Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2013, 09:14 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Walgreen's and Wal-Mart are two different companies. You are using them in your post as if they are interchangeable.
Good grief. He used "Walmart" in place of "Walgreens" one time and you found it contemptible enough to actually mention it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
The way private companies are approaching this shift in health coverage is similar to what Congressman Ryan proposed, a premium support subsidy for Medicare - by the companies in this case, by the federal government in Ryan's proposal.

What is ironic is the administration and its supporters, who loudly and viciously attacked Ryan's proposal as unfair....., are effectively forcing the same model onto the millions of low wage employees, via the health exchanges. buy your coverage through the exchanges and we'll supplement your premium.

A hundred bucks a month premium will not buy much in the way of coverage, btw.
Having visited the health exchanges (for a friend), they low premiums seem to invariably accompany high deductibles. Virtually non-insurance for low-wage workers, with $5000 and even $10000 deductibles.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:15 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Oh, I get that. I'm simply pointing out how subsidies and their adequacy can be ugly in the instance of Congressman Ryan's Medicare proposal and beautiful in the eyes of the pwogs/neo-libs, when it is their baby.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is just what the individual has to outlay. The rest of the premium is subsidized by Uncle Sam.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Good grief. He used "Walmart" in place of "Walgreens" one time and you found it contemptible enough to actually mention it?

I didn't find it contemptible at all. I thought it worth pointing out because it was confusing.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:18 AM

Exactly my point. As a small business owner, in very good health, I understand the low cost/high deductibility insurance business model. Until the feds outlaw health insurance profit - can that be far down the rode? - they still have a business model to support.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Having visited the health exchanges (for a friend), they low premiums seem to invariably accompany high deductibles. Virtually non-insurance for low-wage workers, with $5000 and even $10000 deductibles.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
I'm sure Walgreen employees won't mind this:

For millions, insurance will cost less than $100/month
What a tool..

Tell me where the $7500 in subsidy money will come from? Hint.. TAXES

So if I charge you taxes, and then give you money back, is it really only $100 a month?

Only a dam fool would say yes

Old 09-18-2013, 09:20 AM

13,900 posts, read 9,771,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Talk about gullible!
You're right, I should get all of my information from conservatively biased new sources.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 AM

I want to assure all of my friends and foes here that I am not changing my conservative stripes, but that is sooooo unfair. Just hear a high pitch shrill pwog whine for the bolded part of the preceding sentence.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
Strange, though, how the unions, Congress, and over 2000 businesses who requested (and received) waivers seemed to mind.

Obama's never going to be able to live down the fact that so many want out of his big plan.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:22 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is just what the individual has to outlay. The rest of the premium is subsidized by Uncle Sam.
The Walgreens employees are not going on the public exchanges but on private exchanges that are similar to Obamacare ones. There is no subsidy from the taxpayer though. Completely different in that respect. It is a positive development. Instead of employees getting whatever plan HR negotiates for the company, they will now go to a private exchange and pick a plan that suits them best. When individuals start making their own health insurance decisions instead of relying on their employer, there will be competition for enrollees and costs will come down.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:23 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
The latest victims of Obamacare. Look what those meanies at Walgreens did...from Bloomberg - "About 160,000 Walgreen employees now have to choose which coverage plan suits them best at a time of rising complexity in the health-care system. While Walgreen said it will provide funding in 2014 equal to what workers get now, the move curtails uncertainty on future outlays, and there’s no guarantee its contribution will rise if premiums do."

Walgreen Joins in Exodus of Workers to Private Exchanges - Bloomberg

Walgreens will provide funding for their employees, but at a fixed rate. As health care costs go up, it will be up to the employee to cover the difference. So Walmarts joins the growing list of companies shifting the burden of healthcare onto their employees and the government.

Who could have seen this coming, eh? We'll have to start a sticky soon of all the people who’ve lost their health coverage due to wonders of Obamacare.

From CBS...

CBS: ObamaCare Causing Walgreens To Change Employee Health Plans - YouTube
Why should it be a problem? If companies can do this, it will reduce their operating expenses of employers dramatically. I hope the exchanges stir up competition and bring down the prices and in process reduce the burden on employers. One of the main arguments over the last decade for a HC reform has been the skyrocketing cost to the employers, and this could make a huge impact in the right direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies