Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2013, 04:26 AM

71 posts, read 70,096 times

Advertisements

The USA has been a country for a mere couple hundred years. Jesus lived on earth 2000 years ago.

Is there any reason that each rinky-dinky town in america needs a "historical" district/neighborhood.

Can't we be more reasonable and only waste tax payer money on about 5% of the historical places/buildings than we currently are?

Memorials are another thing. Yes, I understand that people feel that we are "honoring" the dead or whoever by putting a memorial there. But I beg to differ. The dead don't care about being honored by some metal plaque with their name on it.

You never see those "ghost busting guys" trying to find spirits at memorials. Why? Because the dead don't give a crap about them. So why do we spend so much money on it? Is it because politicians who send are young people to war secretly feel bad about it and don't know how to show true compassion and respect?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2013, 04:38 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,311,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnight12am View Post
The USA has been a country for a mere couple hundred years. Jesus lived on earth 2000 years ago.

Is there any reason that each rinky-dinky town in america needs a "historical" district/neighborhood.

Can't we be more reasonable and only waste tax payer money on about 5% of the historical places/buildings than we currently are?

Memorials are another thing. Yes, I understand that people feel that we are "honoring" the dead or whoever by putting a memorial there. But I beg to differ. The dead don't care about being honored by some metal plaque with their name on it.

You never see those "ghost busting guys" trying to find spirits at memorials. Why? Because the dead don't give a crap about them. So why do we spend so much money on it? Is it because politicians who send are young people to war secretly feel bad about it and don't know how to show true compassion and respect?
It is important to preserve the past. It teaches us. It reveals our culture to others. It is important to know where you have been, to know your 'roots.'

Nearly all historical landmarks and memorials in towns and cities are preserved or created through private donations. Do you have some data that shows otherwise? You didn't cite any.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:49 AM

71 posts, read 70,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
It is important to preserve the past. It teaches us. It reveals our culture to others. It is important to know where you have been, to know your 'roots.'
I agree, but we have thousands of cities that are all doing practically the same thing. It's very redundant. It would probably bore the heck out of people in 1000 years, let alone how it already bores most people.

Quote:
Nearly all historical landmarks and memorials in towns and cities are preserved or created through private donations. Do you have some data that shows otherwise? You didn't cite any.
No, I'm not a researcher.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:01 AM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,232 times
Quote:
237 Years to be precise.

Quote:
Because each town has its own unique history.

Quote:
Okay, which 95% are we going to let fall into ruin?

Quote:
Memorials are never designed for the dead, they are for the living.

Quote:
Or the "ghost busting guys" (assuming of course you believe they actually look for ghosts instead of gullible television viewers) don't go to memorials because usually the folks honored on them did not die in that location. As to who builds them, it is usually common people or folks who were also there but somehow survived. The Vietnam Veterans Memorial comes to mind while discussing this.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:18 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:

I love historical districts and memorials. Here are a few of my favorites-

Charleston peninsula
Savannah
Beacon Hill
Pearl Harbor
Vicksburg
Gettysburg
Lincoln Memorial

Beyond teaching history, these sites are tourist attractions and bring revenue to communities. Memorials are not for the dead, but to instruct the living.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:52 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times
Quote:

This. Also, as hawkeye2009 pointed out - historical districts are a revenue source for many cities/towns. It both preserves the culture of the area and markets the city so that people will come to visit and spend money there.

Also, most historical districts are renovated via private funds or organizations that fund historic preservation. The state does sometimes put up markers - here in Atlanta, I live on the Westside, we have a lot of Civil War historical markers put up by the state. It reminds me of the great past of this area and how many people fought and died and humbles me at times as most of the markers near me mark Sherman's march to the sea, the battle of Ezra Church, and locations of previous Civil War Era cemeteries whose bodies were moved to other areas due to development.

A couple years ago Matthew Broderick was on a show about genealogy on CBS and it was discovered that his 4th great grandfather died in the Civil War and was initially buried near my house.

We should use these markers to learn of the mistakes and triumphs of our ancestors.

Quote:
I agree, but we have thousands of cities that are all doing practically the same thing. It's very redundant. It would probably bore the heck out of people in 1000 years, let alone how it already bores most people.

No, I'm not a researcher.
In regards to your first paragraph, people STILL go and see hundred and thousand year old historical sites so I beg to differ in your opinion. There are many of us history buffs out there. Whenever I go to any place I go on some sort of tour of an historical area. My primary interest are plantations, especially slave quarters. There aren't many of them left because people like you maybe thought no one would like to visit them, but I like to in order to remind my kids of how good they have it. I also visit slave auction sites here in the south and love the Geechee/Gullah culture of the SE on the sea islands, many of which were re-developed into resorts so we only have a few of these jewels left like Sapelo here in GA.

On the bold portion, you shouldn't make threads about something you evidently know nothing about. There are many historic preservation organizations. They fund raise from the general public and interested corporate/commercial businesses and use these funds to advocate for historical markers, they give home owners in historic districts funds to repair and restore homes to their original conditions.

Here in Atlanta we have a lot of great architecture, primarily IMO in our neighborhoods. So many of the commercial buildings downtown were destroyed during the Civil War so our neighborhoods hold most of the historical culture of the city and I know I thoroughly enjoy our historical areas as do many residents. And FWIW, I'm not even a native Atlantan. I am from Ohio but grew to love an appreciation for historic architecture due to my grandparents living in a beautiful mid 19th century Victorian. I hope to one day buy an old house and restore it as well.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:56 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:

Yeah screw history. After all, didn't Putin just say we're not that exceptional?

The money spent on memorials is just a drop in the bucket compared to the excessive waste being pushed through by congress.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:57 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Looking at where america is today, its pretty safe to say it has learned nothing from history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies