Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 12:01 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,469,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
1. . if that is true (1 in 4 americans think obama MAY be the anti-christ) than. . well we have a lot of idiots in the US, and we deserve to fall. I mean anyone who thinks an Anti-Christ is even possible is 90% on their way to nut job
On the contrary, anyone who doesn't think an antichrist is possible is already 100% nutjob. There is no evidence whatsoever that an antichrist isn't possible.
Quote:
2) threatening the government, attacking the govt, trying to overthrow the govt. is not protected speach and an arrest does not violate the Constitution. maybe your fictional Cons. only you believe. . but in the real one, this guy goes to jail.
Actually, the real one doesn't specify one way or the other. The court has interpreted speech which incites violence to not be protected. But it could reverse that at any time. The court has reversed interpretations of the constitution throughout the nation's history.

Last edited by kidkaos2; 09-16-2013 at 01:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,924,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
how so, 11,000 rounds of ammo isn't even a lot of ammo.
Maybe not for an angry, paranoid gun nut.

When is the average person going to need to kill more than 11,000 people?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:16 PM

11,149 posts, read 10,726,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Maybe not for an angry, paranoid gun nut.

When is the average person going to need to kill more than 11,000 people?
I've seen people buy 5,000 rounds at a time because it was on sale and the only thing they shoot at is paper. You are making the typical mistaken assumption that owning a large quantity of ammunition means you plan to go out and start shooting said ammunition at people.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:21 PM
Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
I've seen people buy 5,000 rounds at a time because it was on sale and the only thing they shoot at is paper. You are making the typical mistaken assumption that owning a large quantity of ammunition means you plan to go out and start shooting said ammunition at people.
You are shooting at paper as practice for shooting at something else. Anybody that needs 5,000 or more rounds of ammo for an at home stash has some type of mental issues - general OCD style hoarding, or the SHTF paranoid delusions that many gun owners suffer from.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:24 PM

10,016 posts, read 12,591,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
How can you tell the difference? If he's a nut job then so is everyone on the religious right.

... and 1 in 4 Americans....

One in four Americans think Obama may be the antichrist, survey says | World news | theguardian.com
One in four Americans think Obama may be the antichrist, survey says
Only one in four Americans is a nut job????? I would have thought at least half of you Yanks are nuts!!!!!

Old 09-16-2013, 12:26 PM

11,149 posts, read 10,726,844 times
Quote:
You are shooting at paper as practice for shooting at something else. Anybody that needs 5,000 or more rounds of ammo for an at home stash has some type of mental issues - general OCD style hoarding, or the SHTF paranoid delusions that many gun owners suffer from.
The bolded sentence points out your lack of knowledge when it comes to sport shooting. Once again, I know people who purchase 5,000 rounds of ammo at a time because it is on sale and the only thing they shoot at is paper targets. They do it because they enjoy doing it, not because they're practicing for something else.

Old 09-16-2013, 12:37 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,451,940 times
Quote:

Not all of us gun owners with an ammo stash are nutjobs.

In recent years, ammunition has sometimes been very difficult to buy for months on end. Following Sandy Hook last December, that's been the case all through 2013 so far. I used to just keep a couple of boxes on hand and stop at Walmart or the LGS on the way to the range to pick up some ammo for plinking or target practice. I've learned the hard way that "just in time buying" has become a thing of the past. I now have a couple of drawers in a filing cabinet full - probably several hundred rounds for each caliber I own. And the current ammo shortage hasn't caused me any grief as a result.

These things occur when there's a mass shooting and the talk on all of the news channels turns to curbing gun ownership and taking measures to limit ammo availability. Millions of gun owners buy up ammo stocks "just in case" some poorly written legislation gets passed that keeps rational recreational shooters from having access to ammunition. With today's psycho attack at the Washington Navy Yard, it will now likely be difficult for manufacturers to meet the demand for another year.

Ironic that DC has some of the strictest gun control laws, yet mass shootings have occurred there repeatedly over the years. Makes one think that criminals and the insane just don't abide by gun laws. Who would have thought?

Old 09-16-2013, 12:45 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,675,878 times
The price and availability of ammunition is more volatile than the price of a hooker on Saturday night. As stated, someone goes on a rampage in Colorado and all the 223 and 9mm disappears off the shelves for 6 months, unless you buy it for a dollar a round. I will not tell you my stash, but I will assure you that I'm not subject to the fluctuations of the ammo supply.

Old 09-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Sco

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
These things occur when there's a mass shooting and the talk on all of the news channels turns to curbing gun ownership and taking measures to limit ammo availability. Millions of gun owners buy up ammo stocks "just in case" some poorly written legislation gets passed that keeps rational recreational shooters from having access to ammunition. With today's psycho attack at the Washington Navy Yard, it will now likely be difficult for manufacturers to meet the demand for another year.
This is exactly my point, ammo hoarders are reacting to their paranoid delusions about the various boogeymen that are going to come take their guns, harm their families, convert the US to Sharia Law, etc.

It is nutty behavior, especially when you consider that the ammo "shortages" have all been caused by the gun nuts buying and hoarding all of the ammo they can find. The only reason that ammo may be in short supply at the normal retail outlets is because every gun nut across the country has been buying it all up in preparation for some type of ill defined disaster that never actually happens.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:33 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,414,679 times
Quote:
So when my dad and I went out to country bridges shooting bottles, I was practicing killing people? I thought I was just having fun with my dad and shooting bottles
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies