Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 10:16 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,424,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
At no point in my post did I mention hoarding ammunition, and neither did bUU. The topic was purchasing ammo and scopes, and bUU implied that doing so was wrong in some way.

Out of curiosity, however, how much ammunition does one have to purchase in order to be considered "hoarding"? Considering that I know many people who regularly purchase ammunition in bulk because it tends to be less costly that way and keep well over 5000 rounds in their gun cabinet so that they don't have to run to the local gun shop and hope that ammunition is in stock when they want to go to the range, this seems to be an open-ended argument which can only be settled by issuing an arbitrary number which has no bearing on reality.

Contrary to your statement, the demographic that is fixated on guns tends to be the demographic that attributes evil attributes to inanimate objects. I know a multitude of hobbyists who enjoy shooting and collecting firearms, and I know many people including myself who indulge in our right to concealed carry. Fear isn't a factor except in a couple of rare exceptions, and those exceptions are due to life experiences which justify that fear. The true fear rests in the minds of those who believe that simply owning a firearm somehow makes one a danger to society.

You apparently haven't purchased ammunition in the last year or so. Most places that sell ammunition had empty shelves until about a month ago, and some still do. My local Walmart, for example, hasn't had 9mm or .223 ammunition on in stock since before last Christmas. Local gun shops also ran extremely low on stock for several months and were limiting the number of boxes you could purchase. There most definitely has been an ammunition shortage on the retail level, whether the manufacturers and distributors had a shortage or not. Considering that there is quite a bit of profit in ammunition, it doesn't make much fiscal sense for the manufacturers or distributors to be holding onto their stock and losing massive amounts of sales.
I have purchased it in the last year actually. And I know there are shortages at the store. Im saying I think this is a manufacured shortage to drive up prices by the maufacturers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 10:23 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,824,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
A Pennsylvania patriot was arrested for exercising his 1st & 2nd Amendment rights. Damned Obama!

A Scranton man has been arrested for sending this threat to the White House: "President Obama is the Anti-Christ. As a result of breaking the constitution you will stand down or be shot dead. This will be sent to militias throughout the country and the media. Nick Savino." A search of his residence found two licensed weapons, one of which was a loaded AR-15, 11,000 rounds of ammunition, a long-range scope and training manuals on long-range shooting.

Officials: Clarks Summit man accused of threatening Obama kept loaded AR-15 - News - The Times-Tribune

Threatening to kill a president became a felony crime in the U.S. in 1917.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threate..._United_States

Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,592,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Welp...

Looks like Savino's gonna go a long time w/o his firearms and ammo now. But then, he's just the kind of unstable freakazoid who never should have been able to get his hands on weapons in the first place. Guns ain't meant for the mentally/emotionally defectives.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:26 AM

13 posts, read 26,429 times
The guy threatened a sitting president. he`s no patriot, he an idiot. And as for the gun grabs. All scare tactics. ALL guns should be registered. You don`t complain about registering your car or motorcycle. No one is trying to take the guns. And all the people who are screaming about it are the ones that scare me.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
How can you tell the difference? If he's a nut job then so is everyone on the religious right.

... and 1 in 4 Americans....

One in four Americans think Obama may be the antichrist, survey says | World news | theguardian.com
One in four Americans think Obama may be the antichrist, survey says
1/4 is not everyone.

Believing someone is the antichrist is not a crime. Threatening to kill a President has been deemed a felony for almost 100 years.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:38 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,719,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post

Threatening the President of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But not in 1780?
Not in 1860?

Ah, the Progressive movement, to destroy the Constitution.
via Woodrow Wilson, who was attacking the US Constitution daily.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:43 AM

167 posts, read 164,425 times
The President is still a human being, and threatening human beings with death is very frowned upon. So why are people so mad he got what he deserved?

Old 09-16-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I don't care who it is hoarding ammo, it's not "fine." I live amongst people where most own guns. It is not normal for those gun owners to stockpile ammo. The people who hoard ammo are, almost by definition, imbalanced nutcases. The kind you see posting everyday on this forum about guns. As I said, there are plenty of others with fixations on single things. The difference is they're fixated on NASCAR, My Little Pony, Star Trek or Corvettes. The demographic who is fixated on guns is unique. They are usually paranoid individuals who live in perpetual fear. If you doubt me, ask them. Ask them who they fear. What you will find is that they fear nearly everyone. That's one of the reasons they hoard guns and ammo. They're afraid of everyone. Everyone is coming to get them and their guns. Why in the world any sane individual would not worry about anyone hoarding ammo is beyond me.

The few I have known who are fixated ( not the general gun owning population) seem to fear everyone. They can't watch TV, eat dinner or take a shower without being armed.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
Sounds like your average conservative, rabid but not too bright. Probably a city-data poster.
About 50% of the population identifies as conservative. How many of them have you known to reach these distorted conclusions?

People who post anonymously on internet forums are often far more brazen than they are in real life.

Old 09-16-2013, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Lefties have a mental block in the fact that they think that the gubmint will always be right there to help you.
About 50% of the population identify with being liberal. How many of them have you known to arrive at this distorted conclusion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies