Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2013, 02:14 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,663,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
And the difference between this and the views of most liberal Democrats is what exactly?
not a d$^% thing, he is just trolling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2013, 02:18 PM

29,639 posts, read 16,663,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
The idea that all regulations are bad is actually a Republican talking point. I'm pretty sure you knew that though.
I think that was his point. Although, it seems Republicans are starting to put that talking point in action.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:50 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,474,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
Are you kidding me?
Platform | Libertarian Party

Perhaps you could read this and then post which parts appeal to white supremacists. From what I read its pretty much antithetical to their beliefs.

Old 09-19-2013, 02:56 PM

1,805 posts, read 1,474,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The problem with that is Libertarians are not in the center, you missed that didn't ya or are you simply ignoring that fact.
I asked a SIMPLE question, I see you cannot name any accomplishments by any Libertarians even though they have been around for quite a few years now. Got it, Libertarians are all talk not walk.
Elected Officials | Libertarian Party

This should get you started. Unless you wish to define what exactly you mean by "accomplishments".

Old 09-19-2013, 03:05 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,123,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
The problem for libertarians is that there are so many different groups of people that lay claim to the title. Lately it seems the bulk of supposed libertarians are in reality just the far right religious wacko wing of the GOP.

Is Glenn Beck and his anti-abortion, anti-gay, anti-Muslim, pro-war stances a libertarian?

Why are so many libertarians aligned with the Tea Party movement? The same Tea Party that consistently takes an anti-freedom approach on things like gay marriage or drug prohibition and that has many members that are part of the religious right and that fully support their authoritarianism.

What about Sarah Palin and Michelle Bachmann, they use the title are they truly representative of libertarianism?

Even on C-D, you will find self proclaimed libertarians that support things like border fences and harsh crackdowns on undocumented immigrants. Positions that are the exact opposite of the pro-freedom stance of the actual Libertarian Party.
^this is why I blow them off as irrelevent...Palin,Beck et al claim the title and anyone that aligns themselves with the likes of that bunch is a total joke...not saying they all are by any stretch of the imagination,but that's the "modern" way of things...something comes along that MAY be decent and the next thing you know the leaches like Palin,Beck,Limpbaugh and the rest of that ilk proclaim Guru status of the block party and make the whole thing laughable.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:09 PM

47,070 posts, read 26,190,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
That is 100% true that those people exist, but it doesn't address the people who criticize libertarianism who know nothing about it. That's what this thread is about.
Well, that IS a huge part of the problem. The brand is diluted, as a marketing exec would say.

If somebody steps up to proclaim they're Libertarian, I have no idea whether they're just bashful Republicans, raging Anarchists, losers who're convinced that government coercion is what keeps them from becoming millionaires, 17-year olds who just read "Atlas Shrugged" or people who just want a smart word for "I got mine, scr.w you!", to name a few of the varieties I've encountered.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:22 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,520,743 times
The underlying flaw in Libertarianism is that it assumes that people are rational beings that will logically think things through before taking action. The reality is that people are flawed and are more easily swayed by emotions, fear, and personal biases to the point that they may act against their best interests. This is something both major parties know and use to their advantage. It's also why Libertarianism will never appeal beyond the 2% of the population.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:28 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,225,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vejadu View Post
I don't know if it's misunderstanding Libertarianism, or simply the fact that it's easy to dismiss Libertarians when you draw absurd conclusions (which usually amounts to comparing it to Anarchy) about their beliefs. Libertarians believe in limited government, not no government.
you mean like allowing the government to ban abortions??

Old 09-19-2013, 03:33 PM

6,940 posts, read 9,710,429 times
If you're a white supremacist, you're more likely to be a conservative/libertarian.

Bill Maher is right.

There's nothing to dispute this. And please don't mention the Dixiecrats or anything pertaining to 40 plus years ago. We're talking now.

Old 09-19-2013, 03:33 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,296,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
you mean like allowing the government to ban abortions??
Libertarians don't think the government has a say on abortions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies