Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 02:36 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,712,723 times

Advertisements

I'm split on this one but I have to say there are worse ways to go.

I am always telling young bucks becareful ****ing with old dudes.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 02:54 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,935,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Only a tree was in the OP. No sense turning it into a forest unless you start your own thread to complain about accountability of government agencies; or lack thereof. To do so in this thread would not serve discussion of the incident. Rather, it would detract from it, just like your last post and this response are doing.
Your opinion you are entitled. So are others.
You think your age and nap preferences were germane?

We are talking about a piece in a much larger trend. I don't think that dismisses the larger trend as irrelevant or off-topic. Interesting you also see a mention of lack of tracking and accountability as a complaint.

Old 09-08-2013, 04:44 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,072,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
What is the point of those bullet proof vests anyway?
If you have bullet proof vests, you should start selling them and make a fortune - all those cops and soldiers with bullet resistant vests would be thrilled to buy them.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:22 PM

4,137 posts, read 2,840,147 times
Quote:
What is the point of those bullet proof vests anyway?
No such thing as a "bullet proof" vest, a ballistic vest? Yes. A "bullet proof" vest? No.

Old 09-08-2013, 06:24 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,942,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
This is the quality of policing a leftist federal government is bringing to the masses.

Well done, obamabots.
Don't be daft. This is a local police department. Obama had nothing to do with it but let's not get in the way of your obsession with blaming Obama for it being cloudy this week, right?

Old 09-09-2013, 06:03 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,104 times
Suicide by cop?

Old 09-09-2013, 06:07 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,497,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
How in heaven's name can't a bunch of highly trained and physically fit officers not out-wait a 107 year old man...?

Why the **** do we even need a professional police force when they act in the most unproffesional and idiotic ways?

Might as well have a bunch of George Zimmermans running around doling out justice.
Well at least Zimmy waited until he was physically attacked before resorting to a firearm, as the undisputed facts show.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:10 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,585,553 times
Talking Loony tunes, dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed from California View Post
This is the quality of policing a leftist federal government is bringing to the masses.

Well done, obamabots.

Loony tunes...

Old 09-09-2013, 08:42 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,568,492 times
From this story today, it sounds like this home was his. He felt threatened by these two people, so defended himself with his gun. The camera confirmed that he had a gun - even though he had supposedly shot thru the door at the cops, which would have confirmed it for me.
Negotiation failed, gas failed, distraction device failed, so they shot him in a blaze of glory.

I suppose he's lucky they didn't just torch the house to burn him out, or burn him where he crouched, like they did Dorner in LA.

Arkansas SWAT officers kill man, 107, in standoff

Old 09-09-2013, 10:20 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,889,770 times
Quote:
From this story today, it sounds like this home was his. He felt threatened by these two people, so defended himself with his gun. The camera confirmed that he had a gun - even though he had supposedly shot thru the door at the cops, which would have confirmed it for me.
Negotiation failed, gas failed, distraction device failed, so they shot him in a blaze of glory.

I suppose he's lucky they didn't just torch the house to burn him out, or burn him where he crouched, like they did Dorner in LA.

Arkansas SWAT officers kill man, 107, in standoff
I don't think the house was his. One of the people evacuated stated that the confrontation began when he was told he would have to move out. He didn't want to move, and he began threatening the other two people with his gun, and they called the police at that time. I think possibly he thought the police showed up to forcibly remove him, rather than the police being called to calm the situation down, and so he fired at the police. They tried to talk to him, but (a) he was so worried about being forcibly evicted---and at 107 years old who wouldn't be scared and worried about moving, and (b) he didn't trust the police. So the police efforts to negotiate were fruitless.

The police actions are now being investigated, because obviously people are wondering why the police focused so intently on getting in the house and apprehending him. The police really escalated the situation. And frankly, that does seem to be a shift nationally in police mindset, where SWAT teams and other response teams are a tremendous expense that the police department has to justify by using, and when they are used, the focus isn't in resolving the issues. It's become more adversarial, with the police, like the military, focused on subduing the enemy.

I doubt an investigation is going to yield anything. The SWAT team did what they are trained to do. The old man knew he was firing on the police, and it will be considered a justified shooting. An investigation isn't going to focus on the bigger problem, that nationally we've transformed police into quasi-military units that act as military units, with the public being the enemy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies