Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 07:51 AM

23 posts, read 26,780 times

Advertisements

Thomas Paine was the author of a very important pamphlet called Common Sense that was published in 1776. He wrote a compelling argument for independence from Great Britain. His pamphlet convinced many colonists and founding fathers of the wisdom of open rebellion against the British if necessary. Further, he published another pamphlet called The Crisis during the Revolutionary War that helped spur on the soldiers to fight. [from about history.com]

I think if he was a bible thumping idiot many here would be jumping on the band wagon that he was the very essence of founding father. The Christian Jesus freaks always pick and choose what they like and don't based only on what they feel supports their argument.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:04 AM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griddlelock View Post
Thomas Paine was the author of a very important pamphlet called Common Sense that was published in 1776. He wrote a compelling argument for independence from Great Britain. His pamphlet convinced many colonists and founding fathers of the wisdom of open rebellion against the British if necessary. Further, he published another pamphlet called The Crisis during the Revolutionary War that helped spur on the soldiers to fight. [from about history.com]

I think if he was a bible thumping idiot many here would be jumping on the band wagon that he was the very essence of founding father. The Christian Jesus freaks always pick and choose what they like and don't based only on what they feel supports their argument.
Exactly. I agree 100%, especially with the last paragraph. I have Common Sense and it is the best "book" I have ever read. It should be a requirement in every school. It can so apply to today. The phamplet is timeless and inspiring. If only people would take time to read it and realize what inspired it is so similar to what is going on today. All you need to do is replace the monarchy, the King, with the United States Government.

Old 09-28-2013, 08:11 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,752,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by griddlelock View Post

no. thomas paine did not sign, or author any official documents. he was an author, not a founder. you sound very angry. perhaps you should learn something from people like paine and jefferson. they seemed pretty laid back. everyone picks and chooses what they like and don't like based on what supports their arguments. are you new to politics?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:13 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chango View Post
...We'd all become mormons.

Huntsman for president in 2014... if he wins, you'll get free underwear!
LOL...what he running for president of the Senate?

Old 09-28-2013, 08:18 AM

6,512 posts, read 7,549,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FKD19124 View Post
American still is. it was founded on Christian principles despite what the muslim in the white house thinks.
I appreciate the Saturday morning chuckle.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:11 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I have seen that list too, and it is inaccurate. it lumps both jefferson and madison into the first category. deism isn't considered a religion.
It is listed under Unitarians

Old 09-28-2013, 09:19 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
um, the jury is still out on whether or not barack obama is human.
Are you the guy who believes our President is cloth?

Typical Florida Person Creates Year’s Best Campaign Sign

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Practically all of them were Christian. There was only one unitarian deist among them.
False. Just off the top of my head, I know that Adams and Robert Treat Paine were Unitarian. Rush was Universalist. Thomas Paine, Franklin and Jefferson were unchurched Deists.

Quote:
EVERY SINGLE State Constitution mentions God
God isn't specific to Christianity.

Quote:
the Creator.
False. You just made that up. Your need to do that probably should have been a hint that you were committing a deception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Unofficially America is a Christian nation.
Unofficially, America is a non-Christian nation. And my declaration was just as valid and significant as yours. It is very easy to dictate something unofficial.

Last edited by bUU; 09-28-2013 at 09:29 AM..

Old 09-28-2013, 09:33 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
God isn't specific to Christianity.
How many muslims, hindus etc were among the founders? None. They believed in the Christian God, except for the Unitarian one.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:41 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
They believed in the Christian God, except for the Unitarian one.
And the Unitarians have continued to grow as a religion and now respect all source's of God's wisdom, not just Judeo-Christian, but also Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist, Taoist, Native American, etc. That is the true evolution of the beliefs and values that founded this nation.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:47 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,922,570 times
Which flavor of the 1001 sects that make up christianity would the bible-bashers want as their 'official' religion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies