Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2007, 05:16 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,322,394 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
My point of view? I already said that my point of view is that I don't care. Mandated school prayer is one thing, "moments of silence" I'm ambiguous about-- I don't think they're illegal, I just think they're silly. What did you write to that other guy earlier, something about "you and fish are always trying to make me feel more extreme than I am," or something like that?
Shhh. I'm having a moment of silence.

(That is legal, right?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2007, 05:18 PM

2,881 posts, read 6,086,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
And how is time set aside for prayer going to fix that? It won't.
Who said setting time aside for prayer?

Old 11-17-2007, 05:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,273,993 times
tinman, from other posts, it appears that you have strong christian beliefs. Therefore, it would seem, to you, that this is a non-issue.

It is a very big issue to many of us who are not christian and are well-acquainted with christian tactics and deception.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
It is a very big issue to many of us who are not christian and are well-acquainted with christian tactics and deception.
Please describe some, so that we can be on our guard.

Consider it a public service for those of us unacquainted with these enemies of the state.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
The answer is obvious: it's important to THEM. Just because something isn't important to you doesn't mean it can't be important to anyone.
I should clarify... I don't think that the people protesting are stupid, or have no good reason to protest, it's just that I don't understand what that reason is exactly, you know? The law itself seems like something that was a waste of time to make and causes wastes of time in class, but I don't see how it significantly impacts anyone, either positively or negatively. And this is coming from a very non-religious person who is completely against any sort of mandated school prayer. It's weird to be challenged from both sides as if to each I belong to "the other team" (you and Yeledaf)...

Old 11-17-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I should clarify... I don't think that the people protesting are stupid, or have no good reason to protest, it's just that I don't understand what it is exactly, you know? The law itself seems like something that was a waste of time to make and causes wastes of time in class, but I don't see how it significantly impacts anyone, either positively or negatively. And this is coming from a very non-religious person who is completely against any sort of mandated school prayer. It's weird to be challenged from both sides (you and Yeledaf)...
I'm not challenging you, fish.

I'm just having a little fun pointing out the absurdity of "banning silence."

Old 11-17-2007, 06:05 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,998,674 times
Nobody would argue that "banning silence" wouldn't be absurd, but now that I think about it when I look back at what the judge in the court who ruled against the law he does make some good points. To me it would depend on how the individual schools make the dumb law happen -- are some of them telling kids to pray, or are they just telling them to "reflect silently" for a minute? If the lawmakers weren't intending to urge kids to pray, then why is "Student Prayer" part of the law's title? Were the creators more concerned with getting kids to "reflect silently" or with getting them to pray? I don't know, I guess it could be "abused."

Last edited by fishmonger; 11-17-2007 at 06:14 PM..

Old 11-17-2007, 06:07 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
tinman, from other posts, it appears that you have strong christian beliefs. Therefore, it would seem, to you, that this is a non-issue.

You assume incorrectly. I have no religious leanings. Quite the opposite. I detest religous dogma.
My point being there are huge problems in our schools today not the least of which is a failing education system. Rather than waste money on stupid or frivilous law suits perhaps the focus should be on repairing a broken education system.
The moment of silence harms no one. Use it for what ever you like. No one talks about prayer, or god ,or allah, or buddah, or shiva or any of the thousands of dieties.
I do know this, if these leftists have no other concerns or nothing more important than a moment of silence they need to get a life. Go out and take a fresh breath of reality.
As for any of my posts when have I ever thumped a bible?????

Old 11-17-2007, 06:14 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,103,650 times
I don't know about "unconstitutional", but perhaps coconut-humping retarded.

There's at least one "moment of silence" already in almost every single school day. Be it in study hall or the time in the beginning and end of classes where teachers instruct students to work quietly. On the rare day where students aren't given any of those periods, they can use the 5 minutes of not listening to their algebra teacher to pray to God to let the fire alarm ring. But they're already doing that as well.

This type of legislation is an insult to everyone, especially when the Illinois legislature was busy ignoring things that matter to millions of Illinoisians, like solving the RTA budget crisis.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:25 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,214,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
I don't know about "unconstitutional", but perhaps coconut-humping retarded.

There's at least one "moment of silence" already in almost every single school day. Be it in study hall or the time in the beginning and end of classes where teachers instruct students to work quietly. On the rare day where students aren't given any of those periods, they can use the 5 minutes of not listening to their algebra teacher to pray to God to let the fire alarm ring. But they're already doing that as well.

This type of legislation is an insult to everyone, especially when the Illinois legislature was busy ignoring things that matter to millions of Illinoisians, like solving the RTA budget crisis.
Exactly.... so many dire issues still unresolved and they focus on this. Tax payer dollars at work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies