Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 10:33 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,994,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifloridafan View Post
Ron Paul is a libertarian republican.
No, he is a Libertarian pretending to be a Republican for election purposes, you are either one or the other and his ideals are all Libertarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2013, 10:44 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,402,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
I spent years in libertarianism and, based upon discussions on this forum, have read more libertarian thought than anyone on this board. Whenever it comes up and I pose pertinent questions to self-described "libertarians," they invariably fall back upon two things to avoid answering those pertinent questions:

1. "You don't know anything about libertarianism!"

2. "Just because I'm a libertarian doesn't mean I have to believe X, Y and Z!" X, Y and Z, when I bring them up, are fundamentals of American libertarianism that you sort of have to believe in order to legitimately call yourself a libertarian.

No, the problem isn't that critics don't understand libertarianism, it's that you guys usually don't know it.
Number one is a valid point but as for number two

Do you mean to imply that libertarians or any other adherants to any other political group or movement must be 100% uniform in their beliefes?

I consider myself a libertarian but I vehemently oppose abortion. Are you going to tell me I'm not a libertarian unless I'm pro choice now?

Old 09-26-2013, 11:44 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,875,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
Number one is a valid point but as for number two

Do you mean to imply that libertarians or any other adherants to any other political group or movement must be 100% uniform in their beliefes?

I consider myself a libertarian but I vehemently oppose abortion. Are you going to tell me I'm not a libertarian unless I'm pro choice now?
For me, yes, I would say that you are not a libertarian because libertarianism implies that the government should have no control over the choices in an individual's life - basically self-determination.

If you do not believe that individuals are capable of making their own family and medical decisions, then how can you call yourself a libertarian since that is basically the core belief of libertarianism.

ETA: That said, if you personally don't believe it but you have no problem with other people having one based on their own decisions, then you are a libertarian.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:07 PM

1,137 posts, read 1,402,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
For me, yes, I would say that you are not a libertarian because libertarianism implies that the government should have no control over the choices in an individual's life - basically self-determination.

If you do not believe that individuals are capable of making their own family and medical decisions, then how can you call yourself a libertarian since that is basically the core belief of libertarianism.

ETA: That said, if you personally don't believe it but you have no problem with other people having one based on their own decisions, then you are a libertarian.

I look at it differently.

As a libertarian I say that people should have the freedom to do whatever they want as long as they are not harming anyone else. I think we can both agree that this is a basic libertarian tenet. Libetraianism does not condone murder, pedophilia, rape etc etc

I believe that life begins at conception and that abortion is actually the unnecessary taking of a life. To me this falls under the "unless it harms someone else" standard.

Old 09-26-2013, 01:42 PM

15,896 posts, read 12,030,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
I look at it differently.

As a libertarian I say that people should have the freedom to do whatever they want as long as they are not harming anyone else. I think we can both agree that this is a basic libertarian tenet. Libetraianism does not condone murder, pedophilia, rape etc etc

I believe that life begins at conception and that abortion is actually the unnecessary taking of a life. To me this falls under the "unless it harms someone else" standard.

I can certainly understand that line of thinking. It is a touchy subject for me to say the least. I've not had to experience that with any females that I've dated back in the day, nor my wife. Thank goodness.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:17 AM

79,909 posts, read 44,404,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Many classic libertarians won't support or vote for him because he supports laws strictly prohibiting abortion.
He believes life is the ultimate form of liberty. It is why he also doesn't support the death penalty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies