", nobody would know his name today.

++++++++ ^^^^^^^^

Another thing that entered my sometimes cynical, capitalistic leaning brain: How much time did these people put into practicing those dance routines and arranging this event? Would not that time have been better spent looking for another job?

I'm all for signing petitions, standing up for what you believe, and taking a stand. But I'd gotta feed my family first.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:39 PM

292 posts, read 508,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
++++++++ ^^^^^^^^

Another thing that entered my sometimes cynical, capitalistic leaning brain: How much time did these people put into practicing those dance routines and arranging this event? Would not that time have been better spent looking for another job?
Exactly. Much more productive than coming up with an unsolicited "squeaky wheel demo" for a non-audience just to show the world how annoying they can be and clarify in many minds why they were probably fired in the first place.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:42 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,310,881 times
I've read a few articles about this. Honest question (not meant to be snarky) but what about their firing was "unfair". I've seen there protest coverage, but don't understand the circumstances that lead to the firing.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:46 PM

43,365 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I've read a few articles about this. Honest question (not meant to be snarky) but what about their firing was "unfair". I've seen there protest coverage, but don't understand the circumstances that lead to the firing.
I think they all got canned when that one feller's britches fell down. Doesn't seem fair to me.

Old 09-06-2013, 05:51 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

Amazing what you can accomplish when you put your mind to something isn't it

Old 09-06-2013, 05:52 PM

22,686 posts, read 36,866,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
I think they all got canned when that one feller's britches fell down. Doesn't seem fair to me.
Inspiration for that "Pants on the Ground!" song from a few years back

Old 09-06-2013, 06:13 PM

43,365 posts, read 77,261,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Inspiration for that "Pants on the Ground!" song from a few years back
wow. You sure had me outflanked with your grasp of sophisticated culture.
I had to talk to my friends at Google, to catch up with General Larry Platt and his age discrimination claim.

Pants On The Ground American Idol - YouTube

Old 09-06-2013, 06:20 PM

86 posts, read 147,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caarmour View Post
I had to go in one here for work a few days ago and it was hell. That place is literally hell on earth.
True, but going in there is really good for your self-esteem. You're bound to feel a lot better about yourself after seeing some of the people in there.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:33 PM

162 posts, read 292,209 times
These workers were fired after striking for higher pay and better benefits -- although it is illegal to fire striking workers, Wal-Mart is hiding behind the veil of firing them for 'violating their attendance policy.' I know this will meet with the usual stopcomplainingbehappyyouhaveajob reaction from most here but the fact of the matter is that Wal-Mart makes about $15 billion in profit every year -- and yet its average worker makes $8.81 an hour -- and is thus eligible for food stamps and Medicaid. So you -- and me -- are subsidizing Wal-Mart to the tune of over $1 million PER STORE -- this adds up pretty quickly. California is looking to enact legislation that would fine Wal-Mart when employees are forced to turn to the government for basic benefits.

Of course there is a much larger issue at work here but I bet if many of you looked back in your own family history there was a union worker whose rights and wages were protected -- a worker who was paid a fair and living wage for the work they did. Now it seems corporation are simply interested in bottom line profits -- which explains why wealth inequity is growing at such an alarming rate -- fine if you're in the top percentile but that number is growing smaller every year.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 PM

1,231 posts, read 3,153,358 times
The walmart in morrisville is not so bad. I am more of a target shopped. I didnt understand one word these "dancers" were screaming...did they want to rehired or form a union?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies